Thoughts on $$ and Character

SouthernStar

Reaction score
**The cap WAS going to be $94.5 million.
NOW, it's $102 million. An increase of $7.5 million.

BUT.......the minimum salary increased $40,000 per player across the board. That eats up $2 million of that increase.

That leaves us with a $5.5 million increase in "spendable" money.

Now that fewer players are being released, and the prices for them went WAY UP, how far do you think that measley $5.5 million is gonna go?

We're lucky if we broke even.

** The new CBA extension had some "hidden" new rules in it.

* A new "Ricky Williams Rule" states that, once a player signs and collects his signing bonus, he can be suspended by (or banned from) the league for drugs, and he gets to KEEP the bonus.

What is to stop an aging veteran from signing, doing drugs, getting banned, and basically taking an "early retirement" with the millions in bonus money?

* A new "Terrell Owens Rule" states that, once a player signs and collects his signing bonus, he cannot be suspended by his team for bad behavior, and he gets to keep the bonus.

How long will it be before we see another T.O.?

* A new "Evel Knievel" Rule states that, once a player signs and collect his signing bonus, and if he gets injured or maimed while engaging in ANY off-field activity (no matter how dangerous), he gets to keep the bonus.

A player could lose both of his legs through his own negligence, and as long as he "offers to play" he gets to keep his bonus.

*Furthermore, new NFL contracts may NOT contain language that seeks to recover signing bonuses for any reason, unless the player "holds out or refuses to play".

This opens up a can of worms.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Find it hard to believe the owners would swallow this after Winslow and Williams and Owens. I would imagine that instead it goes to binding arbitration or something of that sort.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
* A new "Evel Knievel" Rule states that, once a player signs and collect his signing bonus, and if he gets injured or maimed while engaging in ANY off-field activity (no matter how dangerous), he gets to keep the bonus.

This is more the Kellen Winslow Jr rule....

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I believe its intent was to close a few
That would be determined by whichever side of the fence you're on, wouldn't it? The PLAYERS sure closed a can of worms for themselves. I tend to take the management's point of view.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
This is more the Kellen Winslow Jr rule....
Yes, I know. I just said Evel Knievel because I figured everyone knew who I was talking about.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Find it hard to believe the owners would swallow this after Winslow and Williams and Owens. I would imagine that instead it goes to binding arbitration or something of that sort.
Nope. Read up on it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well I guess if that is the case then the players won't care how stupid this makes them look. If we get some more winslow/williams idiocies then maybe the owners will have the clout to change that at the next CBA negotiations.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Or maybe they have to have specific things written into that particular players contract?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Or maybe they have to have specific things written into that particular players contract?
But then you have this rule:

*Furthermore, new NFL contracts may NOT contain language that seeks to recover signing bonuses for any reason, unless the player "holds out or refuses to play".

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Hypothetical situation:

A great receiver signs a muti-million dollar contract with us. He then gets into an argument with the head coach. Any kind of argument about anything. Maybe he throws a jersey in the coach's face.

The receiver decides that he will never catch a pass for his team again. He drops every one thrown his way. Pretty soon, it becomes "obvious" what he is doing.....and we bench him.

We could deactivate him (week-to-week only), but he keeps his big money.

Or a linebacker decides he will never make another tackle for his team.

Or a CB decides he will never defend another pass. (he'll be close, but not quite there...)

And so forth, and so forth.

Eventually, this is going to happen. Hide and watch.

sago1

Reaction score
Understand the new minimum pay goes up $40,000, but where did you get the info it would cost us $2M out of the additional $7M cap provided. Seems to me this only affects those players getting the minimum either as first year, or second etc. up to including vet minimums. Admittedly I'm not great mathetician but if 20 of our players getting the minimum no matter for what reason, it will cost us $800,000 more a year. Hard to believe more then 20 are minimum paying jobs.

burmafrd

Reaction score
So I guess that any player that signs, gets his bonus, then goes out and say murders 4-5 people and ends up going to prison for life- they cannot recover that bonus either? Or a player that goes out on a bender and smashes his car and loses a leg- no bonus recovery either? Or in other words no matter how stupid a player is, nothing he can do can cause his bonus to be taken back?
This goes beyond dumb- and I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing something like I described?

SouthernStar

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Understand the new minimum pay goes up $40,000, but where did you get the info it would cost us $2M out of the additional $7M cap provided. Seems to me this only affects those players getting the minimum either as first year, or second etc. up to including vet minimums. Admittedly I'm not great mathetician but if 20 of our players getting the minimum no matter for what reason, it will cost us $800,000 more a year. Hard to believe more then 20 are minimum paying jobs.
Technically, you're right. But, if the "minumum" goes up, then the other players will be asking for more as well. It would be a "new state of mind".
I'll accept your figure of $800,000.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Also, did you know that:

The maximum length of a contract for a rookie drafted in the first 16 selections in the first round is six years.

The maximum contract for a rookie selected in picks 17 to 32 is five years.

Players taken in rounds two through seven can't be given a contract longer than four years.

This will affect salary caps (somewhat).