Thoughts/Opinions about last night's win-where is the pass rush?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Before many say the Cowboys suck and they looked terrible against a bad team, we all have to remember most teams who travel on this Thursday schedule tend to have ugly performances. Add in the fact that this Cowboy team has never done this, they did what they had to and came home with a victory. Yes, a ton to clean up and some injury concerns, but most had them 2-2 at this point when the schedule originally came out.

Defense

-Tremendous job stopping the run this week, the Giants averaged less then 2 yards a carry. Keep in mind the Giants ran the ball well the prior week against a good Browns run defense. This is a step in the right direction. Thought our linebackers played well, especially Overshown.
-Donovan Wilson continues to struggle as a tackler. Had a 4th down stop and couldn't finish, saw several other missed tackles as well. I really would like to see Bell see some snaps.
-Liked what I saw from Kneeland, he flashed, had his 1st sack and even made a huge tackle on special teams.
-Nabers is a real good talent, but didn't see much damage against our best corner in Diggs, he was abusing the other corner opposite him, where Zimmer had to bench Booth. We really need to get healthy fast at the position.
-Where has the pass rush gone? We normally kill the Giants OL, yet Daniel Jones rarely saw any pressure at all, even when we were fully healthy. Fully understand he was getting the ball out quickly, but did take several deep shots. Lack of pass rush is the reason why this game was so close.

Offense

-Still cannot run the football with any consistency. When they do get a nice run, it is usually cause of a penalty.
-What to do with Tyler Guyton? He either is holding on every play or getting beaten inside. Blows my mind why they do not offer him help. Do you live with his growing pains or sit him on the bench until he is ready? He is one of the main reasons why drives stall.
-Is it time to demote Brandin Cooks? He isn't giving the team much of anything these days. Why not give Tolbert a chance and see what he can do with a larger role?
-Give Dak credit, very hard to get in rhythm when the other team is possessing the ball so much. Thought he played well.

Special Teams

-Our kicker is human, missed an important kick, but it didn't cost us the game. However, he did nail a 60 yarder which certainly makes up for one miss.

Aven8

Reaction score
The pass rush is non existent. Yes we stopped the run but Jones was as efficient as I’ve ever seen him.

Nabors looks like Justin Jefferson 2.0.

Though Dak was super accurate last night.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The pass rush pretty much consists of Micah. When Micah is tired, or isn’t getting home, the pass rush is not good.

It’s going to be like that the rest of the season unless Kneeland progresses and Lawrence starts to look less old. Losing both Armstrong and Williams has not helped this DL. Plus the secondary isn’t as good, so QBs don’t have to wait in the pocket as long.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The pass rush was a concern before the season started. Having a good game in Cleveland didn't erase that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Before many say the Cowboys suck and they looked terrible against a bad team, we all have to remember most teams who travel on this Thursday schedule tend to have ugly performances. Add in the fact that this Cowboy team has never done this, they did what they had to and came home with a victory. Yes, a ton to clean up and some injury concerns, but most had them 2-2 at this point when the schedule originally came out.

Defense

-Tremendous job stopping the run this week, the Giants averaged less then 2 yards a carry. Keep in mind the Giants ran the ball well the prior week against a good Browns run defense. This is a step in the right direction. Thought our linebackers played well, especially Overshown.
-Donovan Wilson continues to struggle as a tackler. Had a 4th down stop and couldn't finish, saw several other missed tackles as well. I really would like to see Bell see some snaps.
-Liked what I saw from Kneeland, he flashed, had his 1st sack and even made a huge tackle on special teams.
-Nabers is a real good talent, but didn't see much damage against our best corner in Diggs, he was abusing the other corner opposite him, where Zimmer had to bench Booth. We really need to get healthy fast at the position.
-Where has the pass rush gone? We normally kill the Giants OL, yet Daniel Jones rarely saw any pressure at all, even when we were fully healthy. Fully understand he was getting the ball out quickly, but did take several deep shots. Lack of pass rush is the reason why this game was so close.

Offense

-Still cannot run the football with any consistency. When they do get a nice run, it is usually cause of a penalty.
-What to do with Tyler Guyton? He either is holding on every play or getting beaten inside. Blows my mind why they do not offer him help. Do you live with his growing pains or sit him on the bench until he is ready? He is one of the main reasons why drives stall.
-Is it time to demote Brandin Cooks? He isn't giving the team much of anything these days. Why not give Tolbert a chance and see what he can do with a larger role?
-Give Dak credit, very hard to get in rhythm when the other team is possessing the ball so much. Thought he played well.

Special Teams

-Our kicker is human, missed an important kick, but it didn't cost us the game. However, he did nail a 60 yarder which certainly makes up for one miss.
I skimmed through that ,

but I can tell you why titan's not getting a lot of help because steele's not doing his job, you can't help both guys, and I really don't think it's that bad guys being called for some ticky tack calls on some of the speed rushes but overall he is not Chaz green...

I don't think he's played that bad but you're right you would want to help the rookie, but Steele is not playing well that man is overpaid, and we can't cover up two tackles.

We will go through growing pains and the guy will grow and I believe I'm not worried he will play better this is what we mean when we say baptized under fire this is it he's getting his learning lessons and I believe he's going to end up being better for it but I don't even want concentrate on the offense, I mean we need some better run game or whatever this offense can put up points if Mike McCarthy stops protecting the defense he's literally calling plays so vanilla because he wants to drive the ball so slow because he's afraid to put the defense back on the field...hes said that in coach speaks after every game, hear between the lines hes afraid of aggressive higher risk O because his d is bad they need rest..ugh!!..

SO yes, right we need to get the defense playing better on both phases right now you finally stopping the run they know that just go to the other side wherever diggs is not they're going to throw the ball that way and it's our safety Donovan Wilson and I don't know why people aren't talking about him more he's the weak spot it might be time to insert Thomas in his spot for a few weeks maybe like overshown sat in that Ravens game and hated it and came back and played with some aggression like he wanted to keep his job and I think Donovan Wilson right now is causing a lot of our problems missed tackles in the backfield missed tackles in the open field he's going for that big hit he's being burned and covered he's supposed to be helping some of these young guys like Carson and booth and he's not doing it he's not doing his job...

I mean hookers doing pretty damn well but right now I see Donovan Wilson is one of the big changes we need to make, and we need to find another pass rusher and I think his name is Overshown outside linebackers/ defensive end in the same mold as parsons...

Bland coming back should help tremendously..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The pass rush pretty much consists of Micah. When Micah is tired, or isn’t getting home, the pass rush is not good.

It’s going to be like that the rest of the season unless Kneeland progresses and Lawrence starts to look less old. Losing both Armstrong and Williams has not helped this DL. Plus the secondary isn’t as good, so QBs don’t have to wait in the pocket as long.
Remember secondary is missing a huge piece with Bland out. They were playing with a corner off the street to close the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Defense

Offense

Special Teams

two bad teams playing, something is going to give.

still concerned about defense. they didn't make a stop in first half. their first punt came with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd....a good team would have converted those FGs to TDs....this defense is still pathetic

blueblood70

Reaction score

Well that is true,

but don't forget that Sam Williams injury was a whole lot bigger than we thought when it happened... Unless Carl Lawson gets into some groove they're gonna have to figure out something in my opinion and nobody's probably going to agree with me,

I think overshown is built in the same mold as Parsons and he should be used in a creative way with Parsons as a pass rusher put them both on the same side put them both down the middle in both gaps have them rushing to pass her at the same time and really create habit because I think they're very similar players...

Hey I'm not a coach but I can tell you this I watched the game and I see what overshown can offer this defense and he needs a bigger role not just as a off the ball linebacker he needs to be played very similar to Parsons.. I think it'd be easier to work with the off the ball linebackers that we have on this team as regular linebacking quarters figure out how to work them in and use over shown in Parsons as your main pass rushers not every down but when you need an impact play both of them should be really putting pressure all over the line that we're playing..

This will be about Mike Zimmer coming up with more unique and creative ways to use some of his stars and also get Donovan Wilson off the starting field and move Thomas into the starting role just to see if he can be better and you can always bring Donovan Wilson back but he's a weak spot right now he's not helping the way he's supposed to be helping those young guys because diggs is not going to be thrown at and he's just off he's not tackling well he's not covering well he's going for the big hero hits and he's bouncing off players it's time to make that move for sure again this is coming from a casual fan I'm not a coach but I'm telling you right now these are what I saw last night is Donovan Wilson nearly cost us the game look at the Saints game who is the one two steps behind on some of them bombs who is the one missing tackles!!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I skimmed through that ,

but I can tell you why titan's not getting a lot of help because steele's not doing his job, you can't help both guys, and I really don't think it's that bad guys being called for some ticky tack calls on some of the speed rushes but overall he is not Chaz green...

I don't think he's played that bad but you're right you would want to help the rookie, but Steele is not playing well that man is overpaid, and we can't cover up two tackles.

We will go through growing pains and the guy will grow and I believe I'm not worried he will play better this is what we mean when we say baptized under fire this is it he's getting his learning lessons and I believe he's going to end up being better for it but I don't even want concentrate on the offense, I mean we need some better run game or whatever this offense can put up points if Mike McCarthy stops protecting the defense he's literally calling plays so vanilla because he wants to drive the ball so slow because he's afraid to put the defense back on the field...hes said that in coach speaks after every game, hear between the lines hes afraid of aggressive higher risk O because his d is bad they need rest..ugh!!..

SO yes, right we need to get the defense playing better on both phases right now you finally stopping the run they know that just go to the other side wherever diggs is not they're going to throw the ball that way and it's our safety Donovan Wilson and I don't know why people aren't talking about him more he's the weak spot it might be time to insert Thomas in his spot for a few weeks maybe like overshown sat in that Ravens game and hated it and came back and played with some aggression like he wanted to keep his job and I think Donovan Wilson right now is causing a lot of our problems missed tackles in the backfield missed tackles in the open field he's going for that big hit he's being burned and covered he's supposed to be helping some of these young guys like Carson and booth and he's not doing it he's not doing his job...

I mean hookers doing pretty damn well but right now I see Donovan Wilson is one of the big changes we need to make, and we need to find another pass rusher and I think his name is Overshown outside linebackers/ defensive end in the same mold as parsons...

Bland coming back should help tremendously..
I agree about Wilson, he needs to be replaced. He is doing more harm then good. Missed tackles leads to chunk plays. He also has struggled in coverage.

Redline360

Reaction score
Pros:
*Dak made some tight windows throws and had no turnovers
*Defense played great stopping the run
*Overshown
*We won
*Lamb looked good
*Held the Giants to FG
*Mazi had his best game

Cons
*No pass rush
*Daniel Jones for 3 of the 4 quarters carved up the secondary
*Giants controlled ToP and looked better then the cowboys for the majority of the game
* Dak stats - good on paper but anyone who watched the game knows it's a different story. Offense didn't look that great overall. They had both starting CBs out on an already terrible secondary.
*penalties
*zero run game

Overall it wasn't pretty on either side of the ball besides the run defense stepping up. Offense stalled against a putrid giants team and the Cowboys secondary was getting picked apart. We simply got lucky it was the Giants and they couldn't finish drives. Vast majority of teams would have made it another embarrassing game.

Why is zeke even playing. Bring up Cook, can't be any worse. Dowdle started extremely slow but had two good runs then he either took himself out or was taken out. Also had another 8-9y run called back. Could of had a decent night

links18

Reaction score
Where is the pass rush? Getting run out of the play trying to make a straight line to the QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree about Wilson, he needs to be replaced. He is doing more harm then good. Missed tackles leads to chunk plays. He also has struggled in coverage.
Hey why not over two games let Thomas play his role and if it doesn't work out put Donovan Wilson back in but right now he would have to understand he cost us a bunch of first downs last night he's trying to play hero ball you know he's not breaking down he's diving at people's feet he's trying to make the big blow up hit you know that's A&M crap lol Hookem LOL

I mean you do realize ****** it's played pretty well last night and then bell was out and Donovan Wilson just over extended on every play he was out of position and he's not doing what safety is supposed to do to help the young guys opposite of digs to me he's a weak spot right now and we have Thomas ,Thomas is a pretty good player right if he's not then take him back out but I'd like to see Thomas get the starting job next week. Bell should be back as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Actually 27 kept showing up on the screen a lot. I was pretty impressed by him. Can’t spell his name!
write another guy on this team that we have to come up with a nickname.LOL . well let him play another couple games before he earns a nickname. Will this refer to him as 27 I thought it was Kearse back out there playing... until i remember he's no longer on the team but we need bland back in a bad way.

Creeper

Reaction score
The defense not forcing a punt in the first half is a warning sign. Against a better offense the Cowboys could have been down 28-14 at the half. They tightened things up a little bit in the second half but I'd like to see them play a little tougher from the start.

Too many penalties. They fell for the hard count twice.

Too many missed tackles again. Poor technique. Wilson missed that tackle in the backfield to get the defense off the field. Parsons hit the RB in the backfield too and let himself get carried for 4 yards.

Guyton is a problem and they have to give him help. But Steele is only marginally better. Guyton is getting killed on those inside moves. He needs to work on that a lot.

I thought there were some decent holes for the RBs last night. The Cowboys just don't have the speed to make the most of those holes. I will say this, Zeke can still get 7 yards if you give him a little room.

They need a real WR2. Cooks is not the same guy he was 4 years ago. I can't believe I am saying this but I'd rather see Turpin play than Cooks at this point. I still want to see Flournoy get some chances.

The refs helped the Cowboys a couple of times last night. The facemask call on the Giants should have been on the Cowboys and would have put the Giants at the Cowboys 22 with a first and 10. That was the Giants first drive and could have been a momentum builder for them. I was shocked when the Giants did not protest that call much. The other gift was picking up the flag on Dowdle's TD. The call was Beebe was downfield on the play. When I saw the replay it looked to me like he was. Not sure why they picked up the flag. Could be Beebe wasn't blocking anyone but it looked like it could have been a penalty to me.

Andrew Booth is apparently another one of those preseason flashes. Looked great in preseason but he gets a chance in a game and was terribly outmatched.

The refs were awful last night. I thought the fumble by the Giants was a fumble. Sure he knee went down but it looked like the ball was coming loose before that. The replay showed the ball was on his arm making it look like he had it but it looked to me like it was not under his control.

Parsons getting hurt is huge. If he misses 3 weeks as his brother claims, the defense is in trouble. The pass rush is non-existent. Jones had so much time last night even he looked good. The Cowboys usually smother him when they play the Giants.

I am all for giving the ball to CeeDee, but those end around plays are good maybe once a game or two games. Then they fool no one. He's their only deep threat why not give him a couple of deep balls.

Which reminds me. The Cowboys throwing 3 yard passes, followed by 2 yard runs is exhausting. I think MM doesn't like to go deep because it is such a low percentage play, but once in a while they have to get away from the outs and curls. Save those for the red zone. Throw some more slants and crossing routes. Hit guys on the run. Make some chunk plays.

exciter

Reaction score

Defense

Offense

Special Teams

Kneeland play was a designed run so unless they change the box score it was TFL… still a nice play!

75boyz

Reaction score
A win is a win is a win.
Hard to win in the NFL.
Now with that said, the game resembled a pre season game with both teams continually failing to execute basic/vanilla offensive and defensive game plans.
The FA losses of Dorance Armstrong, Dante Fowler and Sam Williams has totally messed up our pass rush. Nobody has stepped up in their absences.

And the Cowboy penalties continue as well. We basically looked like the taller of the 2 midgets in the room last night to put it bluntly.
But as they say...
Its on to Pittsburgh.

With 10 days to prepare.
Cowboys!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hey why not over two games let Thomas play his role and if it doesn't work out put Donovan Wilson back in but right now he would have to understand he cost us a bunch of first downs last night he's trying to play hero ball you know he's not breaking down he's diving at people's feet he's trying to make the big blow up hit you know that's A&M crap lol Hookem LOL

I mean you do realize ****** it's played pretty well last night and then bell was out and Donovan Wilson just over extended on every play he was out of position and he's not doing what safety is supposed to do to help the young guys opposite of digs to me he's a weak spot right now and we have Thomas ,Thomas is a pretty good player right if he's not then take him back out but I'd like to see Thomas get the starting job next week. Bell should be back as well.
I think they need to at the very least need to rotate the position. Let's see if either Thomas or Bell can do a better job.