This won't get fixed until the Jones family wakes up

Sydla

Reaction score
I apologize for the length.

Garrett is not the answer. Of course people will argue it's hard to judge a coach when he's out his stud QB but the reality is this team continually makes mistakes that have nothing to do with who is playing QB for us. Here's the reality............ teams that make the mistakes we make over and over and over are inadequately coached. That's why coaches get fired. Not necessarily because their scheme doesn't work. It's because they simply don't have their teams prepared and ready to play fundamental football. That's a big problem with Garrett coached teams.

He's a .500 coach plain and simple. He's gotten a lot of traction out of last season but reality is he's closer to an 8-8 coach that we saw for 3 straight seasons than a 12-4 coach.

Yesterday was a prime example of another of his flaws. He's too conservative. If there was ever a time to be a bit more aggressive, that was the game. You are 2-4 and seeing your season spiral down the toilet bowl. You just made a big stop and got the ball back with a lead. Take a chance. No, I am not saying that we needed Cassel to throw 45 times and attack down field. Yes, I saw Cassell throw three picks against the Giants but I am not suggesting you turn him into Tom Brady. But I am saying when you find yourself in a situation where you stop Seattle and can control some clock, three straight runs up the gut against a defense selling out against the run is idiotic but typical for Garrett if you've paid attention to how he coaches games over the years. Maybe try a bubble screen and try to attack the perimeter and get a few yards instead of just running right into the heart of a stacked front? Try to get the defense running laterally instead of straight ahead into your conservative run call.

People can continually delude themselves into thinking that as soon as Romo comes back, it's all good.

It won't be all good. This season is likely lost already. I can't see this team beating Philly and if they lose to Philly, there is no shot they make the playoffs sitting at 2-6. People will then write the season off to injuries and assume we'll kick butt in 2016 but sadly, Garrett and this staff will absolutely hinder us again going forward.

Jones talks so openly about his love for Romo but clearly he has more faith and admiration for Garrett than Romo. Because if he really loved Romo, he'd give him a fighting chance in his last few years with a real coaching staff. But he won't, we'll end up wasting ROmo and sadly we'll all look back at the Romo years and wonder what if. It's a shame Romo never got an opportunity to play for a McCarthy or Belicheck. He'd have his SB rings by now.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I think Garrett is here until Romo retires. Romo is too old to start over in a new system at this point in his career.

Sydla

Reaction score
You very well might be right. And unfortunately, I believe Romo will end his career without a SB appearance, let alone a SB ring, if that's the path the Jones family takes.

Shame, really. If there is ever a QB that deserves that chance, it's Romo, a guy who has taken the jabs and barbs from fans in this town and across the nation as he puts up Hall of Fame numbers.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I think Garrett is here until Romo retires. Romo is too old to start over in a new system at this point in his career.

I don't think JG is a terrible coach. I don't think JG is a good coach.

After 5 years I think we can all agree he is an average coach -- and thats a problem.

Coaching matters A LOT in the NFL. Having an average coach is just fine if your goal is just to compete for the playoff every year, hope for 9-10 wins, etc.

It isn't fine if your goal is to win the big game.

robjay04

Reaction score
We were pretty aggressive in the NYG game and lost the game because of it. I think it is more to do with the Seattle defense. No backup QB is going to light up that defense.

Sydla

Reaction score

After 5 years I think we can all agree he is an average coach -- and that a problem.

Coaching matters A LOT in the NFL. Having an average coach is just fine if your goal is to compete for the playoff every year, hope for 9-10 wins, etc.

Exactly. He's blah. He's not a guy that's going to go 2-14 but he's not winning you anything of significance either.

And that's frustrating to me. Because in the end, the front office and some fans will use injuries as an excuse and we'll continue this fruitless dance for a few more years until it's painfully obvious Garrett isn't the answer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

After 5 years I think we can all agree he is an average coach -- and thats a problem.

Coaching matters A LOT in the NFL. Having an average coach is just fine if your goal is to compete for the playoff every year, hope for 9-10 wins, etc.

He offers us nothing so I can't even give him the average label.

Sydla

Reaction score
We were pretty aggressive in the NYG game and lost the game because of it. I think it is more to do with the Seattle defense. No backup QB is going to light up that defense.

Again, note what I said. I never said I wanted them to drop Cassel back 45 times and sling it all over the field against Seattle. My criticism about being conservative is focused more on some key moments in the game. The largest being you just stopped Seattle, have a two point lead with 8 minutes to go and can ice the game with a decent drive and a FG, possibly.

Seattle knows what we are going to do............ try to grind it out behind our OL and they simply just worry about the run. And of course, Garrett obliges.............. three straight between the tackle runs, quickly punt the ball back to Seattle and the rest is history.

Zordon

Reaction score

He's smart enough to learn a new system. Heck the guy is pretty much the OC right now. We're going to the grave with Garrett, cut your losses now!

Doomsay

Reaction score
He's nothing more than the figmental second budding genius that Jerry didn't want to lose on his watch and we have been stuck with that mistake for the better part of a decade and almost all of Tony's unfulfilled career.

Sydla

Reaction score
How is this a rant?

Just curious. I purposely tried to leave the emotional ranting out of it.