Thoughts on Reggie Smith:

TEUFELI

Reaction score
His stock has plummeted after he played his last football game. But he was a good defensive back, and a playmaker for OU. He was injured for a while, and his pro day wasn't that bad, but it kinda got lost in the hubub of the Malcolm Kelly experience.

If we go RB/trade down, or WR/RB, or any combo where we dont take a db in the 1st (for lack of value reasons or whatever)...do we consider Reggie in the 2nd. A versatile guy who can play nickel, and really be a talented platoon player if you will for our secondary. I think he is a talented safety.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/reggiesmith/reggiesmith.html

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I am sure our scouts have checked him out .......he will not go overlooked.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I always thought he looked like a talented player when I saw OU, but some OU fans have said he's lazy and doesn't have a great motor -- big red flag.

(Is Dallas gonna hate me now?)

There's a good interview with him I read on another board where he gave good answers and seemed to have a good attitude, though... Maybe I'll see if I can find it.

Also, GoldenRichards83 can tell you about how he talked to Bobby Jack Wright and his coach wasn't too high on him.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think he's going to end up at safety rather than CB in the NFL.

ddh33

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2037288 said:
I always thought he looked like a talented player when I saw OU, but some OU fans have said he's lazy and doesn't have a great motor -- big red flag.

There's a good interview with him I read on another board where he gave good answers and seemed to have a good attitude, though... Maybe I'll see if I can find it.

Also, GoldenRichards83 can tell you about how he talked to Bobby Jack Wright and his coach wasn't too high on him.

Just to be clear, you are saying that Bobby Jack Wright didn't like Reggie?

All I ever heard about Reggie was positive. As an OU fan, I thought he was a little overrated by fans, but the coaches always seemed to love him. Actually, Bobby Jack Wright is a guy who isn't as highly thought of by fans...

Not that any of this matters too much. I was just curious.

As for Reggie's fit in Dallas, I think it could work out alright. I'm still not completely sure what his position is, but I think he has the versatility to do a lot of things well, even if he isn't great at any one thing. You need guys like that on your team.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yes, here is what was said...

TONYHILL80 wrote: I talked with the guy who coached Smith Bobby-Jack Wright and he wasn't high on Smith at all. I met him on a recruiting trip in Atlanta. I ask him how does his game translates to the NFL and he said he thinks Smith will be an average player at best. He couldn't stop talkin about Curtis Lofton though.

BTW, here is the interview I was talking about... Thanks to Slate for the find.

The following is from an interview from Nfldraftcountdown:

Scott Wright: You suffered a toe injury late in the '07 season. What was the exact nature of that injury and where are you at health-wise now?

Reggie Smith: At the end of the season I broke my big right toe and it took about three months for it to fully heal.

Right now I am pretty much all the way back.

Scott Wright: Is it anything that might affect you long-term?

Reggie Smith: I went to the Combine for a re-check and I was told that it looked like it was an old injury I had for a while and I guess they just said I kind of re-aggravated it. It’s fine now though so I’m not really worried about it.

Scott Wright: Much has been made about the controversial workout on April 9 that featured you and Malcolm Kelly. What are your thoughts on the whole situation in terms of the running surface and how do you feel you did?

Reggie Smith: I think I did well overall. Like you said there was a big controversy and I can see why Malcolm was mad because he was told before he’d be running on a different surface and when he got there they changed it. I can see why he was frustrated. It was just a real bad situation I think but, I mean, it is what it is and the times are what they’re going to be. In my heart I know from past experiences that we’ve never run that slow on that surface so it’s just kind of strange we ran a tenth slower. I’ve run a 4.4 on it before and Malcolm’s run at least a 4.5 or something like that so it’s strange. I’m not really worrying about it and hopefully things work out.

Scott Wright: You played safety as a freshman and sophomore and then moved to cornerback as a junior. Based on your meetings with teams where do you think you will end up in the NFL?

Reggie Smith: It just depends. Some teams think I’ll be a better corner and some teams think I’ll be a better safety. I’m hearing both. It will just be wherever I fit in best on the team.

Scott Wright: Which position do you prefer?

Reggie Smith: When I first got to OU I strictly wanted to play safety because that was all I had played in high school and growing up. Once I actually did play corner I kind of started growing fond of it so if you asked me now I’d probably like playing corner better than safety but I can do both.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

Reggie Smith: Like I’ve been saying this whole time my biggest strength is probably my versatility. I can play corner, the nickel back position if needed, or safety. I think I can help out a lot in any situation. I think I need to work on some of my corner skills because I haven’t played that as much as I’ve played safety.

Scott Wright: What current NFL defensive back do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Reggie Smith: Most admire. Let me think… I recently started watching Terence Newman from the Cowboys. He’s a real good defender, real fast and makes a lot of plays. The comparison I’ve been hearing for me for a while is Marlin Jackson. I looked it up on the internet and I guess he played kind of safety and corner in college so that looks like a pretty fair comparison.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Reggie Smith: Either going to the state championship in high school or winning back-to-back Big 12 Championship games.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Reggie Smith: Probably Vince Young. He’s amazing.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Oklahoma that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Reggie Smith: Can I say two? DeMarco Murray at running back and Jermaine Gresham the tight end.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Reggie Smith: I really didn’t have a favorite college team growing up, I just watched the games a lot. OU, OSU, I didn’t really care I just wanted to watch the games. I did kind of like the Falcons when Jamal Anderson was there and they were the “Dirty Birds” and whatnot. My favorite player right now is probably Reggie Bush.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you most looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Reggie Smith: Randy Moss or T.O.

They’re great challenges and great athletes.

Scott Wright: At what point did you realize that you might have a future in football beyond college?

Reggie Smith: Probably my freshman year in college. I had the opportunity to start pretty much after the third game of my freshman year and I think it’s pretty rare for a freshman to start at the safety position at a major college like that.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Reggie Smith: I would like to coach, I think, or go back and do something in the business area like accounting. My dad is an accountant so I think something in that area might be something I’d like to do.

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Reggie Smith: Probably just a nice little house or apartment wherever I’m going to be staying. I’m not real big on buying a whole much of stuff because I’m a real stingy, tightwad type of person.

Scott Wright: What’s the most embarrassing song on your iPod?

Reggie Smith: I can’t think of the name of it but I have an Avril Lavigne song on my iPod.

Scott Wright: Do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (i.e. Round 1, Round 2, etc.)?

Reggie Smith: Everyone dreams of going in the first round so that’s kind of my goal. It’s a long road to make it there I just hope I can get in the first round and if not the second.

Scott Wright: Is there one or two teams in particular that you’ve noticed paying more attention to you than others?

Reggie Smith: I really don’t know… I’ve been hearing a lot of stuff, I mean, I’ve heard Dallas and that would be fine with me.

I’ve only visited Buffalo so far but I go to Kansas City and New England next week. Then I visited with a couple of others. Pittsburgh came to visit me here in Oklahoma and Cincinnati.

Scott Wright: Is there one team that you think you would fit in well with?

Reggie Smith: Not really.

I think I can fit in anywhere and can adapt to a lot of things.

Scott Wright: Thanks for the time and good luck in a couple of weeks!

ddh33

Reaction score
Well, at least I can understand where Bobby Jack is coming from on that. Like I said, I'm not completely sure where Reggie fits. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good guy to have on your college team though...

And I completely agree about Curtis Lofton. That guy is a beast.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2037464 said:
Yes, here is what was said...

BTW, here is the interview I was talking about... Thanks to Slate for the find.

That's actually the interview link I provided when I started the thread. But thanks for the help.

I like him mostly b/c if we got Henry/Newman/Jones at cb, and Roy/Hamlin at safety, I think he provides us needed depth should/when one of those goes down. Ideally, we trade our 28 for 2 of ATL's 2nd's, and then we take him with our original late 2nd...

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2037288 said:

Why are you calling me out in a post bro? WTH?

Make your post and move on. There is no need to get personal w/ me. ***?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dallas;2037899 said:
Why are you calling me out in a post bro? WTH?

Make your post and move on. There is no need to get personal w/ me. ***?

Oh good grief. It was just a joke based on the way you've posted about Kelly.

Boomer! :rolleyes:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2037911 said:
Oh good grief. It was just a joke based on the way you've posted about Kelly.

Boomer! :rolleyes:

My appologies then. Bad dad. 4 of my co-workers were just discovered dead w/ 1 tech barely clinging to life on the side of Sheep Mountain.

I hate flying to jobs in choppers.

alancdc

Reaction score
I thought he was a pretty solid outfielder for the Dodgers back in the late 70's.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I cant believe how im showing OU players love but Reggie Smith is a good player.

He can also save you a roster spot because he can play corner or Free Safety.

His 40 times were bogus. He is fast and athletic. Hes also "ok" at returning punts.

I like his versatility and athleticism.

NickZepp

Reaction score
The problem with Reggie is how his game translates to the pros. At OU he was basically a shut down corner. One of the best OU's had in recent years. But with the zone OU plays, the corners don't really showcase being shut down guys unless blitzes are called. I'm not sure if he should have gone out this year.