This was Gurode's first year as a starter at center

sago1

Reaction score
Don't get some of you people. Talk about misinformation. Some of you most have been watching games that I never heard/saw). Somebody posted on our other board that Gurode had been a center since 02 and essentially had only one good year (06) at that position yet we reward him with big contract.

You better go back and check Cowboy stats. Gurodes was drafted in 02 and started approx 6 games at center before getting hurt. When he returned, he was moved to OG and did not play the center position (except for few occasions when either Johnson was out) over the next few years and did not excell at OG.

In 05 Parcells decided Gurode's real position was at C and Gurode & Johnson competed for the starting job but Johnson won out cause, although Gurode more physical ability, he havng difficulty matching the mental aspects of center play. At end of 05 season Gurode became a FA and was offered a contract by the Rams. Parcells still believed Gurode had ability to become starting center and offered Gurode a ONE YEAR contract for $1.5M--far above Rams' offer--so Gurode returned to Cowboys. Parcells stated during 06 preseason/TC that Gurode now noticeably more mature (helped by Cowboys letting OT Torrin Tucker to leave); Parcells believed Tucker was a mental distraction on Gurode. In 06 TC Gurode beat out Johnson and became the starting center--a position he never lost.

So posters who somehow think Gurode was playing center for several years and now finally had a good year plain wrong. This was his first year as a starter and he should continue to grow in that job; he played well this year.

Did we probably have to pay more then we wanted, I suspect so but if we had waited he could easily have cost a lot more or we might even have lost him in FA. The idea that Johnson could replace Gurode is simly not a possibility for any length of time. Johnson simply lacks the physical strength/leverage/whatever to contain the big DL that he must face continually. And the idea we let Gurode go, re-sign Johnson and then use a draft pick to grab another center simply doesn't make sense.

We must add a RG, maybe an OT, a NT, CB and maybe a FS (I do hope Watkins can be the answer this year), etc. It doubtful we could even get a good enough center who could actually start for us or who sits while a lesser center plays. The idea is to improve our OL not to go backwards. We need to upgrade 2 OL players, let's not increase the number.

superpunk

Reaction score
What about the idea that it took him 5 years to get a starting job - ONLY did so when he was in a contract year - and didn't play that well as a starter?

What about that idea?

Resigning him is fine. He's young, it can't hurt - UNLESS we signed a stupid contract (6 years....I dunno). Then - it hurts, if he goes back to being unfocused, underachieving, PAID Gurode.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He started at center as a rookie so that would be his first year at center. 2006 would be his second year as a starter at center. But he also started a lot of games at guard and has never shown to be a consistent player. Not even last year.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Gurode got moved to RG because he was having problems with line adustments among other things and almost got lost in the numbers when he got moved to RG. He finally started putting things together last year after being moved back to center. However, I don't think he was anywhere close to all-world and hope we didn't spend too much on him.

If Gurode was worth highest payed for his position, he would accell no matter where he was at on the line.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I hope that Gurode just needed to play at C and learn there until he finally got "it". That once he got "it" he bacame the player that so many thought he would be out of college.

I hope he doesn't become compacent and simply coast.

For the record, I think it is the former and that he is a good C now and will be for years.

:pray2:

Angus

Reaction score
He has had a taste of the Pro Bowl and may want more. That could be incentive enough to chase away lackadaisical impulses.

:eek::

DBoys

Reaction score
Gurode was the brightest spot on the OL last year. He manhandled people. Even in the Pro Bowl he was dominant. A lot of us said he would be a stud at C and we were right.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
DBoys;1384320 said:
Gurode was the brightest spot on the OL last year. He manhandled people. Even in the Pro Bowl he was dominant. A lot of us said he would be a stud at C and we were right.
Gurode was dominated in the pro bowl, he couldn't even get a push for Romo on a qb sneak at the goal line for crying out loud. What games have you been watching? He spends a lot of time watching the opponent run by him.

DBoys

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1384325 said:
Gurode was dominated in the pro bowl, he couldn't even get a push for Romo on a qb sneak at the goal line for crying out loud. What games have you been watching? He spends a lot of time watching the opponent run by him.

So you use 1 play to summarize a season, brilliant :rolleyes:

I wonder which side of the fence you were on hahaha

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk;1384190 said:
What about the idea that it took him 5 years to get a starting job - ONLY did so when he was in a contract year - and didn't play that well as a starter?

What about that idea?

Resigning him is fine. He's young, it can't hurt - UNLESS we signed a stupid contract (6 years....I dunno). Then - it hurts, if he goes back to being unfocused, underachieving, PAID Gurode.

He had a starting job in, what, his second year? It was just at G. It took him 5 years to get to start at C. But he beat out a 2nd round pick that Parcells was high on and ended up a pro-bowl alternate. which says something. I also think he deserves some credit for how he handled the Haynesworthless stomping.

I also don't recall motivation ever being the problem for Gurode. IIRC, he was always nasty, strong, and worked hard. He just had problems with concentration. Yes, you worry about a guy that only really delivers big in a contract year, but it's not like the guy's got a history of being an undermotivated underachiever.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Gurode was a "A" student at colorado, and it was not in basket weaving. BP believed that Gurode tended to overthink things too much.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
burmafrd;1384345 said:
Gurode was a "A" student at colorado, and it was not in basket weaving. BP believed that Gurode tended to overthink things too much.

Yep, and I remember Ryan Young on the radio saying that Gurode was a smart guy and he did work very hard. He couldn't figure out why Gurode was so inconsistent, because he said Andre was smart and diligent. Like Parcells, he also concluded that maybe Gurode actually overthought things.

I'm not 100% sold on him due to his old mental snafus, but I don't think that laziness following a big payday is what will bring him down.

superpunk

Reaction score
Idgit;1384342 said:
He had a starting job in, what, his second year? It was just at G. It took him 5 years to get to start at C. But he beat out a 2nd round pick that Parcells was high on and ended up a pro-bowl alternate. which says something.
Does it really - for an Olineman? It's not like voters can point to some quantifying stat and say - that guy's good. You gotta get your name in lights somehow. Which leads us to....
I also think he deserves some credit for how he handled the Haynesworthless stomping.
He was a nice guy about it. It also got him noticed, particularly because he was dominating Haynesworth. His play faded as the season went on, though.
I also don't recall motivation ever being the problem for Gurode. IIRC, he was always nasty, strong, and worked hard. He just had problems with concentration. Yes, you worry about a guy that only really delivers big in a contract year, but it's not like the guy's got a history of being an undermotivated underachiever.
Doesn't the fact that he didn't really do anything for four years, and only "got it" when it was re-up time, kind of suggest undermotivated underachiever?

It's harder to judge, I guess, since he was moved around in a stupid attempt to make him play guard, even if his body type does lend itself to being a mauling guard. I'm just very wary of that guy. He was nothing special last season. Just an average player. Could be a product of playing next to a pinata, we'll see.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
superpunk;1384391 said:
Doesn't the fact that he didn't really do anything for four years, and only "got it" when it was re-up time, kind of suggest undermotivated underachiever?

It's harder to judge, I guess, since he was moved around in a stupid attempt to make him play guard, even if his body type does lend itself to being a mauling guard. I'm just very wary of that guy. He was nothing special last season. Just an average player. Could be a product of playing next to a pinata, we'll see.
Underachiever, perhaps. But if it took him a while to grasp the mental part of the game (not to overthink things) that could be an explanation. Undermotivation may have nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying Gurode will be a world beater, but if he continues to progress, it'll be a nice deal considering the trend of salaries leaguewide.

superpunk

Reaction score
windward;1384393 said:
Underachiever, perhaps. But if it took him a while to grasp the mental part of the game (not to overthink things) that could be an explanation. Undermotivation may have nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying Gurode will be a world beater, but if he continues to progress, it'll be a nice deal considering the trend of salaries leaguewide.

The way I feel about it is totally dependant on his salary. I think we can assume, since the deal was done so quickly, didn't get ugly, that the team got a deal they thought was great on him - otherwise they may have let him test the market and see if he was really worth the dough.

The deal will probably be pretty good for us. Pay him like an ok center, not a great one, and it makes sense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
DBoys;1384331 said:
So you use 1 play to summarize a season, brilliant :rolleyes:

I wonder which side of the fence you were on hahaha
I'm actually the one looking at his whole body of work which was inconsistent. Your coming up with BS that you have nothing at all to back up with. And the QB sneak is the easiest and most successful way to get a half yard at the goalline and he got stoned in his "dominating" performance that you made up.

Reaction score
Some of you guys act like players cannot get better through the years. You act like you know that if a player comes out of the box as average, then he will never be any better than average. For you, I submit that Cris Carter was nothing special at the beginning of his career. I could list 100 other guys who got better as their career went on (ex. Ekuban). I could list 3000 other guys who started out like gang busters and then tanked.
The guy played well last year, but not great. Did he get paid big money? For you and me, YES. For a starter in today's NFL, no so great.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
johnnybluestar;1384638 said:
Some of you guys act like players cannot get better through the years. You act like you know that if a player comes out of the box as average, then he will never be any better than average. For you, I submit that Cris Carter was nothing special at the beginning of his career. I could list 100 other guys who got better as their career went on (ex. Ekuban). I could list 3000 other guys who started out like gang busters and then tanked.
The guy played well last year, but not great. Did he get paid big money? For you and me, YES. For a starter in today's NFL, no so great.

:hammer: exactly, Gurode put it together mentally to go along w/ his physical gifts, in his 1st year at C, throw away his rookie year, that was only 6 games, that's nothing, esp. when it's only 6 games of your 1st year

some people are just late bloomers

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Gurode is kinda like Nate Newton. Slow start to his career, but coming on strong as time goes on. Don't let he and the young gun go, and this means Gurode and Columbo.

Kosier has speed, not size and bulk to dominate. Flozell is fine as long as he can get his hands and body on you, but if you use speed, he's worthless. Rivera sucks!

Gurode is a young and up and comer, young as in wear and tear.