Thoughts on Michigan DE Aidan Hutchinson

cnuball21

Reaction score
Great college player but I need to know what kind of athlete he is…combine will be huge for him.

Kayvon is DE1 for me.

buddieluver

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/aidan-hutc...ial-no-1-pick-in-2022-nfl-draft-scouts-love-l

Checking in at 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds (school measurements), Hutchinson boasts the kind of explosive attributes that earned him the No. 2 spot on Bruce Feldman's 2021 "Freaks List," an annual celebration of the premium athletic marvels at the college level. Per Feldman's reporting from last summer, the big-bodied pass rusher posted some impressive testing numbers, including a 4.64 40-yard dash, a 36-inch vertical leap and a jaw-dropping 6.54 three-cone drill. The freakish athleticism certainly pops when reviewing Michigan tape, as does Hutchinson's raw will to compete. It is hard to find gifted pass rushers who play as hard as he does from snap to whistle on every play.

The 21-year-old could be the top player in this draft class because he is a skilled pass rusher with an array of athletic moves that make him a nightmare to deal with on the edges. Hutchinson is capable of turning speed into power with hesitation bull rushes, while also flashing arm-overs and two-handed swipe maneuvers that showcase his agility, balance and body control. With the Michigan standout also displaying an ultra-quick first step and an explosive closing burst, he possesses enough tools in the toolbox to wreak havoc on opponents as a designated pass rusher from either side.

Against the run, Hutchinson plays with leverage and flashes enough strength to hold the point against maulers on the edge. He plays bigger than his size, yet possesses the quickness and agility of a smaller man. The unique combination of size, strength and explosiveness is problematic for offenses, as the Michigan star plays like a three-down defender on the edge.

cnuball21

Reaction score
His draft status is completely combine dependent IMO…dudes a college monster but is gonna have to show up at the combine and show he’s an NFL athlete.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think he’s going to test well. I think he’ll be at least as good as the Bosa brothers from a testing standpoint. I’d be shocked if he makes it out of the top 10.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago I saw him in mock drafts going in the 20s and I was like, uh, yeah, that’s who we need to draft.

Now everyone has him as the #1 pick.

He looks like a heck of a prospect. Probably a 7 sack floor every season.

Plankton

Reaction score
He's like the third Bosa brother in terms of play style, technique and motor. I don't think he's on their level, but he's very good.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He's like the third Bosa brother in terms of play style, technique and motor. I don't think he's on their level, but he's very good.
TBH, he’s playing just as well as TJ did his last season at Wisky. Will he morph into a stud beyond college like TJ did? Who knows.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
but I need to know what kind of athlete he i

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football...tchinson-named-no-2-freak-in-college-football

"While at Michigan, Paye clocked the second-best 3-cone time on the team at 6.37. This offseason, Hutchinson timed 6.54, which would’ve been better than anyone at the 2020 combine. In addition, he vertical jumped 36 inches, ran a 4.64 40 and ripped off a 4.07 shuttle time. Hutchinson also did a 2.57-second reactive plyo stair, which at 265, amazed even his strength coaches.”

He checks the Athlete box.

cnuball21

Reaction score
https://www.maizenbrew.com/football...tchinson-named-no-2-freak-in-college-football

"While at Michigan, Paye clocked the second-best 3-cone time on the team at 6.37. This offseason, Hutchinson timed 6.54, which would’ve been better than anyone at the 2020 combine. In addition, he vertical jumped 36 inches, ran a 4.64 40 and ripped off a 4.07 shuttle time. Hutchinson also did a 2.57-second reactive plyo stair, which at 265, amazed even his strength coaches.”

He checks the Athlete box.

With a hand watch right? I’d put very little stock into this…

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He reminds me a ton of the Bosa Bros... big white dude with top-end lateral agility. You can almost see Hutchinson running the cones on some of his sacks, he has a ton of bend.

Both Bosas have been nearly unblockable in the NFL, so I think Hutchinson's game will similarly translate well. Top 5 guy all day. We'll see how him vs Thibodeux shakes out, but both are blue chip prospects.