Thoughts about Cowboy FA thus far

CCBoy

Reaction score
My thoughts about FA thus far is: so far, so good. There's still plenty of work to be done via FA and the draft, though. Keep plugging, team!:thumbup:

We're off to a good start with the acquisition of Gerald McCoy and the re-signing of Darian Thompson. I think and hope he's ready to blossom impressively. Much the same goes for our young LB, Luke Gifford attaining good health and coming into his own.

Here's hoping Randy Gregory is finally ready to rock at DE and that the draft finds most of us celebrating happily. Here's wishing the best of good fortune to Mike McCarthy and his wisely-chosen staff, as well. :)

I like the projections with both Gerald McCoy and Randy Gregory...I'd consider the retention of Burress and picking up Irvin as well. That would rotate up front and have a bite.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Gregory will replace Quinn and McCoy replaces Collins.

We still need to replace Byron, Cobb and Heath. I think Sanders and Harris would get us ready for the draft.

cowboyec

Reaction score
big fan of signing DT Gerald McCoy.
love bringing back Cooper,Jarwin,Lee,LP.

hopefully we add another DT...DE...CB...S...WR.

and just because those holes on D get addressed in f/a....I still hit those areas in the draft.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Only thing that worries me is the age of the players they appear to be targeting.

McCoy, Chris Harris, and Emmanuel Sanders have been around a long time. I thought we were trying to get younger? Maybe Big Mike has more influence than we thought. The McCoy deal was brilliant though once I saw the numbers.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
We signed a consensus top five FA in Cooper.
We locked up a consensus top 3 FA in Dak for a min of a year
We signed a high quality FA in McCoy
We passed on a highly highly overpaid DB in Jones and get a 3rd round pick in return.
We re-signed a high ceiling TE in Jarwin that wont be handcuffed by Witten any longer
We brought back a team leader with something still in the tank in Lee
We lost a terrible safety, an old TE, a rotational level DT and a WR that can be easily replaced.
The only guy I wish we could have kept is Quinn, but we should get a decent comp pick.

I would say we've done pretty well so far in FA.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like the projections with both Gerald McCoy and Randy Gregory...I'd consider the retention of Burress and picking up Irvin as well. That would rotate up front and have a bite.

I'm thinking you meant to say Bennett and Irving? Not too sure they're in Dallas' plans but it'd surely be pretty interesting, if so. :D

Last edited:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Only thing that worries me is the age of the players they appear to be targeting.

McCoy, Chris Harris, and Emmanuel Sanders have been around a long time. I thought we were trying to get younger? Maybe Big Mike has more influence than we thought. The McCoy deal was brilliant though once I saw the numbers.

Young + Good = Expensive

Older + On Downside but Still Good = Reasonable Contract

I think this is where they are headed. They have quite a few young promising players that still need developing. They need vet leaders to play for a year or two while they develop players at key spots who aren’t costing massive contracts. I think they will still draft many of the same positions as the free agents they sign.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Mike McCoy probably admires their talents more than their age but I'd guess they're more to his taste for their talent than their age. Of course, Harris and Sanders would likely have to come reasonably in cost for Stephen to approve of them. That might be a tough bite to chew. ;)

dallas72

Reaction score
I’m fine with it so far. We locked the two guys we desperately needed to lock (Amari and Dak). Never expected to retain Jones. McCoy was a great pickup. Really hoping we can find someone to replace Quinn, though.
Hope Dak goes to camp....he could do a Zeke move..really screw us

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
So so. I wish they would have kept Cobb instead of "showing interest" in 33 year old Emmanuel Sanders. :rolleyes:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think CB and DT. I want McKinney in the draft

I'm hoping he's our pick as well, although, there are some others that would more than likely make my day, as well.

McKinney would answer a need, along with giving us a big talent at safety, so, yeah, I'd be pretty happy about that.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
-Quinn/Cobb were probably the only ones who left that the team wanted to resign. Cobb could be easily replaced via the draft at a much cheaper rate. Unless the team signs a veteran fa DE, you would think a combo of Gregory/Quinn would would handle the spot. Team has shown interest in many pass rushers via the draft. I would like Griffen from Minnesota, not sure he is on their radar.

-McCoy was a very good signing even at his age. Not only is he better than Collins right now, but he is that veteran leader we sorely lack. He should only help the development of T. Hill.

-I believe signing Chris Harris is a pipe dream. With the Eagles lurking for secondary help and the Vikings needing major help, we probably will get priced out. Trufant might be more likely. Who knows maybe they give show me contract to a T. Johnson, a player who with the Rams was a turnover machine.

-With Jeff Heath signing with the Raiders we saw the team resign D. Thompson. That clearly isn't enough at the position. Will we see the team finally sign a legit, starting safety? I have my doubts. D. Randall has MM ties, he would be the guy to keep our eyes on, if they do sign a safety.

-The team is going to sign a true, NT at some point. There is still plenty quality out there at the position. You would think after the 1st wave, they will get their target.

All the people that have this foregone conclusion that Gregory will first be reinstated and then not just make the final roster but be a starter, first need to remember that McCarthy has no history with Gregory so just like every other player will have to prove to him that they belong. Being off for the entire 2019 season and not allowed to even be on Cowboys property or have contact with Cowboys staff means that any and all workouts he's done has been on his own. Nobody at this point knows what kind of shape he's in, certainly not in football shape, and that doesn't bode well for trying to impress a new head coach to keep that kind of player. So everyone needs to tap the brakes a little here on Gregory.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
All the people that have this foregone conclusion that Gregory will first be reinstated and then not just make the final roster but be a starter, first need to remember that McCarthy has no history with Gregory so just like every other player will have to prove to him that they belong. Being off for the entire 2019 season and not allowed to even be on Cowboys property or have contact with Cowboys staff means that any and all workouts he's done has been on his own. Nobody at this point knows what kind of shape he's in, certainly not in football shape, and that doesn't bode well for trying to impress a new head coach to keep that kind of player. So everyone needs to tap the brakes a little here on Gregory.
Going to go out on a limb and guess that RG did not keep himself close to NFL playing shape.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Going to go out on a limb and guess that RG did not keep himself close to NFL playing shape.

Nobody knows at this time because he's not allowed any contact with the Cowboys while on suspension but even at that there is being in shape and NFL shape and without any contact and physical contact work it's doubtful he is in NFL shape.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm thinking you meant to say Bennett and Irving? Not too sure they're in Dallas' plans but it'd surely be pretty interesting, if so. :D
Yep, I plead guilty to the Bennett misquote...and agreed on thought provoking.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We still need

starting 1T DT
Starting SS and possibly FS
Starting TE
1 CB
Starting DE opp DLaw
Slot WR of starting caliber
Real PR/KR

Starting 1-tech is Woods until further notice. I don't think the team believes it is a priority to replace him.

The other Woods is the starting free safety. Jarwin is likely the starting tight end.

Several other spots are more murky. Does Dallas believe Donovan Wilson showed enough to be the starting SS? Is the team counting on Gregory returning to be the starting TE? Do we want a starting corner or are we going to roll with Lewis and look for a third corner?

Slot WR and vet CB are the only spots I see us absolutely addressing in FA. If we address the others, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

visionary

Reaction score
Starting 1-tech is Woods until further notice. I don't think the team believes it is a priority to replace him.

The other Woods is the starting free safety. Jarwin is likely the starting tight end.

Several other spots are more murky. Does Dallas believe Donovan Wilson showed enough to be the starting SS? Is the team counting on Gregory returning to be the starting TE? Do we want a starting corner or are we going to roll with Lewis and look for a third corner?

Slot WR and vet CB are the only spots I see us absolutely addressing in FA. If we address the others, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

i understand what you are talking about from the team point of view

I don’t agree with it at all and hope that these positions are addressed

Oneiros

Reaction score
He needs to make the team first. With Heath injured so much last year, why didn't we see him more? Team needs to find a legit starting safety, not hope that a green, late rounder can make an impact.
Why didn't we see more of him? Umm, let's not forget who coached our secondary last year and him being insistent on playing "his guys".

I can see him getting a fair shot this year with the new staff in place.

With that being said though, we still need to look to upgrade the position.

plasticman

Reaction score
Considering the money being paid out for the "triplets" as well as the offensive line and a few defenders, you can expect the Cowboys to sign a whole lot of rookies.

The plan is no depth and a lot of unprecedented luck.