Thoughts On Recovery And Building

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Glass half-full folks think themselves more loyal fans, while glass half-empty partisans think themselves realists. Neither is right. Most see the world through the filter of our personalities. Some are more optimistic than others, which is neither good nor bad. It is merely what we are.

I tend to be optimistic. But at my age, I've seen enough to understand the pitfalls. And I know we fall in from time to time.

The Cowboys situation -- cap space is better than league average, but we must account for signing QB1. Assuming a realistic deal, after that is done, cap space should be league average.

The team will have 9-10 draft picks, and 6 of those are likely in the first 4 rounds, when compensatory picks are awarded. The 10th position in the draft order should enable the team to have movement flexibility.

The OL was crushed by injuries last year but objectively isn't "old." Still, whether Tyron needs to be replaced now or later, they must prepare. There is no credible reason to think Collins has a long-term injury issue, but time will tell.

Armed with knowledge of injury circumstances, Dallas should take an OL either near the top of the draft (might be BPA and could expect Tyron to retire or be waived) or in the middle rounds.

Even if Dallas needs a quick fix at OT, the team could take a quality G in the 3rd round, move some pieces around and survive barring another injury onslaught.

Otherwise, the offense is pretty well set. The other issue is Gallup's future in his contract year. He is unlikely to get a 2nd contract, though he has earned one. Salary cap probably shouldn't bend to accommodate 3 costly WRs. Lamb eventually will need to be paid.

Folks might not like Elliott's contract, but he is a solid to excellent RB (depending how healthy you think he was in 2020 and how much of his struggles you attribute to the battered OL). Pollard is a quality backup, at least.

Schultz proved the TE position is adequate and has depth. Jarwin adds explosiveness.

My bet is QB1 gets signed shortly after the 2021 cap is set. I'd be surprised if it happens before unless teams have been reliably informed of the outcome.

Dallas has abundant resources to improve the defense. At least 5 picks could be made there in the first 4 rounds, and that doesn't assume a trade down for an extra pick or 2.

Given the relative state of rosters and QB situations, assuming QB1 is signed, Dallas might be best positioned to benefit from a trade down. The 4th QB in the draft, probably Lance, could fall to 10. If not, at least 1 deeply hyped player will have. A team could also fall like the Alabama QB and want to go to 10.

The Cowboys will have modest room to make FA additions. They must make smart moves. We shall see. Alternatively, they could waive Tyron and Jaylon, restructure contracts, and create more room to upgrade through FA. Check Overthecap's website if skeptical.

My guess is they take the modest approach. If so, they need to be smarter and more efficient. We shall see.

Bottom line, there are strong, organic upgrades through injury recovery. Martin, Collins and maybe Tyron will very likely return in good health. So will Jarwin. QB1 shouldn't be impacted long-term by the type of injury he had.

Defense is the issue. I don't know that you want Awuzie, Lewis and X. Woods back. I'd rather draft replacements, I think. FA could be a bridge. If I had to keep one, it would be Awuzie, but I think he will do a bit better in FA than most probably think. Teams love traits.

Even if I think Jaylon's performance rebounds and LVE discovers a Magic Health Pill, I don't think both fit into what Quinn likely will want to do. He likely wants one smaller, faster LB. You don't want to pay Jaylon or LVE to play strong side. One or both likely leave this year or next.

You need a disruptive DT, a FS, a LB, 2 corners and an OL. FA needs to fill 2-3 slots. Draft the others and let the young guys play. Might even have 1-2 already on the roster.

Dallas showed more guts last year to move from mistakes than it had in the past. I hope that continues this off-season.

visionary

Reaction score
I’m in agreement with you largely but I would pick 2 starters in FA. Namely Tomlinson (1T DT) and one of Williams/Maye/Harris (FS) to start and provide long term answers

then you draft BPA at DT, LB, OL

I totally agree about Gallup and would try to trade him now if I can get a 2 or 3 for him

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I’m in agreement with you largely but I would pick 2 starters in FA. Namely Tomlinson (1T DT) and one of Williams/Maye/Harris (FS) to start and provide long term answers

then you draft BPA at DT, LB, OL

I totally agree about Gallup and would try to trade him now if I can get a 2 or 3 for him
I prefer your FA approach. Pick 1-2 solid players rather than reach to fill more holes. Agree with you completely. I fear they won't, but maybe having been burned...

Gallup is an interesting case. If you can get a 2, I agree. Make the deal. If a 3 is the best you can do, it comes down to whether you truly expect to contend. If so, you keep him. If not, I'd rather have a 3 in 2021 than a 3-4 in 2022.

I hope they are realistic. They know about the condition of those injured players. We don't. If there are negative things we don't know, they have to see this as a 2-year reload. If the injury recovery process is rosier, they can contend next year.

It's a matter of what they know. In the most optimistic scenario, they return 2 Pro Bowl OL and one more who is on that track. They also return a seam-running TE. Of course, QB1 is healthy. The offense is loaded.

Maybe they think LVE's neck issues are repaired and he will be healthy barring bad luck. That's a bet that would make my wallet sweat, but maybe they do.

If all those things were true, there is no reason a good off-season wouldn't yield a strong contender.

My worries on that front are Tyron and the LBs. I'm afraid that road is dark and murky.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
If I’m the FO, I’m going into the season expecting Jaylon to be a spare and LVE to be a bonus if he is on the field
I have a sneaky suspicion Jaylon winds up a post-June 1 cut - unless they are skeptical of LVE's health. But that's a pretty big unless.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I prefer your FA approach. Pick 1-2 solid players rather than reach to fill more holes. Agree with you completely. I fear they won't, but maybe having been burned...

Gallup is an interesting case. If you can get a 2, I agree. Make the deal. If a 3 is the best you can do, it comes down to whether you truly expect to contend. If so, you keep him. If not, I'd rather have a 3 in 2021 than a 3-4 in 2022.

I hope they are realistic. They know about the condition of those injured players. We don't. If there are negative things we don't know, they have to see this as a 2-year reload. If the injury recovery process is rosier, they can contend next year.

It's a matter of what they know. In the most optimistic scenario, they return 2 Pro Bowl OL and one more who is on that track. They also return a seam-running TE. Of course, QB1 is healthy. The offense is loaded.

Maybe they think LVE's neck issues are repaired and he will be healthy barring bad luck. That's a bet that would make my wallet sweat, but maybe they do.

If all those things were true, there is no reason a good off-season wouldn't yield a strong contender.

My worries on that front are Tyron and the LBs. I'm afraid that road is dark and murky.
No team in this entire league is going to surrender a 2 for Gallup.
I enjoy reading your thoughts, but that scenario is just not going to play out.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The offense should be fine with or without Dak. It's the defense that is an issue. So many ppl leaving, no depth, not much money to spend on starting quality players. We are going to have to take a few chances on some guys and they will need to hit. Think george selvie, kerry hyder, david irving, and not the mccoys, poe's and dix we got last year types.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
No team in this entire league is going to surrender a 2 for Gallup.
I enjoy reading your thoughts, but that scenario is just not going to play out.
Oh I agree. Just laying out the terms. Thank you.