Thoughts about day 1 in Free Agency

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As free agency grew closer, my expectation was that is franchise will continue how they operate, low cost signings and building through the draft. Jerry's "all in" comments weren't that he was going to spend more money, but rather it now or your gone next season for his HC, his QB and several other key people within the organization.

Something of note, Dak's agent always goes for top dollars and doesn't care where his client gets it. Brian Burns is a true example of this. It has also happened to some other high profile clients under France. Expect Dak to either get paid by someone else or hire a new agent as the Cowboys appears not willing to meet his agents demands.

Team free agent losses were to players that didn't have a future with the team. Clearly, team has to improve their run game and cannot play a rotational DE close to 10 million a season. Tyron Smith remains unsigned, but rumblings not to rule him out just yet.

My free agency expectation is some stop-gap low-cost veterans signed at RB, OL, LB, DT, DE. Let's see how it shakes out, before we make judgement.

As for the rest of the league:

-Giants landed Burns, but gave up a high pick to do so. They also lost two key starters in Barkley and McKinney. Not sure if they improved or not.
-Thought Washington had a nice day, but they had loads of cap space. Still not worried, until they get a legitimate QB.
-Eagles-thought upgrading Swift to Barkley marginally improved the position. Huff is an excellent signing, but losing both Kelce, Cox will kill their locker room.
-49ers had a strange start; released Armstead but signed Floyd. Think that's a downgrade.
-Lions made a good trade to land a quality corner, but lost a key starter on their OL. Player like Goff has to stay clean inside the pocket.
-Crazy how much money Kirk Cousins has made in this league from being so average.
-Looks like the Bills will be starting Conner McGovern at Center.

Aven8

Reaction score
As free agency grew closer, my expectation was that is franchise will continue how they operate, low cost signings and building through the draft. Jerry's "all in" comments weren't that he was going to spend more money, but rather it now or your gone next season for his HC, his QB and several other key people within the organization.

Something of note, Dak's agent always goes for top dollars and doesn't care where his client gets it. Brian Burns is a true example of this. It has also happened to some other high profile clients under France. Expect Dak to either get paid by someone else or hire a new agent as the Cowboys appears not willing to meet his agents demands.

Team free agent losses were to players that didn't have a future with the team. Clearly, team has to improve their run game and cannot play a rotational DE close to 10 million a season. Tyron Smith remains unsigned, but rumblings not to rule him out just yet.

My free agency expectation is some stop-gap low-cost veterans signed at RB, OL, LB, DT, DE. Let's see how it shakes out, before we make judgement.

-Giants landed Burns, but gave up a high pick to do so. They also lost two key starters in Barkley and McKinney. Not sure if they improved or not.
-Thought Washington had a nice day, but they had loads of cap space. Still not worried, until they get a legitimate QB.
-Eagles-thought upgrading Swift to Barkley marginally improved the position. Huff is an excellent signing, but losing both Kelce, Cox will kill their locker room.
-49ers had a strange start; released Armstead but signed Floyd. Think that's a downgrade.
-Lions made a good trade to land a quality corner, but lost a key starter on their OL. Player like Goff has to stay clean inside the pocket.
-Crazy how much money Kirk Cousins has made in this league from being so average.
I think the Barclay get was a huge overpay. He’s just had too many injuries to pay him that much.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Interesting that Smith is still on the market. I figured someone would sign him day 1. Still one of the top LT's in a league starving for them

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your comments here. In regards to the division I think the Giants lost some key starters but also acquired some good players. I feel like they overpaid for Burns but he should be a good player for them. They made some potentially decent moves at OL as well. I don’t think they have really improved overall but they have plugged some gaps before the draft. I like Washington’s moves better overall though I think they overpaid Dorance. Their moves carry less risk than the Burns trade though and they have a lot of cap space. I think the Eagles made some impact moves but also carry some risk and they lost a lot of leadership this offseason. I feel like they are looking at SF and see how much impact CmC has had over there and were willing to spend on Barkley in the hopes he can add similar dynamism to their offense which is full of playmakers. I am generally against paying big money to RB position but then I look at it again and see how incredibly devalued the position has become in terms of dollars and maybe it’s not such a bad idea if your guy is really talented. Might be worth it to pay at the top of the market when the top of the market is only like 12m/year for 2-3 years at such a key position.

As for the Cowboys, it’s no surprise that they made no moves but to me it is disappointing because they have way too many holes to fill this year to only utilize the draft. I think both at the RB position and at LB they could have picked up players on day one at reasonable prices which prevents you from having to reach on those positions in the draft. If they resign Tyron then I would feel a lot better at least eliminating one position of dire need and they could let the draft fall where it does a bit more easily. I don’t expect that however and that basically forces you to spend your 1st rounder on a new LT. That means you are likely starting Hoffman at center next year or are playing absolute scraps at RB/LB as you will not have enough ammo in the draft to cover all three of those spots adequately.

Overall, I think the Cowboys were right to let walk the players that did. I also agree with not dishing out mega-deals to top of the market players most of the time. However there are players that go day one in free agency at good value and this year in my opinion the Cowboys should have been players at RB and LB to alleviate pressure in the draft at those positions which are thin this year anyways.

75boyz

Reaction score
Even by their own standards, this year's non activity is pretty impactful considering the actual and possible number of free agent starter losses.

I can't speak to SF or Detroit's improvement as well as I can to NYG and Washington.
Because I believe both our division rivals ultimate improvement will show itself in a year or 2.
Washington will take a QB at #2 and NYG will do the same at #6 if not sooner by trading up.
IF those 2 QBs pan out then we will have become the bottom of the NFC East.
If not, probably just more sustained mediocrity in some form or fashion.

jmo

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious the front office hands are tied until hey can reach an extension agreement with Dak. There’s no money to really spend until they know what they have to pay Dak

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great takes!

Through all the handwringing yesterday, I still don't see WASH getter better to challenge in the East and PHIL stayed about the same.

Einstein

Reaction score
Who are you kidding... Jerry and Stephen have told me day one starts in a couple weeks, lol...

ShiningStar

Reaction score

Solid post.

Very well done, accurate with your own opinion and gives reasons why.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
They have went from not doing enough to improve during free agency to not even trying to maintain the first round playoff loss level we've all become accustomed to. It's obvious Jerry died midway during the Green Bay game. His hope that is. Although expected, it is simply disgusting how they are treating the fans. We are all stuck in purgatory. Just waiting for the worst case scenario to develop when they extend Dak to a market setting contract in August.

fivetwos

Reaction score

All fair. Here’s the difference…

Every team mentioned has a PLAN and is at least TRYING to get better.

Our plan is to retain 4, 11 and 88 and keep selling jerseys.

Nearly every needle mover is gone, and even with a 2005 or 1975 type draft this team is basically guaranteed to be worse.

If nothing else the gap in the division is closed and I can’t say I’m upset. These two probably need to suffer through several losing seasons before any real change happens….and they are well on their way.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your comments here. In regards to the division I think the Giants lost some key starters but also acquired some good players. I feel like they overpaid for Burns but he should be a good player for them. They made some potentially decent moves at OL as well. I don’t think they have really improved overall but they have plugged some gaps before the draft. I like Washington’s moves better overall though I think they overpaid Dorance. Their moves carry less risk than the Burns trade though and they have a lot of cap space. I think the Eagles made some impact moves but also carry some risk and they lost a lot of leadership this offseason. I feel like they are looking at SF and see how much impact CmC has had over there and were willing to spend on Barkley in the hopes he can add similar dynamism to their offense which is full of playmakers. I am generally against paying big money to RB position but then I look at it again and see how incredibly devalued the position has become in terms of dollars and maybe it’s not such a bad idea if your guy is really talented. Might be worth it to pay at the top of the market when the top of the market is only like 12m/year for 2-3 years at such a key position.

As for the Cowboys, it’s no surprise that they made no moves but to me it is disappointing because they have way too many holes to fill this year to only utilize the draft. I think both at the RB position and at LB they could have picked up players on day one at reasonable prices which prevents you from having to reach on those positions in the draft. If they resign Tyron then I would feel a lot better at least eliminating one position of dire need and they could let the draft fall where it does a bit more easily. I don’t expect that however and that basically forces you to spend your 1st rounder on a new LT. That means you are likely starting Hoffman at center next year or are playing absolute scraps at RB/LB as you will not have enough ammo in the draft to cover all three of those spots adequately.

Overall, I think the Cowboys were right to let walk the players that did. I also agree with not dishing out mega-deals to top of the market players most of the time. However there are players that go day one in free agency at good value and this year in my opinion the Cowboys should have been players at RB and LB to alleviate pressure in the draft at those positions which are thin this year anyways.
The issue with this front office is they are star chasers and bottom feeders. They simply don’t use fa to improve the team, just fill in the gaps

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Even by their own standards, this year's non activity is pretty impactful considering the actual and possible number of free agent starter losses.

I can't speak to SF or Detroit's improvement as well as I can to NYG and Washington.
Because I believe both our division rivals ultimate improvement will show itself in a year or 2.
Washington will take a QB at #2 and NYG will do the same at #6 if not sooner by trading up.
IF those 2 QBs pan out then we will have become the bottom of the NFC East.
If not, probably just more sustained mediocrity in some form or fashion.

jmo
It’s way too early to make judgement, usually we see the Cowboys jump in after the 1st wave of fa

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious the front office hands are tied until hey can reach an extension agreement with Dak. There’s no money to really spend until they know what they have to pay Dak
They have ability to create more space even without touching Dak’s contract