CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about the 49ers!

zerofill

Reaction score
Have to get Purdy uncomfortable. We do that we have a chance. The kid doesn't seem to get rattled though.

Otto65

Reaction score
49ers execute their blocks. Number 11 blocks well downfield as does number 85. Cowboys need to be physical and play through the whistle. Cowboys need to send a physical message in this game. Refs will do some home cooking. But, Cowboys pull out the win late.

Praxit

Reaction score
...what I'm seeing, more than disgestin. How people are underestimating how good Dallas D is.

All the talk is about Miners this or that. Now we throw in offense wrinkle of MM/Shotty.

We got them, right where we want them.

quickccc

Reaction score
I’ll rate Niners # 1 ..and Philly #2, As the two measuring stick for how we match up to, and Niners especially since they have single handedly knocked us outta playoffs 2 back to back years !
and vs two different starting QBs at that !

- Will we be destroyed vs the run, ala Deebo in ‘21 playoff game .. or will we hold our own vs McCaffrey as we did in 1st half of ‘22 playoff game ?

- And then there’s the offense, our Achilles heel the past 2 outings vs Niners. We could not get our run game going, Dak had his struggles (again) and Niners eventuallly got the best of us in the trenches.

- Yes we should be in much better shape and competitive with addition of Cooks, return of Gallup in better shape, and Tolbert seems much improved. But Schultz was a chain mover with the knack in the red zone. That’s a hurt right now.

75boyz

Reaction score
Team physicality. And can Big Mac and Dak earn their paychecks on a big stage again.

Sums it up for me.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Cowboys defense has given up 23 and 19 points the last two outings against the 49ers, who needed multiple turnovers to get that many. Despite their bevy of explosive skill players, the Cowboys defense has held them down. The problem has been the Cowboys offense. Clearly, McCarthy felt the solution there was schematic.

catiii

Reaction score
Really think the wco was brought in to counter this defensive scheme that both the 49ers/Eagles employ. Dak has to stay patent and just take what is given and stay balanced. When the 49ers are able to rush 4 and play extra men in coverage, it becomes very difficult to throw the football with any success. It forces the QB to make throws in tight windows, which leads to turnovers.
Dak needs to stop being afraid to run through gaping holes for the 1st down.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I want Purdy exposed. We were *this* close to doing it last year...but then...you know what happened.

People are talking about him like he's Joe Montana. He's on a stacked team, has one of the greatest dual threats around in his backfield and he's not played from behind much.

I want him EXPOSED.

rambo2

Reaction score
They are a good team, but McCaffrey and Deebo take too many hits. They will be knocked out at some point.

catiii

Reaction score
This maybe coming from the coaching staff, not to run and risk injury.
I'm sure it is. They tried to "coach scrambling out" of Tony too. Standing in the pocket instead of taking off got him hurt more often than running for it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is a stat about the Dallas defense. They only allowed 1 second half score this season, that was in the 4th quarter against Arizona. A TD.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm sure it is. They tried to "coach scrambling out" of Tony too. Standing in the pocket instead of taking off got him hurt more often than running for it.
Got to Al’s remember it’s a long season n and they need a healthy starter

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is the game we all circled when the schedule came out, believe the same can be said about the Cowboy players. 49ers have eliminated the Cowboys in back to back seasons in the playoffs. This team is loaded top to bottom and extremely well coached. Right now they are the Super Bowl favorites. No moral victories, win this tough game on the road and they become legitimate contenders!

Offense

-Dak and the offense has struggled against this scheme since that Denver blowout loss, it's that Fangio shell zone coverage that takes away the middle of the field. The Cowboys have faced a similar scheme already twice this season with some success against the Jets and the Cardinals, they are going to also face the Eagles and Dolphins who play a similar scheme. How do you beat it? It's that boring Jets game plan, take what is given, go on long time consuming drives that result in points. Run the football against light boxes and force their defense to make changes. Keep the 49er explosive offense off the field!!

-The Cowboys have struggled running the football against this front, but even if they aren't getting early success, they must stay with it. Using the short passes as and extension of the run could also tire out a defense. If the 49ers make the Cowboy offense one dimensional, it will be very difficult consistently driving the football.

-Ball security is extremely important. Cannot give this team easy scores, force them to drive the entire field against our defense. Do not try long FG's. Punting isn't a bad thing over giving them great field position.

-Must take shots down the field to keep them from sitting on the shorter routes.

-Best front 7 in football, the new WCO should be able to hold up better, but still Dak has to have that internal clock and get the ball out quickly. Tackles are going to have their struggles, but they need their backs/TE;s to assist in protect, even if it is chipping the defender.

Defense

-The 49ers offensive scheme is all based off their running back McCaffrey. Must tackle well and handle the misdirection their HC loves to use. Lve and our linebackers must play discipline as Purdy loves to use play action and hit over the middle passes when the linebacker is out of position. This might be a game where you use Lewis like the Saints game a few years ago to cover Alvin Kamara. Muku might be better suited to play more slot this game due to the size of the receivers.

-49ers generate all their big plays with yac. They will try to bully you in space, have to match their physicality and tackle well. Purdy struggles with deep ball accuracy, take away the short passing game.

-Purdy is much better then many realize, he has won I think 13 straight regular season games. He makes excellent decisions where to go with the football, but sometimes he likes to thread the needle with tight passes. Aiyuk is actually his favorite target, especially with those back side throws. Kittles is more of the stick mover, Deebo will see some carries, wr screens and quick slants. Purdy does an excellent job buying time in the pocket and can use his legs to pick up 1st downs. Cowboy defense must not create big openings or they will get hurt with those QB runs that extend drives.

-The only weakness that I see on paper is their right side of their OL. They decided to let their RT go in fa, this is where the Cowboys lineman need to attack, stay away from Trent Williams on the other side, where many still think he is the best in the business.

-Stay away from the blitz, Giants tried to blitz him on almost every snap and they got killed in yards after catch. Force Purdy to drive the entire field and make multiple 1st downs.

Special Teams

-Just like last week, the 49ers drafted a kicker that we showed interest with in Moody, he has yet to miss a kick.

-Cowboys have to win the field possession battle this week as yards are going to be tough sledding.
these two teams are good. our offense will ahve some success and some failures. that's what happens when you play against good defenses. the key is to stay patient. I think MM has made a point of staying with the run, even if we are not averaging high. somebody posted it a while back, its not necessarily about total yards, or average, but how many rushes. these zone defenses force yout to dink and dunk your way down the field, not give up the big play in hopes of you making mistakes. 3rd down conversions are big. if we find early success with the dink and dunk, then it forces the defense to get closer to LOS and that opens up the big plays down field and one on one opportunities that we have to cash in.

their offense as you said, does run through McCaffrey. he is fantastic. I do expect to see a lot of misdirection as that's one way to counter a speedy defense. discipline on run defense is key. if we stay disciplined, then we can contain mccaffrey. I expect the defense to win some and give up some longer runs, as due to speed sometimes they will over run the play. Safties are key in this game.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Good post, OP.

I believe the key for the Cowboys defense is that they can't let CMC beat them. And second, they have to contain Debo's YAC. Basically, make Purdy and Aiyuk beat them. Yes, Purdy's undefeated, but let's make him make all the throws. I'd crowd the line of scrimmage on early downs, and San Fran is STILL going to run, inside, outside, doesn't matter. So, they need to stop the run.

Shanahan is a solid OC, so I think San Fran may call a lot of play action plays early, knowing that the Cowboys will be geared up to stop the run, so the secondary will have to play well, early.

On offense, Dak and the receivers will have to have a great game in the 1st half. San Fran's going to shut down the run early, until the Cowboys prove they can pass the ball effectively, downfield. So the Cowboys should also call a lot of play action early, and then run the ball more in the 2nd half. Pass to set up the run, though it should come with lots of play action. Double team or chip Bosa on most play action passes, else he alone will kill drives with sacks.

The Cowboys need to start strong, because it will be hard to comeback on the road in San Fran...especially if San Fran knows the opponent has to pass. So, the 1st quarter is key. Open up the playbook early, this isn't one of those games when you want to save most of your creative plays for the 2nd half. Run the ball with a lead in the 2nd half...in the first half, the Cowboys need get the lead (and even a 3-point lead matters, so when in doubt, KICK THE FG).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good post, OP.

I believe the key for the Cowboys defense is that they can't let CMC beat them. And second, they have to contain Debo's YAC. Basically, make Purdy and Aiyuk beat them. Yes, Purdy's undefeated, but let's make him make all the throws. I'd crowd the line of scrimmage on early downs, and San Fran is STILL going to run, inside, outside, doesn't matter. So, they need to stop the run.

Shanahan is a solid OC, so I think San Fran may call a lot of play action plays early, knowing that the Cowboys will be geared up to stop the run, so the secondary will have to play well, early.

On offense, Dak and the receivers will have to have a great game in the 1st half. San Fran's going to shut down the run early, until the Cowboys prove they can pass the ball effectively, downfield. So the Cowboys should also call a lot of play action early, and then run the ball more in the 2nd half. Pass to set up the run, though it should come with lots of play action. Double team or chip Bosa on most play action passes, else he alone will kill drives with sacks.

The Cowboys need to start strong, because it will be hard to comeback on the road in San Fran...especially if San Fran knows the opponent has to pass. So, the 1st quarter is key. Open up the playbook early, this isn't one of those games when you want to save most of your creative plays for the 2nd half. Run the ball with a lead in the 2nd half...in the first half, the Cowboys need get the lead (and even a 3-point lead matters, so when in doubt, KICK THE FG).
Survive the 1st quarter and battle to the end