Thoughts on Calijah Kancey

Creeper

Reaction score
I am in the process of studying the DTs in this draft class and I am watching some highlights of Kancey. He plays for Pittsburgh, the same school as Aaron Donald. He is 6'0", 275 lbs. just slightly smaller than Donald. He is quick (4.69 40), has a high motor, and he is strong for his size (425 lb bench), like Aaron Donald. He gets lots of comparisons to Donald too.

However, he is small. He did not play against many good teams this year. Pittsburgh payed West Virginia, Tennessee, Miami, Syracuse, Virginia, and teams like that. I would like to see him play against teams like Alabama, Georgia, and some of the top programs.

My questions are, what is he do you think? Is he the second coming of Aaron Donald (rarely happens)? Does anyone take a chance on him? I wonder if in the NFL he moves outside to DE in some kind of 3-4 alignment. If he is still there in the 3rd round do you take him? I know he is projected by some to go higher but I just wonder if his size is going to scare a lot of team off in the first two rounds.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Definitely not another Aaron Donald. I wouldn’t spend an early pick on him.

If he falls enough in the draft, I might would take a look at him as a rotational inside pass rush piece… he’ll probably get taken before I would use a pick on him though.

RS12

Reaction score
Kiper has him at 15 overall. We have seen undersized linemen have great careers. That size would give me pause though.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Kancey would fit on how the Cowboys like to use their linemen on stunts and playing in the gaps. Kancey has extremely quick feet and has the ability to go from one gap to the other. Plus, he's has a pretty powerful lower base and naturally plays with low pads, thus making him difficult for O-linemen to engage and move.
He would be an upgrade over Gallimore...he reminds more of a La'roi Glover than Aaron Donald.

RS12

Reaction score
  • Kancey is strong enough in the lower body to hold up at the point of attack, and Kancey displays a good feel as a grappler in the phone booth, consistently getting blockers off-balance before sending them to the ground.
  • Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 7 . He wrote: "This was a great find by Panthers defensive line coach Charlie Partridge, who has deep ties around South Florida. In 2021, Kancey earned first-team All-ACC honors after producing 13 TFLs and seven sacks. Pat Narduzzi says Kancey reminds him of Panthers legend Aaron Donald, and while that is pretty hefty talk, no doubt this guy is special too. Narduzzi told The Athletic this month that Kancey has been clocked running a 4.69 40. Kancey also has vertical-jumped 31 1/2 inches and bench pressed 425."
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Calijah-Kancey-DL-Pittsburgh