Time for "In Their Prime" or younger FA's on this team?!

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone feels about what to spend the money on in free agency.

I wouldn't mind a veteran or two to fill holes in the short term, but I think this team needs to plug a gap or two in the rosters to replace players we missed on in the drafts of the late 90's and early 2K's.

Even if we have to overpay for a LeCharles Bentley as an example, wouldn't this guy at least solidify a roster spot for 4-5 years with an upside. Sort of like the Wahle vs Rivera debate from last year.

I feel the Cowboys need to strengthen those players that are in their mid to late 20's that are the guys that can help carry a team over the hump. We have a very nice mix of young and old right now, but are kinda lame down the middle in a big way.

If we have to a Runyan or a Fabini can help us not be desperate and continue to develop previous draft picks or new ones without as much risk as in the past, but I still think the team has the money now and future cap room to try and get one of these very rare players that comes up in free agency due to tough circumstances. It's a way of correcting the bad draft of before. Right now the 49ers, Jets, Saints, and surprisingly a few other teams are having to make some really tough choices and are cutting some of the best players on their teams because of cap/financial trouble.

These are the guys you have to pounce on with the big dollars, and then try and get the vet role players (that FB from the Jets maybe?).

Can Julian Petterson play in a 3-4? Is he healthy enough or big enough?

I like Rivera and understand they wanted the veteran proven leadership to get more out of an underachieving Cowboys oline, but if you are gonna pay a guy like him or Ferguson that kind of money in their early and mid 30's, come on, pay an extra million a year for a guy in his mid 20's that comes available and looks just as good, has way less wear and tear, and still is improving!

I'd like to hit on at least one younger free agent that will fill a hole on this team for 4-5 years. An Anthony Henry (except healthier) for this offseason. Two would be even better.

I don't want TO, Lewis, or guys like that. I want the team to keep getting stronger for the now AND long term, otherwise we need to fill the same holes year to year.

Larry

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Time for who improves the team without hurting the salary cap. I don't care about age. Given the same $ I'd rather have a younger guy with more potential than a vet whose best days are behind him. In reality though it's a now league whatever you can do to improve today without sacrificing tomorrow is a good move.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The problem is the good ones under 30 rarely see the market because they're tagged. This free agent market is weak to begin with. So essentially, you're saying give me a lesser quality as long as its younger. The few good ones under 30 that aren't tagged are so sought after that they become overrated and signed to ridiculous contracts well over their true value. Which signing do you think the Vikings are happier with from last offseason ... Darren Sharper or Fred Smoot?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I think sometimes you need a veteran presence, in particular, somebody who's won before. I think the Cowboys need that on defense to help replace Dat.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
First off, contrary to alot of Anit-Parcells people, we had a very young team last year.

Ware, Canty, Spears, James, they should all be even better next year. I really expect the defense to gel out here.

We have alot of talent at RB, and I think Crayton is going to have a break out year. He already was having one, until his injury.

When was the last time we were heading into an off-season where we could count our needs on 1 or 2 hands. Jeeze it feels like forever. Ill say this year was a bit dissapointing, but I'm expecting great things next year.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
IMO, this team has an optimal mixture of veterans and young players as it is. So infusing the roster with more draft picks and key free agents is very important to maintain the balance. We have a very young defense that is only going to get better. That's why it wouldn't hurt to add a guy like Ty Law or Lawyer Malloy/Rodney Harrison (if they become available). Adding a veteran linebacker would be a great move as well.

Now on offense we are definitely a 'veteran unit' led by the likes of Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Glenn, Allen and Rivera. That's why we need to add some speed and youth, particulary at the receiver position. Lecharles Bentley would most certainly be the best possible offseason addition on the oline since hes young and can be the leader for years to come. We have one of the best young tight ends in the game, and two solid young prospects at running back. It should be interesting to see how it all comes together this offseason. :cool:

stiletto

Reaction score
Rivera was the biggest mark on a pretty much stellar offseason last year. He was pretty much the only mistake we made the entire offseason. Henry had he not gotten hurt would've started at the pro-bowl

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
i just want someone who is on the rise really. now if they are 32 and up thats a different story but if they are 30 and on the rise and can contribute at their position for 3-4 years then sure why not

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Replenishing the youth of your team through free agency is not a very economical model. Youth in free agency always comes at a premium price. You are buying Google at $220 a share. Since the best players under 30 are tagged, the ones that are left are usually overrated and overpaid. Just because a player is pretty good and 26 years old does not mean he's a great free agent aquisition if to throw 5 years and a $13 Million signing bonuses at him. Jeremiah Trotter with the Commanders? Fred Smoot with the Vikes? Joey Galloway and the Cowboys?

That doesn't mean you ignore adding young talent to your team, that's what the draft is for. You use the draft to upgrade the overall base of young talent on your team. You fix immediate holes on your team through free agency, and the fewer big signing bonuses you do it with the better . If a player comes at a discount because of age, then you do your homework and see if maybe you can get a deal. That's the Belichick Model, and I think its proven to work pretty well. I think Rodney Harrison is probably the best free agent aquisition in the history of free agency.