Thoughts on trading next years 1st

dannyboy

Reaction score
I say we should draft a CB(Ross/Revis) in the first and if Blalock falls into the second, maybe we can trade our first next year(it should be a late pick) and maybe a sixth for a high second this year.

1st Ross/Revis
2nd Blalock
2nd Alama-Francis DE
3rd M Thomas DT
4th Zak DeOssie ILB

What a line!

Adams(340)-Blalock(320)-Guorde(320)-Davis(360)-Colombo(320)

Kosier can back up four positions

I think we shouild sign Adams to a three year extention as he is still young enough and playing well enough. Draft a wr next year and a LT in the next. year

Thoughts?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I can't see trading a #1 draft pick away to acquire a Guard. You use those to try and grab a blue chip prospect.

dannyboy

Reaction score
My thought is we will have a great team and our pick will be in the high 20s and Blalock is being thought of a serious ALL Pro possibility

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dannyboy;1450271 said:
My thought is we will have a great team and our pick will be in the high 20s and Blalock is being thought of a serious ALL Pro possibility
The Commanders had a similar thought when they did that to acquire Jason Campbell.

The same with the Bills when they acquired JP Losman.

The Seahawks felt Deon Branch was the final piece of their Super Bowl puzzle after they fell just short.

So did we when we traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway.

Unless it is a very rare opportunity, I just don't think trading your future 1st round pick is worth it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1450275 said:
The Commanders had a similar thought when they did that to acquire Jason Campbell.

The same with the Bills when they acquired JP Losman.

The Seahawks felt Deon Branch was the final piece of their Super Bowl puzzle after they fell just short.

So did we when we traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway.

Unless it is a very rare opportunity, I just don't think trading your future 1st round pick is worth it.

Yep...it would have to be a scenario, in my mind, where you were moving up from your first round pick. For example if Calvin J fell into the 10th spot or something along those lines (I know it won't happen just an example) than MAYBE you would trade away next years first to move up with this years first to get him.

However moving up from the second round, after you already used this years first, and give away next years first...no thanks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1450292 said:
Yep...it would have to be a scenario, in my mind, where you were moving up from your first round pick. For example if Calvin J fell into the 10th spot or something along those lines (I know it won't happen just an example) than MAYBE you would trade away next years first to move up with this years first to get him.

However moving up from the second round, after you already used this years first, and give away next years first...no thanks.
Exactly. If I can package this year's #1 and next year's to move up and grab someone like Laron landry (more likely to fall to within reach than CJ) I would consider it. But once you are in the 2nd round of a current draft the players are no longer first round picks. Using a future one to get a 2nd rounder doesn't work for me. There are other ways of getting to the top of the 2nd round that are less costly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would not be in favor of such a move. I don't like trading future 1st Rd picks but that's just me. I would rather trade down from 22 and aquire more picks in the top 100.

I think the top 10 to 15 guys are a bit of a cut above. From say 15 down to 40 are really about the same level IMO. 41 to about 75 and then 76 to roughly 100. If I can trade down from 22 and pick up a couple extra picks between 22 to 40, I'd really rather do that.

Reaction score
Hmm, I wouldn't trade next year's 1st for anything. Dallas might stink it up this year and have a top 10 pick, you never know...

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would never trade away a future #1 unless someone like Aikman or someone of that quality was available. A franchise QB is the only player worth doing that for.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1450455 said:
Hmm, I wouldn't trade next year's 1st for anything. Dallas might stink it up this year and have a top 10 pick, you never know...

I don't think there is a team in the NFL that is not an injury away from going 3 and 13. The falcons went to a Super Bowl in the offseason they gave up a future 1st for a high second who they used to take Reggie Kelly. Jamal Anderson blows out his knee they tank the season and Baltimore gets the number 5 overall pick the next year. I'd rather keep the pick what if Romo craps all over himself. What if Romo gets injured and we have to go 15 starts with Brad Johnson. Is it worth the possiblity of missing out on a player like Dwight McFadden?

Verdict

Reaction score
It would probably not be a good move to give up our first round pick for a second rounder this year under most circumstances. I'm not going to say it should never happen, but it is probably not a very good idea to do so. You generally only see that if someone is trying to get their franchise QB in the latter part of the first round, and that hasn't been that successful in the past.

It would probably be a better idea to package lower round picks to move up. I am really interested to see if we package picks to move up this year, since we have quite a few picks this year, or if we trade the picks and defer them into next year to acquire even better picks the following year. The problem that I see for us is that it is going to take more talent to crack the roster this year than in years past. Lower picks are probably not going to have the value to us that they have had in prior years. I could see us moving down from #22 to acquire an additional second and third if we dont move up from #22.

I kinda doubt we stay at 22 this year. I think we will move up, or down, if we have a trade partner.

Benni

Reaction score
I would rather trade our 1st round pick away for an additional 1st round pick next year then the other way around :) ... perhabs the cardinals are interested if Joe Staley is there at #22?