Tight Ends after Preseason Game 1

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will start by saying I realize one preseason game is far from definitive, but these are my observations ...

Jarwin - I like the agility he showed and the smooth, almost effortless way the catches the football. Seemed very smooth in and out of his breaks and making cuts and running after the catch. It's easy to see why the Cowboys like him.

Swaim - Did he even play? I didn't notice him.

Rico - I feel Rico is on the bubble, but at least the few times I made a point of watching him block (goal line situation) he looked good. Since I didn't focus on watching him block more than that I can't say how representative that is of his overall blocking ability, but it did at least suggest he has the basic ability.

Schultz - I didn't notice him much. He looked reasonable on his one catch, but that isn't much to go by. He did get blown up blocking on one play at the goal line, but it's hard to know if that was a fluke or not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Rico and Shultz are gonna be showcased in the second game. They used Swaim and Jarwin this game.

Did they throw a pass to Swaim? I didn't notice it, although I could have missed it. If they did he didn't catch any.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz got a good block on Rod Smith's big run.

Thanks for pointing that out. I went into the game last night with the thought that I was going to try and pay attention to the TE's, but I didn't really follow through most of the time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I had no idea Schultz played that much. I wish I had paid more attention.
I didn’t either. I saw him make the 1 catch. I need to learn there numbers so I know who they are on the field. Kept looking for ole 82z

Batman1980

Reaction score
I didn’t either. I saw him make the 1 catch. I need to learn there numbers so I know who they are on the field. Kept looking for ole 82z

Season hasn't started yet and I still can't believe he won't be out there. Will be odd not seeing #9, 82 or 88 in the huddle.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be completely shocked if Swaim didn't make the team because they couldn't pass up the potential of Schultz and Gathers. Jarwin is the only TE I'm truly positive will make the team.

I understand your point, but I think Swaim will make the team simply because he is the one with at least some regular season experience. But if they decide to only keep 3, who knows? I agree that Jarwin is the safest.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think there were probably times I saw Schultz and assumed it was Jarwin.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I think there were probably times I saw Schultz and assumed it was Jarwin.

I still don't know who any of them are, thought 80 was Schultz at first. Not the season yet, I'll learn numbers once it matters.

cowboyec

Reaction score
liked Jarwin.
I saw Schultz in college...want to see him used more.
I just feel like Jarwin and Shultz will handle their business...just a gutt feeling tho.
maynot be all-pro but just solid...which you can win with.
I saw enuff of Jarwin last night that I want to see him used more.
still alot of unknowns tho.
we'll see.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be completely shocked if Swaim didn't make the team because they couldn't pass up the potential of Schultz and Gathers. Jarwin is the only TE I'm truly positive will make the team.
The Cowboys like Swaim too much for that. Rico goes to PS. Jarwin, Swaim and Schultz make the 53.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still don't know who any of them are, thought 80 was Schultz at first. Not the season yet, I'll learn numbers once it matters.

80 was Rico wasn't it? If so, the skin tone is the giveaway.

Batman1980

Reaction score
You're overestimating how closely I watched the game after Dak took a seat if you think I noticed skin tone during a brief glimpse. :p I already know who our top 3 TEs are, pretty sure the Cowboys do too. At this point they probably just want Gathers to play his way into trade bait.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're overestimating how closely I watched the game after Dak took a seat if you think I noticed skin tone during a brief glimpse. :p I already know who our top 3 TEs are, pretty sure the Cowboys do too. At this point they probably just want Gathers to play his way into trade bait.

I don't completely reject the idea that Gathers can make the team, but he probably does have the toughest battle. Even if he has somewhat more upside than Schultz, he may also have more downside in that he could be boom or bust. Schultz may well be the safer bet.