Thoughts on Kevin Burnett?

hendog

Reaction score
I for one would like to see KBurnette come in and really embrace this offseason and get bigger and stronger as a result. I was all for picking him in the draft but for some reason I just think he's not going to work out for us. Maybe it's his predraft comments that said he didn't want to be a Boy, maybe I'm just reading to much into it? I don't know. With him having minor surgery and not even telling the cowboys before hand I just get the feeling that he really doesn't want to be here.

Any thoughts?

How 'bout you Hos? I know you liked him in the draft as well.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
He's cocky and in the doghouse for it.
I don't see much coming from him but I could (hope to) be wrong.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
He will get PT this year most likely starting, last year we basically had all rookies at LB in Ware, James( not a rookie) but hasn't really played alot b4 this season, Shanle, plus he was hurt, KB will be a big force in the NFL like he was at Tenn, he is a sure tackler and just his luck he got hurt

50cent

Reaction score
My predictions:
Burnett gets moved to MLB.
He spells James and Ayodele in situational packages.
JAmes has another stellar year with 100 plus tackles.
James demands money in a Witten, James, and Roy contract year.
Cowboys can't meet JAmes demands while re-signing Witten and Roy. With Tnew re-signing in mind for next year.
Burnett takes over at MLB for James in 2007.

silver

Reaction score
He's coming off a torn ACL. He won't be ready at the start of TC. Backup material.

Pooz

Reaction score
If he could stay healthy, I think he could become great.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Knee rehab is done a lot quicker than it use to be. He'll probably be brought in slow early in camp. One practice a day at first to make sure there isn't any swelling.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
The guy was a player at Tenn, and he was the team's captain. He's a ball player, and BP wasn't expecting a lot out of him last year. I expect him to come back this year, and be a solid special teamer. Then maybe a starting role in his 3rd season. But ya never know... We may have another potential Dat on our hands with him. I'm really curious to see him and Beriault perform, because if either of those two can become starters our 2004 draft coulud be one for the record books considering Ware, Spears, Canty, Barber, and Pettit have already been major contributers last year. .

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
We need to be patient with Burnett...coming off injury etc.. (i.e. Bradie James...taking 2 full years to develop before breaking out)

He has big upside talent and in the end will work out. I think with the signing of Akin he will stay out side and be in the rotation as OLB on both sides of the ball. He may not be as big as we want to to teatring his ACL, therefore I see his big year in 2007, however he is fast and has playmaking type of abilities...so he will get on the field.

We need to give him time....

CooterBrown

Reaction score
JJ and Parcells already know what they think of Burnett and whether he is in their plans. With the AA addition at LB, what they do with the first draft pick will be a statement on Burnett. If they draft LB in the first round, they aren't holding out much hope on him becoming a starter. If they draft for another postion, it indicates that they feel like the LB corps is good enough.

Native Born Fan

Reaction score
He has now torn ACLs in both knees. One the one hand he has rehabbed one before, so he knows what to expect, and on the other...he's torn both ACLs. I know some people seem to think this has become an easy surgery but i have a hard time fully buying into that. I hope he can come back and produce in the rotation.

NorTex

Reaction score
silver said:
He's coming off a torn ACL. He won't be ready at the start of TC. Backup material.

Yep, I could see him being put on PUP.

conner01

Reaction score
i think cooter has it. we will know what bill and co. think of him with our first rnd pick. if it's an olb then it would appear they are'nt depending on him atleast this year

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I thought he had some really nice athleticism, but often looked lost last season.

I think he was always tabbed to be an ILB guy. With Ayodele probably being the opposite ILB starter to Bradie, my guess is that there was something they didn't like about Burnett.....being it his play, attitude or coming off an injury. He will most likely be coming off bench. I could see him being used in nickel situations the way Shanle was last year.

Rich.........

Eskimo

Reaction score
Burnett's injury occurred in late December so he should have really already begun his rehab process.

In terms of timing to come back to the team this is a tricky issue. The main difficulty is that his strength and rehab should be going pretty good by the summer but the issue with return to play has to do with graft strength.

One of the things that people don't understand well about these repairs is that the graft is actually quite strong when it goes in - it is the attachments to bone that you have to be careful about. Over time, the bone remodels but then the issue becomes the graft reaches its peak weakness at about 6 months due to a form of revascularization. This is a tricky time because the player's range of motion is good, swelling is down and muscle strength is good - this is a frequent time when athletes like to push the envelope because they are feeling very good and end up rupturing the graft during a cut.

I think the best course of action is probably to put him on the PUP and see if he is ready 6 weeks into the season but I tend to be conservative by nature.