CFZ Thoughts for the beginning of the regular season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After a long winter, spring and summer; after free agency, the draft, mini-camps, training camp and preseason games…FINALLY the regular season is nearly here. The real football games that matter are upon us. And I have big hopes for this year’s team.

Here’s some things I try to remind myself at the beginning of each regular season:
  • It usually takes at least 4 games to get a good read on any team. Don’t judge an entire season on game one. Win or lose.
  • Champions are not crowned in September. So if we have a really hot start or a bad one, keep that in mind.
  • Style points” and margins of victory don’t matter in the NFL. It’s always only about wins and losses.
  • It takes an entire TEAM to win a championship.
  • Talent alone is never enough to win a championship. It takes talent of course, along with good coaching, player development, mixed with mental and physical toughness to be a championship caliber team.
  • ALL great teams must overcome some kind of adversity. Adversity happens every year. It could be an injury, a bad call, bad luck, a rough stretch in the schedule. Whatever. The best teams are mentally tough enough to handle rough seas because they will come.
  • Don’t look at the schedule and pick wins and losses. Every NFL team can beat you. And we can likewise beat any team on our schedule.
  • There are surprise teams every year. A team we thought was good won’t be. And another we thought was easy will be tough. That’s the NFL!
I‘m excited to see another season of Cowboys football. Any other reminders you have?
Here’s hoping Lombardi #6 will be raised!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ready for showtime....i am taking this season game by game....first up, NYG... in the immortal words of Al Davis..."JUST WIN BABY"...... :flagwave:
Gonna be a 17 game ride full of twists and unexpected turns, big highs, hopefully only a few lows, and a #1 seed going into the NFC playoffs. Can’t wait.

CWR

Reaction score
After a long winter, spring and summer; after free agency, the draft, mini-camps, training camp and preseason games…FINALLY the regular season is nearly here. The real football games that matter are upon us. And I have big hopes for this year’s team.

Here’s some things I try to remind myself at the beginning of each regular season:
  • It usually takes at least 4 games to get a good read on any team. Don’t judge an entire season on game one. Win or lose.
  • Champions are not crowned in September. So if we have a really hot start or a bad one, keep that in mind.
  • Style points” and margins of victory don’t matter in the NFL. It’s always only about wins and losses.
  • Talent alone is never enough to win a championship. It takes talent of course, along with good coaching, player development, mixed with mental and physical toughness to be a championship caliber team.
  • ALL great teams must overcome some kind of adversity. Adversity happens every year. It could be an injury, a bad call, bad luck, a rough stretch in the schedule. Whatever. The best teams are mentally tough enough to handle rough seas because they will come.
  • Don’t look at the schedule and pick wins and losses. Every NFL team can beat you. And we can likewise beat any team on our schedule.
  • There are surprise teams every year. A team we thought was good won’t be. And another we thought was easy will be tough. That’s the NFL!
I‘m excited to see another season of Cowboys football. Any other reminders you have?

You will lose half the board on the first bullet point. Lol

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

One more reminder: if a game happens to end in a tie let's not lose our minds. Soccer leagues have draws all the time. Nobody dies.

Good luck on point number one, though, @Bobhaze. We both know what will happen here if the Cowboys start 0-1. :muttley:

giphy.gif

TWOK11

Reaction score
People say this all the time, and it just isn’t true. Point differential in the regular season is the single strongest predictor of postseason success there is, even more so than regular season wins or what seed you are in your conference.

For perspective, the team with the #1 or #2 best point differential has participated in 49 of 57 Super Bowls and won 32 of them. No team with the #1 point differential has ever been eliminated prior to the divisional round of the playoffs, and only two teams with a top-3 point differential have ever missed the playoffs.

Style points ABSOLUTELY matter because they are the strongest indicator of overall team quality.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Also, while it’s true titles aren’t won in September, the team with the highest point differential in September has at least made it to the Super Bowl in 21 of the last 29 seasons. So it’s not irrelevant from a prognostic standpoint at all.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Here’s a reminder, stay away from the game day threads.

rambo2

Reaction score

Landry #6.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People say this all the time, and it just isn’t true. Point differential in the regular season is the single strongest predictor of postseason success there is, even more so than regular season wins or what seed you are in your conference.

For perspective, the team with the #1 or #2 best point differential has participated in 49 of 57 Super Bowls and won 32 of them. No team with the #1 point differential has ever been eliminated prior to the divisional round of the playoffs, and only two teams with a top-3 point differential have ever missed the playoffs.

Style points ABSOLUTELY matter because they are the strongest indicator of overall team quality.
Two, I’m also a big believer in point differential as a predictor playoff success. I’ve made this argument myself many times too on this forum. But you’re forgetting a couple things:
  • I see “style points” as destroying the opponents you are expected to destroy. In the NFL any team can beat you on any given day.
  • Last year the Cowboys finished 5th in the NFL in PD. But if you look at some of their games against opponents they were “supposed” to beat by big numbers, it didn’t always happen.
    • Example1: We beat a really bad Houston Texan team late in the season 27-23, a game we played so bad we probably should have lost. Many Cowboys fans were upset we didn’t win by 30. But we still got the same W as if we did win by 30.
    • Example 2: We slaughtered a pretty good Vikings team on the road last year 40-3, which gave a +37 PD for that game. Were we really that much better than the Vikes? Maybe but not 37 points.
  • The main point I’m making is that while PD is very important, too many fans freak out over the games like the Texans game last year. You aren’t going to look great every week in a 17 game season.
  • Final point- consistency is the mark of a great team. If you win 13 games by an average of 10 points, you aren’t blowing people out that often but you are consistent. And would have a salty +130 PD.
Again, I agree PD is important but there also has to be some realistic context too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Biggest concern is a slow start. Watching the NY preseason game Saturday they got first teams some action .

Coming out of the gates in September with a couple losses could be tough to overcome early.

Hoping we are at least 3-3 at the Bye. Pretty tough opening stretch. 4-2 looks optimistic.

stuckindc

Reaction score
I’m happy the season is upon us. It’s my favorite time of the year. NFL, College Football, Baseball playoffs!!! The weather is perfect. Got to remember to enjoy as it goes by fast!!! Let’s get 6!!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

All very good points ............. especially It usually takes at least 4 games to get a good read on any team. Read/seen this from many coaches, even about their own team.

BTW..... I would one more, every team's goal to start the season is not winning the Super Bowl but their division and letting the post season pieces fall in place.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Well this post will definitely keep people from getting ahead of themselves and jumping to conclusions!
:thumbup: :muttley:

shabazz

Reaction score
You will lose half the board on the first bullet point. Lol
The same people that preach “ takes 4 games to get a read on our team” will be exactly the same ones beating their chests if our offense demolishes the Jets defense in game #2

and I wouldn’t blame them……it’s only natural

Hardline

Reaction score

You should be writing professionally for a media outlet getting paid.Your post are just as good or better than most sports reporters.