Thoughts on driverless cars

GMO415

Reaction score
This may hurt sales if it couldn't even make it out of the lot.....
Tesla-Crash-1024x768.jpg

waldoputty

Reaction score
I don't get driverless cars, if you don't want to drive take a taxi or call Uber.

if they do it right, it could make the roads a lot safer.
drunk drivers dont need to drive
disabled and those who are too elderly would have more access to transportation without paying for uber and taxi on a daily basis.
especially true for aging population...
commuters can relax
farms have labor shortage

the market fundamentals are good.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
It’s fascinating tech,and as much as people hate it (without any real experience with it) ...it’s already been here. Guess who’s been flying your planes? The pilots? No...once you’re in the air,the planes software takes over,and they’re just basically monitoring the system and drinking coffee. I see a ton of benefits from this technology,more so than any negatives I might have had otherwise. Handicap,and elderly especially will benefit from it,giving them their freedom. I watch every week,as a little iglo cooler looking thing on wheels travels the sidewalks delivering food to people. Stoppped and asked the scientists behind it punching in data numbers for testing,and was highly impressed with where they’re headed in advancements.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It’s fascinating tech,and as much as people hate it (without any real experience with it) ...it’s already been here. Guess who’s been flying your planes? The pilots? No...once you’re in the air,the planes software takes over,and they’re just basically monitoring the system and drinking coffee. I see a ton of benefits from this technology,more so than any negatives I might have had otherwise. Handicap,and elderly especially will benefit from it,giving them their freedom. I watch every week,as a little iglo cooler looking thing on wheels travels the sidewalks delivering food to people. Stoppped and asked the scientists behind it punching in data numbers for testing,and was highly impressed with where they’re headed in advancements.

i can see the worry as some of the tech is just not ready.
though if ready, it could be very very safe.
iglo cooler thing - where is this?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I don't get driverless cars, if you don't want to drive take a taxi or call Uber.

They are the future and the end to ***hole drivers cut people off, who don't get in line and then cut in front of everyone else, who run red lines endangering everyone. You know those who should be ruthlessly murdered in public and cheered be everyone else for killing them.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
i can see the worry as some of the tech is just not ready.
though if ready, it could be very very safe.
iglo cooler thing - where is this?
It’s in Redwood City CA. That’s where Google is. They moved Silicon Valley up the Penisula. Biggest city rebuild in the state right now. Leveling the whole darn city and building a new one. It’s been a real treat to personally see the development of it all. But no,it’s not what people think. My particular car has self driving applications for this years model,meaning you no longer have to deal with the frustration of commutes. You simply put on cruise control,and it drives for you. You still are behind the wheel and can at anytime take over by simply pressing the brakes,or pressing off cruise control. That’s really how people need to view it...like driving with your cruise control. That’s where the tech is at in terms of daily public use. It’s like any tech...you go through testing stages,and it’s not fully developed yet.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
wow, all negative impressions!
dex, may be you could be our test pilot required to sit behind the wheel while the car does its thing...

It won't work mixed with regular drivers, especially the idiot ones. Now, if every single car were auto-pilot and no one were allowed to drive themselves....I would not be so pessimistic. Of course, pedestrians would have to follow the rules as well. The tech needs to get better to adjust to road conditions(weather, potholes, etc) as well.

To add: you can't compare planes to automobiles, totally different playing field.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It’s in Redwood City CA. That’s where Google is. They moved Silicon Valley up the Penisula. Biggest city rebuild in the state right now. Leveling the whole darn city and building a new one. It’s been a real treat to personally see the development of it all. But no,it’s not what people think. My particular car has self driving applications for this years model,meaning you no longer have to deal with the frustration of commutes. You simply put on cruise control,and it drives for you. You still are behind the wheel and can at anytime take over by simply pressing the brakes,or pressing off cruise control. That’s really how people need to view it...like driving with your cruise control. That’s where the tech is at in terms of daily public use. It’s like any tech...you go through testing stages,and it’s not fully developed yet.

sounds like a tesla.
dont become complacent with it.
it works well 99.9% of the time...

i work in the field and the ability to detect stationary objects is not good.
most systems filter out stationary objects because there are too many false positives.
there are issues with differentiating between an overpass and a truck on the side.
the tech will get better and eventually be safer than human driving.
but the sensors have a ways to go...

Chrispierce

Reaction score
It won't work mixed with regular drivers, especially the idiot ones. Now, if every single car were auto-pilot and no one were allowed to drive themselves....I would not be so pessimistic. Of course, pedestrians would have to follow the rules as well. The tech needs to get better to adjust to road conditions(weather, potholes, etc) as well.

To add: you can't compare planes to automobiles, totally different playing field.
No you can compare the two...because it’s the same technology. That’s what this is,software applications. It’s just trickled down tech from what the military wanted developed for a very long time.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
sounds like a tesla.
dont become complacent with it.
it works well 99.9% of the time...

i work in the field and the ability to detect stationary objects is not good.
most systems filter out stationary objects because there are too many false positives.
there are issues with differentiating between an overpass and a truck on the side.
the tech will get better and eventually be safer than human driving.
but the sensors have a ways to go...
I just realized...you guys aren’t driving brand new cars are you? This isn’t a “Tesla” thing....it’s a car industry thing. I don’t have a Tesla...I’m in a Mazda,and it’s already saved me 3 fender benders because I wasn’t paying attention.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Need to work out the kinks. As really would love to get one. As for someone who does not like to drive like yours truly. As would be great on the freeway.
Oh sure,we’re a ways away from Johnny Cab,but your freeway car application is in the new Mazda’s for ‘19. That really got my interest going. I don’t need a self driving car,but one that works with me to ease the fatigue of driving in traffic so much. They got it right.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No thanks, rather trust my life to human error than a programming bug or GPS, sensor malfunction etc...

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No you can compare the two...because it’s the same technology. That’s what this is,software applications. It’s just trickled down tech from what the military wanted developed for a very long time.

I didn't mean technology wise, I know they are similar. My gripe comes from the operating end with too many scenarios in play.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Except...it has been working mixed with regular drivers. They are safer than human drivers today.