Thoughts on Kevin Burnett?

ravidubey

Reaction score
Sorry to say, 85% chance he's a bust, IMO.

1) Late season 2005 ACL tear puts 2006 TC at risk-- TC at risk sets development back one year. Remember Bradie James took three full years to become a player; will Burnett take four? Burnett was a 2nd rounder, so maybe he has more upside than James.

2) Injury-prone even before his season-ending injury. Every month or so it was something new that kept him off the practice field.

3) Parcells and Jones felt the need to trade draft choices for Fujita instead of promoting Burnett. That shows not much confidence in a high draft pick who was supposed to become a cornerstone of the 3-4 defense for eyars to come. Compare in talent level with Thurman and Tatupu who were drafted near the same slot as Burnett.

4) Burnett in his heart of hearts is a 49er fan and grew up hating Dallas. I'd be happy to trade him right now. Wonder what we could get?

ddh33

Reaction score
He's going to be one of the more interesting stories of training camp to me.

It wasn't very long ago that you couldn't find a single quote from anyone involved with the Cowboys that wasn't positive about him. Even the cockiness was almost embraced. I remember Bill talking about needing to take him down a peg or two. Bill didn't say it with contempt though.

The injuries did really set him back. He also had to learn all of the LB positions. That makes it even harder on a young player. But he did learn them, and I think that scored him some points.

When he finally did get on the field late in the season, I saw some glimpses. He was starting to be in the middle of a lot of plays, and he even had a sack and was getting some pressure. Unfortunately, he was injured right after that...

Now, I'm interested to see where he fits. Will he be playing inside or outside? Will the Cowboys be counting on him for anything this season? Is he going to be a valuable role player for the team in nickle packages or things like that?

DBoys

Reaction score
You guys are harsh he was fighting injuries all last year. He started to really come on late last year then he hurt his knee. I expect good things from him.

blindzebra

Reaction score
When we drafted him our plan was to use him as a swing LB, Parcells loves a guy that can play any of the 4 LB spots.

Ware wore down from too many snaps last year.

James play fell off late too, and he is not very good in coverage.

If we draft a LB in the first, that means we will have two starters that have not played 3-4.

LB is crucial in the 3-4 and for it to really take off you need at least 5 starting quality players. IMO, what we do in the first at LB gives absolutely no insight on how we feel about Burnett, it's a means to rid the roster of Shanle, Fowler, Singleton or Thornton.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
50cent said:
My predictions:
Burnett gets moved to MLB.
He spells James and Ayodele in situational packages.
JAmes has another stellar year with 100 plus tackles.
James demands money in a Witten, James, and Roy contract year.
Cowboys can't meet JAmes demands while re-signing Witten and Roy. With Tnew re-signing in mind for next year.
Burnett takes over at MLB for James in 2007.

ill take it as long as KB becomes a 100 plus tackling machine

50cent

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
When we drafted him our plan was to use him as a swing LB, Parcells loves a guy that can play any of the 4 LB spots.

Ware wore down from too many snaps last year.

James play fell off late too, and he is not very good in coverage.

If we draft a LB in the first, that means we will have two starters that have not played 3-4.

LB is crucial in the 3-4 and for it to really take off you need at least 5 starting quality players. IMO, what we do in the first at LB gives absolutely no insight on how we feel about Burnett, it's a means to rid the roster of Shanle, Fowler, Singleton or Thornton.
You finally said something that I agree with.