Tiger Woods' Father Passes Away at 74

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tiger Woods' father, Earl, dies at age 74

FOXSports.com
Posted: 3 minutes ago

Tiger Woods' father Earl died Wednesday, losing his long battle with cancer at age 74.

"I'm very saddened to share the news of my father's passing at home early this morning," Tiger Woods stated in a posting on his official website. "My dad was my best friend and greatest role model, and I will miss him deeply.

"I'm overwhelmed when I think of all of the great things he accomplished in his life. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend. I wouldn't be where I am today without him, and I'm honored to continue his legacy of sharing and caring. Thank you to all who are sending condolences to my family and our Foundation. We are truly blessed to have so many who care during this difficult time."

"All of us at the PGA Tour are very saddened to learn of the passing of Tiger Woods' father, Earl," PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement. "Our hearts and deepest sympathies go out to Tiger and his family during this very sad time.

"Earl Woods will always be remembered for the tremendous way in which he and Tiger's mother, Kultida, provided Tiger with every opportunity to develop the physical and mental qualities that enabled Tiger to become the world's best golfer and an outstanding representative of the game and its values."

The elder Woods was initially diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1998, but suffered a relapse in 2004 and has been physically unable to attend tournaments since Tiger's victory in the 2004 Target World Challenge.

The elder Woods' failing health impacted Tiger's schedule twice this season. Woods skipped the season-opening Mercedes Championship, resulting in his longest non-injury related hiatus from the sport since turning pro in 1996, in order to spend time with his ailing father.

Then after finishing tied for third at the Masters, Tiger said he possibly would not play again until the U.S. Open in June so he could be with his dad.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
My prayers and best wishes go out to Tiger Woods.

He is a class act, ... and has always honored his father and mother.

I admire that.