Tigers return to major prominence

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His return to major relevance after a five-year layoff that won’t soon be forgotten, setting the stage for potentially one of the great Sundays in the 147-year history of this tournament.

The end result T-6 finish – his best at a major since the 2013 Masters – will hold our complete attention until he gives it another major go in the PGA Championship at Bellerive. Until he tries again.

That’s really what this comeback has always been about, and it’s way more compelling to watch someone put it all on the line after they’ve tried and failed.

There are a lot of questions now and many will go unanswered, but when he went full recoil out of a nasty fairway bunker on 10 to save par and maintain the outright lead it was old-school Tiger all the way.

We’ve all wondered how old school Woods would do against new school Tour players when it really counted and we got our first taste at Carnoustie. That was the best part of it all. The chance for a playoff featuring Woods and Jordan Spieth or Rory McIlroy was so good, and it was legitimately on the table.

Further down on the list of significance but big for Woods nonetheless was the fact that he qualified for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational at Firestone Country Club. He’s won eight times there already and got in on the number after moving to No. 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking, ensuring a chance at No. 9 before the event leaves Firestone in 2019.

For a bit of perspective, he was No. 69 in the world entering Carnoustie. He was No. 668 when he began this comeback at the Hero World Challenge in December.

We still don’t know if he’ll eventually get to major No. 15, but it’s been incredible to watch him try.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I do not believe he has. 1 tournament will not convince. The missed birdie put on 18 is why I believe him to be just average tour golfer. The old tiger would have buried that shot putting pressure on Molinaro...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not believe he has. 1 tournament will not convince. The missed birdie put on 18 is why I believe him to be just average tour golfer. The old tiger would have buried that shot putting pressure on Molinaro...
Return to relevance doesnt mean return to “old” Tiger.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sport needs its star back. I thought Spieth would take the mantle or Rory or Day or Johnson..........none of them can string together much consistency from year to year. What made Tiger great in his prime was that he was always in the hunt year after year , and it was a rare tourney that he didn't have a shot to win on Sunday. He didn't close out every tourney even when he was 26. I think Phil in his prime was better than any of todays young guns.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sport needs its star back. I thought Spieth would take the mantle or Rory or Day or Johnson..........none of them can string together much consistency from year to year. What made Tiger great in his prime was that he was always in the hunt year after year , and it was a rare tourney that he didn't have a shot to win on Sunday. He didn't close out every tourney even when he was 26. I think Phil in his prime was better than any of todays young guns.

Agreed that the business doesn't have that one person right now that everyone is talking about.

Racing is in the same boat.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Agreed that the business doesn't have that one person right now that everyone is talking about.

Racing is in the same boat.
NASCAR/Indy?

I was a Jeff Gordon NUT in the late 90s. Adored Unser Jr, too.

Or did you mean horse racing, and you're still searching for another Secretariat? :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I doubt he will reach the level he displayed in his prime however I would not be shocked to see him challenge for world ranking 1 within the next year. He has had a long layoff and is just getting back to playing at a high level. I think Tiger will put it all together (Driving, Irons, chipping and putting)

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Not as familiar with Indy, but NASCAR is getting its teeth bashed in.

And horse racing is also depressed.

NASCAR died for me when Adam Petty died. I was a huge Richard Petty fan growing up and Adam was supposed to be the next Richard Petty of the family.

He was going to be a good one. Even his mom said that she always worried when Kyle Petty was in a race but never worried about Adam because he was so good.

I pretty much lost interest after he died.

Horse racing? Don't even get me started on how crooked they are. Some trainers will have a buzzer shoved up a horses ace to shock it during a race so it will run faster. I have more info on horse racing having talked to dozens of people while working at a Race and Sports Book for 4 years and talked to many people who worked at a horse racing track. I'd be here all day though if I went there..

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NASCAR died for me when Adam Petty died. I was a huge Richard Petty fan growing up and Adam was supposed to be the next Richard Petty of the family.

He was going to be a good one. Even his mom said that she always worried when Kyle Petty was in a race but never worried about Adam because he was so good.

I pretty much lost interest after he died.

Horse racing? Don't even get me started on how crooked they are. Some trainers will have a buzzer shoved up a horses ace to shock it during a race so it will run faster. I have more info on horse racing having talked to dozens of people while working at a Race and Sports Book for 4 years and talked to many people who worked at a horse racing track. I'd be here all day though if I went there..
Totally agree about Adam Petty. It is exactly when I started losing interest as well.

T-RO

Reaction score
It’s good for golf that Tiger has some of his game back. But as an older golfer it will be hard for him to win. I expect a top 30 finish at the PGA, but not top 5.

lukin2006

Reaction score
So when are the diehard Woods fans going to admit that Woods is done as contender. 40+ year old athletes are usually in decline. Now take a 40+ year old athlete with multiple back surgeries and lived a hard partying lifestyle ...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So when are the diehard Woods fans going to admit that Woods is done as contender. 40+ year old athletes are usually in decline. Now take a 40+ year old athlete with multiple back surgeries and lived a hard partying lifestyle ...
He’s not a serious contender and will never return to his once dominant force but he just finished 6th in a major actually having the lead on Sunday down the stretch and finished 2nd in another tourney this year. He’s gone from about 600 + ranked to about 50th. Not bad after what he’s been thru.

Anytime he’s in the mix it’s going to be newsworthy because of his historical significance.

It was similar when Jack was in contention in his declining years.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I’m not a diehard Tiger fan. I’m a diehard fan of golf. Tigers historical significance will always be headline news.

Much like Tom Watson was at 68 shooting his age at Senior Open or leading the British Open going to final hole at age 59.

One of the greatest Majors ever was 1986 Masters when Jack made his incredible run on back nine to win his 18th major at age 46. That’s the kind of day or tournament Tiger is still capable of.

Just because we embrace these great legends in their declining years doesn’t mean we don’t support these great young talents of today.

Last edited: