Tiger Woods turns down 700-800 million to join LIV golf

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh the Saudis aren't gonna pull the plug in a year or two but they could revisit where this is heading in 3-4 years. As I said, the LIV Golf COO admitted in an interview that they need to act like a real tour at some point with real sponsors and some sort of broadcast deal. He wouldn't be saying that if the Saudis were gonna just throw hundreds of millions at the tour each year for eternity.

Coup after coup? They pulled a small handful of bigger names - Johnson, Koepka, DeChambeau and some aging guys like Mickelson and Garcia looking to cash those last big checks. But the vast majority of the Top 20 in golf, Top 30 are still with the PGA Tour. Even if Cam Smith bolts, which would be a coup for sure, the majority of the world's best players are still with the PGA, not LIV. And as I said, if LIV doesn't peel off a bunch of top names after the Tour Championship, it seems unlikely they will be able to do it in the future as the PGA begins to pay more, etc.

And the Masters could follow the PGA Championship. In the lawsuit filed by Mickelson and others, they claimed that Masters officials tried to talk golfers out of joining LIV. So if that's true, it could be a sign the Masters might be leaning towards limiting LIV golfers. Further, the other big factor here is Official World Golf Rankings. If LIV doesn't quality for OGWR points, it might be tough for some of the LIV golfers to even qualify for the majors.

Cam Smith is bolting. They kicked him out of the Fed Ex cup competition for a reason. It may not be "official" but its happening. Mickelson, Garcia, Kopka, Dechambeau, Dustin Johnson....... these represent a huge chunk of the PGA's star power. Phil and Garcia might not be at their peak, but they draw viewers. There is no question LIV golf is having a huge impact on the PGA Tour. Thats why you have these player summits and all this new money being thrown at players by the tour.

The question is why can't LIV land a TV deal? It might be that the PGA Tour is having them blackballed which could result in a huge anti-trust judgement. It seems odd that an event with so many famous golfers can't land a TV deal. The saudis will throw money at it until they do.

The ultimate solution is obvious. Drop the suspensions and let players choose where they want to play any given week. The strong arming and intimidation didn't work and its not going to work.

Sydla

Reaction score
Cam Smith is bolting. They kicked him out of the Fed Ex cup competition for a reason. It may not be "official" but its happening. Mickelson, Garcia, Kopka, Dechambeau, Dustin Johnson....... these represent a huge chunk of the PGA's star power. Phil and Garcia might not be at their peak, but they draw viewers. There is no question LIV golf is having a huge impact on the PGA Tour. Thats why you have these player summits and all this new money being thrown at players by the tour.

The question is why can't LIV land a TV deal? It might be that the PGA Tour is having them blackballed which could result in a huge anti-trust judgement. It seems odd that an event with so many famous golfers can't land a TV deal. The saudis will throw money at it until they do.

The ultimate solution is obvious. Drop the suspensions and let players choose where they want to play any given week. The strong arming and intimidation didn't work and its not going to work.

They kicked Cam Smith out of the BMW but are letting him play in the Tour Championship? LOL, yeah that makes sense. Why not quietly kick him out of both then? But yes, he's probably bolting. Matsuyama looks like a potential jump as well.

The reason why LIV can't get a TV deal is obvious. One, they don't have as much star power as you claim. They will need more players beyond a small handful for a major network to pick them up. Two, the "people" involved likely aren't good for PR purposes for the networks (it's not just the Saudis here). Three, it's not really a made for TV type of product - only 54 holes (so some events end on a Saturday whereas the networks like the Saturday - Sunday late afternoon time slots). Four, it only has a niche audience right now. Ticket sales for events were dismal and their streaming numbers on YouTube and their website were really low. Maybe that changes in the future but I suspect they need more than Cam Smith to get Americans more likely to tune in.

There's no question the PGA has hamfisted thing for sure. But acting like LIV is just this innocent little tour trying to carve out a niche here is laughable. Norman is a POS and a snake and he's not trying to work with the PGA, despite what he claims. He's trying to cut them off at the knees. He's been trying to stick it to the tour since the 90s when he tried to start some sort of world tour and the PGA and other tours essentially killed it.

JustChip

Reaction score
That’s an incredible amount of money to turn down . From pure economics can’t understand his thinking , surely on the PGA the days of Tiger dominance are over .
Money isn’t an issue for Tiger. Neither is eclipsing Jack’s majors count. Ir’s legacy at this point. I’m glad he’s not going to the LIV. I was always a big Mickelson fan, but his bolt to the LIV sits very sour with me.

RonWashington

Reaction score
You have so many years to make a living earn as much as you can . It’s like the days of Joe Namath signing for what was back then big money with the AFL or Julius Erving signing with the ABA or Herschel Walker going with the NJ Generals. If your an ace golfer and LIV throws the money at you far be it for me to tell you how to pay your bills .

Last edited by a moderator:

John813

Reaction score
I have issues with the Saudi's but there is an overreaction to Saudi's and their blood money narrative. Also find it funny how the PGA tour is reacting to players wanting to play in LIV
Like other countries, even this country, doesn't have blood on their hands.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Money isn’t an issue for Tiger. Neither is eclipsing Jack’s majors count. Ir’s legacy at this point. I’m glad he’s not going to the LIV. I was always a big Mickelson fan, but his bolt to the LIV sits very sour with me.
Me too! Never liked Woods. Many episodes sit sour w/me pertaining to him. Puts on a big act in public & behind the scenes he needs to grow up. Retire already!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They kicked Cam Smith out of the BMW but are letting him play in the Tour Championship? LOL, yeah that makes sense. Why not quietly kick him out of both then? But yes, he's probably bolting. Matsuyama looks like a potential jump as well.

The reason why LIV can't get a TV deal is obvious. One, they don't have as much star power as you claim. They will need more players beyond a small handful for a major network to pick them up. Two, the "people" involved likely aren't good for PR purposes for the networks (it's not just the Saudis here). Three, it's not really a made for TV type of product - only 54 holes (so some events end on a Saturday whereas the networks like the Saturday - Sunday late afternoon time slots). Four, it only has a niche audience right now. Ticket sales for events were dismal and their streaming numbers on YouTube and their website were really low. Maybe that changes in the future but I suspect they need more than Cam Smith to get Americans more likely to tune in.

There's no question the PGA has hamfisted thing for sure. But acting like LIV is just this innocent little tour trying to carve out a niche here is laughable. Norman is a POS and a snake and he's not trying to work with the PGA, despite what he claims. He's trying to cut them off at the knees. He's been trying to stick it to the tour since the 90s when he tried to start some sort of world tour and the PGA and other tours essentially killed it.

The LIV tournament in Boston was as compelling as any non-major tournament on the PGA tour. A TV deal is only a matter of time. Norman has an axe to grind b/c he saw how the PGA tour had become this stuffy, fat on itself country club that was no longer working in the interest of the players to maximize income for them. Norman has every right as does anybody else to try and launch a business. If he can do golf better than the PGA tour, which he is doing, then all credit to him.

The LIV tour is a reaction to the PGA's own arrogance. If they paid and treated the players fairly, there would have been no reason for the players to jump ship. Previous to LIV, the PGA only had to be better than the European tour. Now they have competition, and have finally responded with big money for players to reward guys like Rory, JT, and Colin for staying and make sure the guys who pay their dues earning their tour card can afford to lifestyle of a full time golfer. But that money never would have materialized were it not for LIV. Even if it ultimately fails, the players bank accounts owe it a debt of gratitude.

terra

Reaction score
I have issues with the Saudi's but there is an overreaction to Saudi's and their blood money narrative. Also find it funny how the PGA tour is reacting to players wanting to play in LIV
Like other countries, even this country, doesn't have blood on their hands.
I notice all those making noise about the Saudi Blood Money are silent about the Chinese Blood Money and how they pretty much own the NBA: and Lebron James and company are very silent

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I notice all those making noise about the Saudi Blood Money are silent about the Chinese Blood Money and how they pretty much own the NBA: and Lebron James and company are very silent
Yep. Lots of hypocrites around these parts.

China and their NBA league are as bad as it gets.