Tight ends will present a problem for New York

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The biggest advantage we have going into this game is that New York has a pretty paltry linebacker corps, which will be subject to the 12 formation all night.

Not only will they struggle in coverage against our tight ends, but they're going to struggle to stop the run as well.

Dan Connor is their starting middle linebacker if that helps any create a picture. Imagine Connor covering Hanna and Escobar.

What is their solution? To leave a safety in coverage over the 2nd tight end? That isn't going to help them stop the run. Nor is it really an option with Austin and Bryant on the field.

The Giants will find themselves in quite a conundrum if they can't get to Romo with 4 down linemen. Also expect Murray to catch some passes in the backfield. Would have been devastating for them if we had Dunbar, but Murray still has some potential in that role.

Pick your poison is the name of the game. And that is the real truth to the secret sauce. Most teams don't have athletic enough linebackers to keep up with our tight ends, and you don't have the resources at safety to take away from the goal of handling Austin and Bryant.

Bryant - Cornerback, Safety Deep
Austin - Cornerback, Safety Deep
Witten - Strongside linebacker, single coverage, mismatch
Hanna/Escobar - Middle linebacker, single coverage, mismatch
Murray - Weak side linebacker, all he has to do is make one guy miss. No 8 in the box, he can have a field day if the line blocks well enough for him.
Romo - Simply has to look for the single man coverage, has the ability to bootleg, run against man coverage. All he needs to do is avoid the 4 man pass rush.

And this is only one of the issues...

The Giants never had a great secondary to begin with, and they lost their best player there in Stevie Brown. They were already ill equipped to handle Dez and Miles. I expect other wide receivers to play their part here if their secondary proves that they can't handle things. Williams and Beasley could have significant roles in this game.

dboyz

Reaction score
Good post. I don't know if I'm quite as optimistic, but I agree our 12 package creates some nightmares for defenses especially if Romo has time.

Our 12 offense creates mismatches in the passing game if the defense is in base. I wonder if down the road teams will counter with nickle, in which case we will need to run. And we should be able to run once Waters is available.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dan Connor is their starting middle linebacker if that helps any create a picture. Imagine Connor covering Hanna and Escobar.

Funny, I was thinking this morning of what the biggest surprise would be in this game and decided my vote would be on a big game from James Hanna. I also think the most bandwidth after the game will be the doubters expressing shock that the O Line played pretty well.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been running this 2 TE offense since Parcelles was here, and these so called mismatches have never materialized. Until I see these 2 TE work, it's just lip service, I will reserve judgement. The 3 WR offense the Cowboys run is proven.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Funny, I was thinking this morning of what the biggest surprise would be in this game and decided my vote would be on a big game from James Hanna. I also think the most bandwidth after the game will be the doubters expressing shock that the O Line played pretty well.

I hope we let Hanna play everywhere on the field and cut him loose.