CFZ Thoughts about the Texans!

quickccc

Reaction score
This is not the so called "trap game", where I feel next week will be more so. Haven't seen the Texans outside of the Giants/Eagle games. Here is what is what I can gather:

Offense

-Lovie Smith comes from that Rod Marinelli coaching tree. Undersized front, with cover 2 shells to keep everything in front of them to prevent the big passing plays. Dak must remain patient and take what is given underneath. Not the week to force any throws.
-Think the Cowboys can run the football and wear down this front.
-Pitre the rookie from Baylor, is very talented, but struggles tackling in space. Gave up a huge TD to the Giants due to this.
-Their pass rush is led by Jerry Hughes, they should be able to protect

Defense

-Just like last few weeks, stop the run, win the game! Damien Pierce has been the only real offensive weapon for the Texans. Breaks a lot of tackles. Cowboys have another challenge on their hands.
-Their OL is led by Tunsil, but after him they are below average. Couldn't of been more wrong about Kenyon Green, who has really struggled this season, Tyler Smith is night and day better this year.
-Brandon Cooks is the only receiver to worry about and he may not even play, dealing with a nagging calf issue.

Special Teams

-Desmond King can hurt us in the return game, must be careful with him.

As long as Pierce doesn't dominate and the Cowboys don't beat themselves, this game should be over by the 3rd quarter. Just stack up another win and move on the Jacksonville.

Correct me if i'm mistaken:

- Actually Marinelli was DC for Lovie Smith when Lovie was then Bears HC.

- Rod M went from Bears DC to Lions HC ...en route winless 0-16 season.

- Lovie Smith is really from the Tony Dungy tree …
Under Dungy, Monte Kiffin was the DC … Marinelli was the DL coach, while
Lovie was the LB coach.

- Washington HC Ron Rivera is from the Lovie Smith tree as both LB coach
to eventual Bears DC and LB. Marinelli was actually Lovie’s DC

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have an intense dislike for the Texans. Not sure why, I liked the Oilers, rooted for them unless they were playing the Cowboys, but I took an immediate dislike of the Texans and it's still that way. I hope we drive them into the ground. This state ain't big enough for two teams.

I worked with a guy, he was from Oklahoma, had no ties with any NFL team. He first moved to Houston, then came to work in DFW area. Where we worked together.
His wife and son stayed in Houston at the time.

He was getting more into the NFL. As he was more of a college fan. So he decided with all the hype with the Cowboys playing the Texans for the 1st Texans game. He was sick of the Jerry stuff. But he decided what team won the game that who he was going to be a fan of.
Which of course was Houston. But because of this he had a hatred, a nasty hatred for Dallas, more so than any division rival fan.

Of the course of the years, as we also worked together in Jacksonville FL and in Arkansas. (we did contract engineering, so it was not unusual to work the same places at times).
He still had this hate for them. We never got into arguments over it or even discussed it much though.
As well another guy from Houston a big Texans fan as they started. Always hating on the Cowboys. None of us ever argued, just some friendly banter, they were good guys. We worked well together, got along, had beers together.

So I got to where I hated the Texans as well from their hate. But we all kept it in check.
However, I worked in Houston for 6 months or so on a contract. The area I stayed it was pretty cool, many nice fans there. I even sold the Houston Dallas game (2014 game when Romo punked JJ and threw a TD pass) when I had season tickets to the bartender at a place I went to by the hotel. I probably could have doubled my price but sold them to him for face value. He was one of the better fans I met. He wanted to see the stadium and take his girlfriend.

So now the Texans don't bother me as much over the past few years, but still can't always root for them.
Same for the Dolphins as when I lived in South Florida, could not stand the many fair weather fans. But now over 20 years later I like seeing them do well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is not the so called "trap game", where I feel next week will be more so. Haven't seen the Texans outside of the Giants/Eagle games. Here is what is what I can gather:

Offense

-Lovie Smith comes from that Rod Marinelli coaching tree. Undersized front, with cover 2 shells to keep everything in front of them to prevent the big passing plays. Dak must remain patient and take what is given underneath. Not the week to force any throws.
-Pitre the rookie from Baylor, is very talented, but struggles tackling in space. Gave up a huge TD to the Giants due to this.

Defense

-Just like last few weeks, stop the run, win the game! Damien Pierce has been the only real offensive weapon for the Texans. Breaks a lot of tackles. Cowboys have another challenge on their hands.
-Their OL is led by Tunsil, but after him they are below average. Couldn't of been more wrong about Kenyon Green, who has really struggled this season, Tyler Smith is night and day better this year.
-Brandon Cooks is the only receiver to worry about and he may not even play, dealing with a nagging calf issue.

Special Teams

As long as Pierce doesn't dominate and the Cowboys don't beat themselves, this game should be over by the 3rd quarter. Just stack up another win and move on the Jacksonville.
I can’t stand the idea of ever overlooking a game, but man if there was one time this could be it.

I don’t think Mike is going to let the team veer off course though, and it’s nice to say that about leadership in Dallas. Right now it’s as good as it’s been since our last real coach (Parcells).

Let’s get through it healthy and move on.

Agree that next week is a problem. That team is getting their act together. Philly on Xmas eve loooming? Very easy to not take a trip to Jacksonville seriously…..but, as I said above, I think Mike may actually have the teams ear over Jerry. I think he has them focused. It seems different from the Garrett years based on what we hear from the players.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I've watched a couple of Texan games, the defense is poor and outside of their running back, they are a bad team.

I've watched them play over their heads for 2 or 3 quarters. Lovie has them play hard despite their extreme lack of talent.

Mills might turn out to be a good QB. Most folks don't realize he only started something like 6 games in college and maybe 20 in the NFL. There are games he plays well, but more often like a guy who should still be in college.

All said, I expect us to start slow and then put a whuppin on them. Mills will throw a few picks. Zeke and Pollard should have good games and our passing game should be clicking.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm mistaken:

- Actually Marinelli was DC for Lovie Smith when Lovie was then Bears HC.

- Rod M went from Bears DC to Lions HC ...en route winless 0-16 season.

- Lovie Smith is really from the Tony Dungy tree …
Under Dungy, Monte Kiffin was the DC … Marinelli was the DL coach, while
Lovie was the LB coach.

- Washington HC Ron Rivera is from the Lovie Smith tree as both LB coach
to eventual Bears DC and LB. Marinelli was actually Lovie’s DC
Yes, they are all under the Dungy Cover 2, coaching tree. Of coarse each has their own twist on the scheme, but like to play 2 deep safeties and rarely blitz. The scheme is all about preventing the big passes plays and tighten up in the redzone.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, they are all under the Dungy Cover 2, coaching tree. Of coarse each has their own twist on the scheme, but like to play 2 deep safeties and rarely blitz. The scheme is all about preventing the big passes plays and tighten up in the redzone.

- i dunno how many NFL teams still use the " Tampa Cover 2 ".

- But i do know players here at the time, at one point on Marinelli's unit at one time were complaining that is so simple and predictable, that opposing offenses could
too easily counter scheme against it. Making the defense that much more vulnerable.

- There are several issues i had with Marinelli period, to which i'm so glad we moved on.
but as far as the Tampa Cover 2, i don't like that it does not emphasize blitzing and pressing the issue, it depends solely on rushing up front with LBs more so in coverage.
It's the epitome of " Bend but Do Not Break ",..giving up the underneath and soft coverage, while focusing on turnovers and 3rd down stops in between the 20 hashmarks.

- Nowadays, with today's trend, teams seem to be gearing towards more "Hybrids," .. mixture of 4 to 3 man DL fronts.. with more Nickel based schemes, even 3 safeties,..
Adapt or Die.... .

- Every notable player seems to want to escape the Texans - Very dysfunctional atmosphere starting at the very top.
If they do draft a heralded player - they eventually depart in some manner or another. .. Watson, Watt, Hopkins, etc. etc.
And even speedy Cooks tried to spring out per Cowboys trade interest,..

- Lovie really has very little to work with , and he will very likely end up yet another scapegoat for a HC change.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I watched first half of Philly/Hou game. Hou was not playing like 1-7 team. They hung around till 3rd qtr.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

I reviewed their last game.

About even mix of 2-deep and single-high. They definitely go to 2-deep in obvious passing situations.

JayFord

Reaction score
You stop Pierce you can actually shut them out

but thats easier said than done.....

this game probably ends up 24-6

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They suck....end of story.

Really they have a good running back who must be contained but i swear if they allow some big passes to be completed it's going to be another nail biter.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
So now the Texans don't bother me as much

Well, they don't bother me. It's not like I go around hating them, I just never developed an affinity for them the way I did the Oilers. I'm a Texas homer and generally always back any Texas team. I do not care one wit for the Texans. They might as well be Chicago or LA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I reviewed their last game.

About even mix of 2-deep and single-high. They definitely go to 2-deep in obvious passing situations.
Sounds about right. Dak is going to need to stay patient and take the underneath throws. What is important against this type of defense is to score TD's in the red zone.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- i dunno how many NFL teams still use the " Tampa Cover 2 ".

- But i do know players here at the time, at one point on Marinelli's unit at one time were complaining that is so simple and predictable, that opposing offenses could
too easily counter scheme against it. Making the defense that much more vulnerable.

- There are several issues i had with Marinelli period, to which i'm so glad we moved on.
but as far as the Tampa Cover 2, i don't like that it does not emphasize blitzing and pressing the issue, it depends solely on rushing up front with LBs more so in coverage.
It's the epitome of " Bend but Do Not Break ",..giving up the underneath and soft coverage, while focusing on turnovers and 3rd down stops in between the 20 hashmarks.

- Nowadays, with today's trend, teams seem to be gearing towards more "Hybrids," .. mixture of 4 to 3 man DL fronts.. with more Nickel based schemes, even 3 safeties,..
Adapt or Die.... .

- Every notable player seems to want to escape the Texans - Very dysfunctional atmosphere starting at the very top.
If they do draft a heralded player - they eventually depart in some manner or another. .. Watson, Watt, Hopkins, etc. etc.
And even speedy Cooks tried to spring out per Cowboys trade interest,..

- Lovie really has very little to work with , and he will very likely end up yet another scapegoat for a HC change.
The whole mantra was, we don't care about the yards surrendered, rather tighten up in the red zone. Expect to see a lot of underneath throws.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I can’t stand the idea of ever overlooking a game, but man if there was one time this could be it.

I don’t think Mike is going to let the team veer off course though, and it’s nice to say that about leadership in Dallas. Right now it’s as good as it’s been since our last real coach (Parcells).

Let’s get through it healthy and move on.

Agree that next week is a problem. That team is getting their act together. Philly on Xmas eve loooming? Very easy to not take a trip to Jacksonville seriously…..but, as I said above, I think Mike may actually have the teams ear over Jerry. I think he has them focused. It seems different from the Garrett years based on what we hear from the players.
Cannot not afford to slip up the next 2 weeks, before that tough final 3 game stretch.

Surfguy

Reaction score
yet we get flack against the colts for not blowing them out later and it was close UMM the eagles only won 17-16 with 2 late scores, they were DOWN nearly all game

Texans -Eagles- wasn't it a tie at the half?

Jags- eagles 4 gifts and still dogfight until the end.

why is it our fans expect us to just go out and have 20 point lead on these allegedly bad teams when the mighty eagles didnt do it??

our fanbase is ridiculous is why, the expectations going into games and saying ,yup should be up by 20 at the half..thats ridiculous,

this is the nfl and teams have players on the other side and plan at least to start the games to compete. yes the better teams typically win but doesn't mean they won't make it a game for a while.

goalposts constantly move, expectations so out of sync with reality

its get old, the criticisms after big wins, the breakdowns of each throw or each mistake is ridiculous.. we are a 4rth qtr defensive collapse loss in OT from being 6-0 since Daks been back but somehow the feel around here is like we went 3-3..ugh,

giphy.gif

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I have an intense dislike for the Texans. Not sure why, I liked the Oilers, rooted for them unless they were playing the Cowboys, but I took an immediate dislike of the Texans and it's still that way. I hope we drive them into the ground. This state ain't big enough for two teams.
ugly uniforms, colors, helmet logo. Oilers looked way better.
the way uniforms are changing they will all be ugly someday.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
They'll run it 42 times to keep the score low. We'll run it 34 times establishing our identity. The game will be over in two hours.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Nice post, but I don't like this game for a reason.

That reason is Coach MM. He made Daks BFF, Zeke not start a game because he was shiny. So since I'm not running this team...just for shots and giggles...sit you azz down for a sec Dak.

I would just pluck with Texans and trot out Cooper Rush and his practice squad players for the first series. Give them a loving start too. (while dak and zeke kiss).

Cowboys on three...1...2...3...
COWBOYS