Those tricky Commanders...LOL!

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/675534.html

Vikings ask NFL to investigate radio trouble
The Vikings didn't suggest sabotage, but their wireless system was OK before the game.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: September 13, 2006 – 8:10 PM

The Vikings asked the NFL on Wednesday to investigate a sudden disruption of their wireless communications system early in Monday night's 19-16 victory over Washington, a failure of unknown origin that forced them to send in plays manually rather than by radio.
Coach Brad Childress asked Ray Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of football operations, to "take a peak at" the problem.

The Commanders reported no such malfunctions with their equipment. Childress stopped far short of suggesting sabotage, but he said two experts could find nothing wrong with the Vikings' equipment.

Asked if the problem was the result of an intentional act, Childress said: "I don't know."

An NFL spokesman acknowledged there was an "interference problem" with the Vikings' wireless frequency. The spokesman said no specifics were available on the nature of the interference.

Most teams use some sort of wireless radio to send in offensive plays from a coach's headset to a speaker in the quarterback's helmet. Childress said two consultants travel with the team for each road game to set up the technology and provide troubleshooting.

"It worked right before we came out for the game," Childress said. "They take those helmets all over the stadium and check them in every corner. They worked before we came out [of the locker room]. They didn't work for the first play. They worked before we came out for the second half, because they rechecked everything -- batteries, cells -- and it didn't work as we started the third quarter."

The Vikings eventually resorted to a backup system of wired headsets, but on several drives -- including the opening drive in which they scored a touchdown -- Childress shuttled in plays with several receivers as well as tight end Jermaine Wiggins. "Anybody I thought that could spit it back out," Childress said.

Receiver Travis Taylor was among the group.

"Hadn't done that since Pop Warner," Taylor said. "They would give me the formation and the play. Brad [Johnson] pretty much knows the plays, so I just had to remember two or three words of it and everything was good."

Johnson ran to the sidelines on numerous occasions to pick up the play himself. The Vikings snapped the ball several times with one or two seconds remaining on the game clock, but they were not called for any delay-of-game penalties.

"That's the way it goes," Childress said, "and that's the way it goes in a noisy stadium. You better be able to adjust."

kmd24

Reaction score
They should make both teams send plays in manually if one team's wireless system doesn't work. That would eliminate any incentive to cheat.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
kmd24 said:
They should make both teams send plays in manually if one team's wireless system doesn't work. That would eliminate any incentive to cheat.

This is the part that puzzles me. Didn't Childress notify the refs? I thought that the NFL rules dictated that one team couldn't use the system if the other team's system fails. At least this is what I remember from back when they first went to the wireless system.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
kmd24 said:

I thought that was the rule. Did they change it? It seems that they used to make one team put the headsets away if the other team's sets were'nt working.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Maybe the Aliens that inhabit Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise head were interfering with the wireless communications.

I mean isnt that what crazy cruise believes in? Aliens and Ghosts or whatever scientology is?

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
theebs said:
Maybe the Aliens that inhabit Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise head were interfering with the wireless communications.

I mean isnt that what crazy cruise believes in? Aliens and Ghosts or whatever scientology is?
:lmao2:

But seriously, I remember another team having this same problem when they played the Skins at their stadium last season. Might have been us. I can't remember.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I thought that was the rule too?

and I thought Tags isn't the commish no more? what happened?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
All of these mysterious technical problems being targeted directly at the Commanders opponents certainly adds credence to aIIz's theory...who else but aliens could do this?

aIIz said:
http://img97.*************/img97/8171/joe2copyjh0.jpg​
:D

sago1

Reaction score
I also thought that was the rule. If one team's headset wireless communications didn't work, the other team had to shut off their's as well. Assuming Vikes notified refs of problem, sounds like refs screwed up. Of course Skins could have anticipated (? ha) that problem and already arranged use of head signals with their team.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
theebs said:

thats my pick for post of the day:lmao2: :lmao2:

EndGame

Reaction score
Catch-22 said:
This guy writes for a living?
Don't blame the writer ... blame his editors. Anyone can have a typo and it's one of the hardest things in the world to edit your own copy, because your brain knows what you MEANT to type, and substitutes that for what is actually on the paper. It's the editor's job to look at the copy with fresh eyes and catch stuff like that.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Om said:
Apparently, Kenneth finally found the frequency.

Burgandy.jpeg

You stay classy....Om

Om

Reaction score
By the way ... since I know everyone's holding their breath for the denouement:

Vikings' Technical Problems a 'Nonissue'

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 15, 2006; Page E04

The NFL is not investigating a failure of the Minnesota Vikings' communications system during their victory Monday night over the Washington Commanders at FedEx Field, a league spokesman said yesterday.

The league considers the episode a technical mishap and a closed matter, the spokesman said.

Minnesota Vikings Coach Brad Childress asked the NFL to look into a failure of his team's communications system during Monday night's win against Washington at FedEx Field. "It's a nonissue," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations. "It's not that uncommon. It had nothing to do with the Commanders."

According to Vikings Coach Brad Childress, the wireless communications system linking him to quarterback Brad Johnson failed during the first and third quarters, and the team had to send in some play calls by relaying them through players entering the game as substitutes. According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Childress asked Ray Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of football operations, to investigate.

But Aiello said the problem was handled that night. The trouble stemmed from interference on one wireless frequency, Aiello said, and the Vikings switched to a backup system.

Bummer. Would been so much more fun the other way. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Om said:
By the way ... since I know everyone's holding their breath for the denouement:

Bummer. Would been so much more fun the other way. :)
Release of breath...whew.

:wink2:

All Minny has to do when there is a failure like that is report it to the Refs and both teams are without wireless. If they had issues and didn't report it, then that's just silly. Childress will learn. Didn't affect the outcome of the game, so it's sort of anticlimactic anyway.

jbsg02

Reaction score
how hard would it really be to intercept a signal like that and listen to the play calls?

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
tricksy little hobbitses!

Now, if I was any good at photoshop I'd have put a pic of Sam and Frodo with Snyder and Gibbs faces, but I'm not so you will just have to imagine it.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
how hard would it really be to intercept a signal like that and listen to the play calls?
Actually I saw NFL Films do a show on the playcalling. They went through to say that to listen to the other teams' frequencies are similar to decrypting some classified information from the governments servers.

Steve Sabol interviewed someone from the Vermeil days in KC and someone from an AFC East team (Jets/Bills).

I thought they mentioned that rule, but I cant remember exactly what it was.