Thoughts on releasing Cooper after the season

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
That would be stupid! We have NO replacement. League not tough on him. I would of fined him 100,000.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
On paper, I agree. But Ceedee is still extremely raw and has areas that he needs to clean up. His route running and hands aren’t even close to Cooper’s right now

Ceedee is ready to be a #1 receiver. He’s got to fix the drops though….drops can derail a dudes career fast.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cooper has been getting hounded by the media and now the league is on his case.

I think Jerry is angling for Coop’s release with some of the public statements he made earlier in the season. It also seems the media attention is targeted, and it could be the team playing PR games.

Theories aside, if the FO is interested in bringing Wilson back and they believe Gallup can be brought back on a 1 year deal, releasing Coop does make financial sense. They could transition 10 million of the cap from offense to defense with that one move.

I really like Amari and his quiet confidence but his production has been down so paying him 21 million next season seems insane.

I think Cooper stays and his contract will be restructured to free up money vs the cap

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t see the Cowboys moving on from Amari. He made several big plays this season and led all our receivers in TDs with 8. He’s our best route runner and has to be accounted for. He put up 139 yards in the opener against Tampa and had 122 yards against Minnesota with Cooper Rush. He’s our best receiver. Can’t understand why so many fans want to move on from him.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I think Cooper stays and his contract will be restructured to free up money vs the cap

That would be ideal. That’s why I think the team may be behind some of the media bologna. Pressure Coop and his agent to accept a restructure.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Cooper runs the best routes, period. I want to keep him. He disappears because Dak goes into "3 yard pass mode" and doesn't throw to the wide open guy down field, IMO. A contract restructure would be great.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Cooper has been getting hounded by the media and now the league is on his case.

I think Jerry is angling for Coop’s release with some of the public statements he made earlier in the season. It also seems the media attention is targeted, and it could be the team playing PR games.

Theories aside, if the FO is interested in bringing Wilson back and they believe Gallup can be brought back on a 1 year deal, releasing Coop does make financial sense. They could transition 10 million of the cap from offense to defense with that one move.

I really like Amari and his quiet confidence but his production has been down so paying him 21 million next season seems insane.
Why would you release him. Trade him and get something for our best receiver.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That would be ideal. That’s why I think the team may be behind some of the media bologna. Pressure Coop and his agent to accept a restructure.

Players do not lose money in restructure, any player who has his deal restructured just has a percentage of the salary converted into bonus money that is then spread out. It takes the lump some of next year lowers that years hit but spreads the money out. restructure is not a pay cut.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Ceedee is ready to be a #1 receiver. He’s got to fix the drops though….drops can derail a dudes career fast.
I hope you’re right. This is his first full year with Dak so in a way it’s a rookie type season.

My concern is also his route running along with his hands. He hasn’t been able to take advantage of the number 2/3 DB’s as Cooper usually draws 1’s. Is he ready and polished enough to be the focal point of the passing attack? That’s the question that I’m not quite sure I can confidently say yes to.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Players do not lose money in restructure, any player who has his deal restructured just has a percentage of the salary converted into bonus money that is then spread out. It takes the lump some of next year lowers that years hit but spreads the money out. restructure is not a pay cut.

That’s only if Dallas wants to screw the cap in later years to keep Cooper. I don’t see them doing that. Only guys I see being offered that are ZM or Dak. Both of them will likely restructure as well.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cooper runs the best routes, period. I want to keep him. He disappears because Dak goes into "3 yard pass mode" and doesn't throw to the wide open guy down field, IMO. A contract restructure would be great.
No.

Cooper has failed to get open often this year...and mostly against 1-on-1's. He even admitted as much recently. Inexcusable, especially for someone getting paid $20+ million/year.

khiladi

Reaction score
Ah yes, the next scapegoat…

Cooper basically said he’s not getting targets. The coaches say Dak goes through his reads too quickly. I thought it was ALL the WRs not running the proper router during “Dak’s slump”.