Thoughts about the 2021 Draft Class

Malhavoc

Reaction score
it gets better if you imagine that round 3 just didn't happen.

otherwise...

would you rather have osa odighizuwa -- or any of the DTs taken in the 4th round (jay tufele, bobby brown, tyler shelvin, tommy togiai)?
would you rather have chauncey golston -- or ronnie perkins, whom the patriots drafted 12 spots later?
would you rather have nahshon wright -- or ifeatu melifonwu, whom the lions drafter 2 spots later?
I rather have Osa, but I would have traded the other 2 picks to try and move up for McNeil.

king987

Reaction score
Rushing to slap a grade on it, I'd give the draft a B- for now. I thought it was a really solid start in the first two rounds. I like Parsons & Joseph, and it was a nice move taking a 3rd from the Eagles when they probably didn't have to move up to grab DeVonta Smith.

Osa & Golston are decent enough picks. I know some are saying that it was early for both, I think they're fine enough.

Nahshon Wright is where the problem is, and that's why I'd grade the first three rounds alone as a C, maybe C-. No one, absolutely no one believes this was a good pick. You like Wright because of his potential? An intriguing project? Fine, you have a bunch of picks on Day 3 to take him. Take someone in the 3rd Round who is ready to contribute now, that's what this defense needs. Easily the worst pick of the draft.

Day 3, though, saved this draft big time in my opinion. Jabril Cox was amazing value in 4th round, absolutely loved it. Dane Brugler thinks Josh Ball is a 2nd Round Talent, so hopefully Ball has really made amends for his mistakes and can contribute. Heard nothing but good things about Fehoko. Very happy to see a big boy like Bohanna taken, didn't think Dallas would do that. Farniok has experience all over the O-Line so that's appealing enough in the 7th.

And lastly, Mukuamu was taken exactly where a promising project should be taken, so I can't complain. Although, in my opinion, it makes Wright being taken in the 3rd Round look even worse.

In the end, the draft class is by no means perfect, and it wasn't pretty to watch play out. But do I think the defense should be better in 2021? It should be with this draft class and free agency signings, so here's hoping.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pretty much every player we got was a reach or a character risk. I have a really bad feeling about this draft.

My prediction by player...

Parsons - the line between good player and dominant player is how well he can cover. Even if he can't, he'll still instantly improve a run D that Jaylon and LVE blew way too many gaps in.

Joseph - quits on the team or is cut before the end of his rookie deal.

Odigizuwa - sticks around as a Dorance Armstrong type fringe player.

Golston - cut after 2 years

Wright - cut after 2 years

Cox - going to be money in this system, I see him getting a second contract with the team.

Ball - cut as soon as we find a real swing tackle. The track record of mid round OTs is freaking dismal... I looked it up, and 97% of OTs taken outside of the top 50 from 2015-19 busted. I am not making that number up. It's ridiculous.

Haven't looked into the other day 3 guys yet..

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He is a gamble, but probably the last impact, day 1 starter left at the position. I think that take him over Moehrig if he was still available.
Outside of Horn and Surtain, there are three other corners in this draft that I think can start right away and can be impact starters in the NFL: Farley, Stokes and Joseph. All the others are clearly below those 5 IMO. Dallas probably felt that Campbell was part of that group as well.

I’m convinced that had Moehrig been there at pick 44, Dallas still would have gone with Joseph. They had tried to trade up to the top of the second round for Campbell but were unable to secure a trade before he was drafted. Then, I believe their focus shifted to the last corner that they could count on to start as a rookie... Joseph.

The only people that I heard saying Dallas loved Moehrig were the media and fans. Never did the team say they loved Moehrig. I actually think they liked Holland more than him. Dallas knew they needed an impact corner and they knew they’d have to get him quickly. It was Joseph, the second Campbell was taken IMO. And I understand exactly why they felt that way.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Don't be so sure Milton was the guy they wanted.

1. Nobody Dallas "loved" did they actually draft. Even with guys that they had multiple chances to draft, didn't get drafted.

2. As you mentioned, Milton Williams doesn't have the length that Dallas clearly is looking for. Maybe he was the guy. Maybe not.
I was thinking about that today. I’m not so sure that they did want Williams over Odighizuwa. Everyone they’ve taken has long arms (at least 34”) and we know it is an important trait with McClay.

Odighizuwa’s arms are freakishly long for a guy his height (6’2”) and Williams’ are pretty freakishly short for a guy who is 6’3” tall. Outside of that they’re pretty close to the same guy. Williams is a little more athletic and Odighizuwa is a little stronger.Quinn said they drafted Osi for the 3T spot inside where his added strength will help.

The team never said they loved Williams... the media just assumed they did because they sent a large contingent down to see his pro day and the fans picked up on it. For all we know they measured his arms and lost some interest after that.

I mean, maybe they did like Williams more but we have zero proof of that. It wouldn’t be surprising at all for the team to have Odighizuwa rated higher... particularly when you factor in his length, strength, wrestling background, large school/conference, and his penchant for leverage.

And you’re right... it does seem like Dallas used a little misdirection at times this year.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Outside of Horn and Surtain, there are three other corners in this draft that I think can start right away and can be impact starters in the NFL: Farley, Stokes and Joseph. All the others are clearly below those 5 IMO. Dallas probably felt that Campbell was part of that group as well.

I’m convinced that had Moehrig been there at pick 44, Dallas still would have gone with Joseph. They had tried to trade up to the top of the second round for Campbell but were unable to secure a trade before he was drafted. Then, I believe their focus shifted to the last corner that they could count on to start as a rookie... Joseph.

The only people that I heard saying Dallas loved Moehrig were the media and fans. Never did the team say they loved Moehrig. I actually think they liked Holland more than him. Dallas knew they needed an impact corner and they knew they’d have to get him quickly. It was Joseph, the second Campbell was taken IMO. And I understand exactly why they felt that way.
I agree, Joseph was going to be the pick over Moehrig. Like Joseph way more then Campbell, who is another Awuzie. Has all the elite traits, but just cannot locate the football. Been there done that.

Holland could of very well been there Safety target, but still wasn't going to be the pick at 44, they felt they had to get the corner.

cnuball21

Reaction score
1-Parsons-instantly improves the team's rush defense. Think he starts on the strong-side and plays more of a rushing role then in coverage as a rookie. Still needs some development, we have to be a little patient as he has only been playing this position for 2 years.

2-Joseph-my favorite pick of the class. Been saying since the start of the off-season, we need to pair Diggs with a speed compliment, not another x receiver, big type of corner. Joseph might have a personality to needs to be managed, but his character concerns are more in the locker room then with the law.

3a-Oggy-most had him as an early day 3 prospect. You have to believe the team had their heart set on taking Milton Williams who went two picks before them. Oggy was a backup plan and offers a similar skillet, with far more length. Actually prefer him over the two as he is more of a high floor player. He plays bigger then what his size would indicate. He is a better run defender right now then either Hill or Gallimore and is able to locate the football. Actually like this pick a lot, even though they reached a rd earlier.

3b-Golston-his best fit is as a base defensive end. Power player who has the ability to set the edge. More of a try hard player, who will be an interior pocket pusher against the pass. His game reminds some of Tyrone Crawford. An effective run defender with limited rush abilities, his skillset was needed to shore up this run defense. Team leader coming from a school that produces good, NFL players. Another player I like, but should of been taken a round earlier.

3c-Wright-many saw him as a late pick if not an undrafted fa. This selection has Dan Quinn all over it. Former WR, with great size/length with plus ball skills, sounds like a Richard Sherman prospect. Boom or Bust here, if they were going to take another corner, much rather of taken Adebo who is ready to play now at 75. Total upside pick that I hated.

4a-Cox-wasn't the big fan of Cox prior to the draft, due to him being such a liability against the run. However, with Parsons already drafted and getting Cox in the 4th rd, was an absolute steal. He might be the best coverage linebacker in the entire class, which is a huge weakness for this Cowboy Defense. Think he puts Jaylon on the bench in the nickel and becomes our new will linebacker in 2022. The positional group is now deep and far improved.

4b-Ball-another pick I hated. His character concerns are not like Joseph, but more with the law and domestic violence. He can play right now, but probably needs to add a little strength. Much rather of taken D'Ante Smith who went right after him.

I think our run defense has greatly improved, the linebacker group is drasticially better, we have 2 quality young corners, but my biggest issue with this draft class is another year not drafting a high safety and a 1 Tech Defensive Tackle.

We can no longer blame Marinelli, it's this front office who is stubborn. They easily could of landed one of the top 3 safeties, but were hell bent in addressing corner. As for NT, outside of McNeil, they all were available, yet they waited until late day 3 to address the need. Until this changes, the defense is going to suffer. My Grade C+

Parsons - best defensive player in draft at position of need. Great pick and we added 3rd. If he hits, kind of talent you can build a defense around.

Joseph - 1st round talent, but concerns worry me. I would’ve gone a safer route but hope I’m wrong.

OSA / Gholston - I like both players and the scheme fit, we just took them too early. I also think they both fit the Crawford replacement mold so not sure why we double down. Osa looks good as a nickel 3, but too small to stick there AND we already have a good 3 in Gally.

Wright - dumb pick, reach for need.

Cox - great value pick. Can play nickel LBr day 1 but HAS to get better against run if he wants to be a starter.

Ball - top 100 talent, more character concerns. Hope we did our homework.

Israel - great pick. Thought he had 3rd round talent in zone heavy scheme and is a better player than Wright.

Outside of the 3rd round in good with the draft. Problem is we had 3 picks in the 3rd and could’ve done a much, much better job focusing on talent instead of forcing need / scheme fits.

Croomraider

Reaction score
It's gotta be the tallest draft class in Cowboys history maybe!? :omg:
We got 6'5 corners and 6'8 tackles and 6'4 wideouts.
This clearly had to be the underlying theme.

Txzic

Reaction score
This draft is about switching to a majority 3-4 scheme.
If you look at the F.A. signing, then the draft, it's a whole new look defense.
McClay's picks were about that scheme, not the base 4-3 of recent seasons and why some higher rated prospects weren't chosen.
The preseason is going to be interesting to watch who can take advantage of the change & adapt.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I was thinking about that today. I’m not so sure that they did want Williams over Odighizuwa. Everyone they’ve taken has long arms (at least 34”) and we know it is an important trait with McClay.

Odighizuwa’s arms are freakishly long for a guy his height (6’2”) and Williams’ are pretty freakishly short for a guy who is 6’3” tall. Outside of that they’re pretty close to the same guy. Williams is a little more athletic and Odighizuwa is a little stronger.Quinn said they drafted Osi for the 3T spot inside where his added strength will help.

The team never said they loved Williams... the media just assumed they did because they sent a large contingent down to see his pro day and the fans picked up on it. For all we know they measured his arms and lost some interest after that.

I mean, maybe they did like Williams more but we have zero proof of that. It wouldn’t be surprising at all for the team to have Odighizuwa rated higher... particularly when you factor in his length, strength, wrestling background, large school/conference, and his penchant for leverage.

And you’re right... it does seem like Dallas used a little misdirection at times this year.
Everyone says Odighizuwa is undersized. Bull. I fondly remember a guy named Jay Ratliff. They said the same thing about him as well, and this guy seems to have better physical traits than Jay.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Don't be so sure Milton was the guy they wanted.

1. Nobody Dallas "loved" did they actually draft. Even with guys that they had multiple chances to draft, didn't get drafted.

2. As you mentioned, Milton Williams doesn't have the length that Dallas clearly is looking for. Maybe he was the guy. Maybe not.

Watching their post draft press conference it didn’t seem like they really had to have anyone.

I got vibes like they didn’t think the overall draft class was good and when asked if they think they improved their football this offseason they had a look on their face like not really..

Jerry at one point spoke about how they got 4 of the 6 players they wanted when they were debating at pick 99. Jerry took it as some positive and I looked at it like you guys are reaching for players and drafting against yourselves.

Reactions: JBS

JBS

Reaction score
Watching their post draft press conference it didn’t seem like they really had to have anyone.

I got vibes like they didn’t think the overall draft class was good and when asked if they think they improved their football this offseason they had a look on their face like not really..

Jerry at one point spoke about how they got 4 of the 6 players they wanted when they were debating at pick 99. Jerry took it as some positive and I looked at it like you guys are reaching for players and drafting against yourselves.

This team has zero understanding of how to compile a roster. It's obvious that D. Quinn has a major impact on what they're doing, as do just about all coaches in this organization. Our only hope is that D. Quinn knows what the heck he is doing...that remains to be seen whether he does or does not..who knows how much say he had in Atlanta..

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Man we have lots of people on here that missed their calling as NFL scouts and execs. It’s a shame some of you guys didn’t choose that profession. Imagine how much better the league would be with you! What a damned joke.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Everyone says Odighizuwa is undersized. Bull. I fondly remember a guy named Jay Ratliff. They said the same thing about him as well, and this guy seems to have better physical traits than Jay.

And he was good for a short period of time due to his size...he was also overrated as he didn’t impact the run game nearly as much as a pass rusher.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
And he was good for a short period of time due to his size...he was also overrated as he didn’t impact the run game nearly as much as a pass rusher.

I don’t know what you watched, but Ratliff was good against the run and pass. And that was while playing out of position at NT in a 3-4. This guy won’t be doing that.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don’t know what you watched, but Ratliff was good against the run and pass. And that was while playing out of position at NT in a 3-4. This guy won’t be doing that.

He was good for about 3 years...because he was undersized playing DT. Then they moved on and shipped him off the Bears.

rambo2

Reaction score

Your vibes are way off. Go watch the players on youtube.

rambo2

Reaction score
This team has zero understanding of how to compile a roster. It's obvious that D. Quinn has a major impact on what they're doing, as do just about all coaches in this organization. Our only hope is that D. Quinn knows what the heck he is doing...that remains to be seen whether he does or does not..who knows how much say he had in Atlanta..
Based on the draft and the free agents they have signed, your opinion is way off. They certainly have improved their defense.

JBS

Reaction score
Based on the draft and the free agents they have signed, your opinion is way off. They certainly have improved their defense.

That's cool that you somehow managed to takeaway that I don't think they improved their defense.

Maybe try improving your reading comprehension