Thoughts/Opinions about last night's win-where is the pass rush?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The defense not forcing a punt in the first half is a warning sign. Against a better offense the Cowboys could have been down 28-14 at the half. They tightened things up a little bit in the second half but I'd like to see them play a little tougher from the start.

Too many penalties. They fell for the hard count twice.

Too many missed tackles again. Poor technique. Wilson missed that tackle in the backfield to get the defense off the field. Parsons hit the RB in the backfield too and let himself get carried for 4 yards.

Guyton is a problem and they have to give him help. But Steele is only marginally better. Guyton is getting killed on those inside moves. He needs to work on that a lot.

I thought there were some decent holes for the RBs last night. The Cowboys just don't have the speed to make the most of those holes. I will say this, Zeke can still get 7 yards if you give him a little room.

They need a real WR2. Cooks is not the same guy he was 4 years ago. I can't believe I am saying this but I'd rather see Turpin play than Cooks at this point. I still want to see Flournoy get some chances.

The refs helped the Cowboys a couple of times last night. The facemask call on the Giants should have been on the Cowboys and would have put the Giants at the Cowboys 22 with a first and 10. That was the Giants first drive and could have been a momentum builder for them. I was shocked when the Giants did not protest that call much. The other gift was picking up the flag on Dowdle's TD. The call was Beebe was downfield on the play. When I saw the replay it looked to me like he was. Not sure why they picked up the flag. Could be Beebe wasn't blocking anyone but it looked like it could have been a penalty to me.

Andrew Booth is apparently another one of those preseason flashes. Looked great in preseason but he gets a chance in a game and was terribly outmatched.

The refs were awful last night. I thought the fumble by the Giants was a fumble. Sure he knee went down but it looked like the ball was coming loose before that. The replay showed the ball was on his arm making it look like he had it but it looked to me like it was not under his control.

Parsons getting hurt is huge. If he misses 3 weeks as his brother claims, the defense is in trouble. The pass rush is non-existent. Jones had so much time last night even he looked good. The Cowboys usually smother him when they play the Giants.

I am all for giving the ball to CeeDee, but those end around plays are good maybe once a game or two games. Then they fool no one. He's their only deep threat why not give him a couple of deep balls.

Which reminds me. The Cowboys throwing 3 yard passes, followed by 2 yard runs is exhausting. I think MM doesn't like to go deep because it is such a low percentage play, but once in a while they have to get away from the outs and curls. Save those for the red zone. Throw some more slants and crossing routes. Hit guys on the run. Make some chunk plays.
-Clearly the offense is lacking a true #2 receiver and a legitimate, starting running back. They will get exposed being so Lamb/Ferguson reliant.
-Defensively, they really have a major issue at the corner spot due to injury, have to protect whomever is out there. This also affects how aggressive Zimmer can be.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The giants oline isn't bad... plus we were dealing with little thing all night. Short week as well, i'm more encouraged by the run d.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-Clearly the offense is lacking a true #2 receiver and a legitimate, starting running back. They will get exposed being so Lamb/Ferguson reliant.
they really have a major issue at the corner spot due to injury, have to protect whomever is out there. This also affects how aggressive Zimmer can be.
Cooks mob is about to start hitting you with the excuses stick. "Dak doesnt look his way when he is covered which is usually " "McCarthy doesnt scheme CB's tripping and falling so Cooks can get open

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cooks mob is about to start hitting you with the excuses stick. "Dak doesnt look his way when he is covered which is usually " "McCarthy doesnt scheme CB's tripping and falling so Cooks can get open
Give you credit, you for the 1st to question his play last yr.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Before many say the Cowboys suck and they looked terrible against a bad team, we all have to remember most teams who travel on this Thursday schedule tend to have ugly performances. Add in the fact that this Cowboy team has never done this, they did what they had to and came home with a victory. Yes, a ton to clean up and some injury concerns, but most had them 2-2 at this point when the schedule originally came out.

Defense

-Tremendous job stopping the run this week, the Giants averaged less then 2 yards a carry. Keep in mind the Giants ran the ball well the prior week against a good Browns run defense. This is a step in the right direction. Thought our linebackers played well, especially Overshown.
-Donovan Wilson continues to struggle as a tackler. Had a 4th down stop and couldn't finish, saw several other missed tackles as well. I really would like to see Bell see some snaps.
-Liked what I saw from Kneeland, he flashed, had his 1st sack and even made a huge tackle on special teams.
-Nabers is a real good talent, but didn't see much damage against our best corner in Diggs, he was abusing the other corner opposite him, where Zimmer had to bench Booth. We really need to get healthy fast at the position.
-Where has the pass rush gone? We normally kill the Giants OL, yet Daniel Jones rarely saw any pressure at all, even when we were fully healthy. Fully understand he was getting the ball out quickly, but did take several deep shots. Lack of pass rush is the reason why this game was so close.

Offense

-Still cannot run the football with any consistency. When they do get a nice run, it is usually cause of a penalty.
-What to do with Tyler Guyton? He either is holding on every play or getting beaten inside. Blows my mind why they do not offer him help. Do you live with his growing pains or sit him on the bench until he is ready? He is one of the main reasons why drives stall.
-Is it time to demote Brandin Cooks? He isn't giving the team much of anything these days. Why not give Tolbert a chance and see what he can do with a larger role?
-Give Dak credit, very hard to get in rhythm when the other team is possessing the ball so much. Thought he played well.

Special Teams

-Our kicker is human, missed an important kick, but it didn't cost us the game. However, he did nail a 60 yarder which certainly makes up for one miss.
Good points but you left off Mazi who played his best game and was the key reason the Giants only averaged 1.1 per rush. The kid is getting better and will be tested greatly before the bye. By the end of this 6 game gauntlet we will have either a diamond or coal as a player.
Guyton is going through growing pains. He is the reason why we don’t throw the ball deep that much. You are 100% right that we need to help him in pass protection. Guyton started his gauntlet during week 1 and it will continue all season. I think he is a player that by the end of the season he will be one of the best left tackles in football but he has to make it through the night for the better days. Pittsburgh scares the mess out of me. I hope Dak does not get hurt.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Before many say the Cowboys suck and they looked terrible against a bad team, we all have to remember most teams who travel on this Thursday schedule tend to have ugly performances. Add in the fact that this Cowboy team has never done this, they did what they had to and came home with a victory. Yes, a ton to clean up and some injury concerns, but most had them 2-2 at this point when the schedule originally came out.

Defense

-Tremendous job stopping the run this week, the Giants averaged less then 2 yards a carry. Keep in mind the Giants ran the ball well the prior week against a good Browns run defense. This is a step in the right direction. Thought our linebackers played well, especially Overshown.
-Donovan Wilson continues to struggle as a tackler. Had a 4th down stop and couldn't finish, saw several other missed tackles as well. I really would like to see Bell see some snaps.
-Liked what I saw from Kneeland, he flashed, had his 1st sack and even made a huge tackle on special teams.
-Nabers is a real good talent, but didn't see much damage against our best corner in Diggs, he was abusing the other corner opposite him, where Zimmer had to bench Booth. We really need to get healthy fast at the position.
-Where has the pass rush gone? We normally kill the Giants OL, yet Daniel Jones rarely saw any pressure at all, even when we were fully healthy. Fully understand he was getting the ball out quickly, but did take several deep shots. Lack of pass rush is the reason why this game was so close.

Offense

-Still cannot run the football with any consistency. When they do get a nice run, it is usually cause of a penalty.
-What to do with Tyler Guyton? He either is holding on every play or getting beaten inside. Blows my mind why they do not offer him help. Do you live with his growing pains or sit him on the bench until he is ready? He is one of the main reasons why drives stall.
-Is it time to demote Brandin Cooks? He isn't giving the team much of anything these days. Why not give Tolbert a chance and see what he can do with a larger role?
-Give Dak credit, very hard to get in rhythm when the other team is possessing the ball so much. Thought he played well.

Special Teams

-Our kicker is human, missed an important kick, but it didn't cost us the game. However, he did nail a 60 yarder which certainly makes up for one miss.
I guess when you finally commit to stoping the run, it has a negative effect on your pass rush.