Time on IR affect perception of Tank?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Parson played very good but I also think if Cowboys can continue to win games that come Nov we will be glad to have yet another good player back on the roster. What matters to me right now is right now and this season. Cowboys need to have as many quality players as they can get and while Lawrence may not be living up to some peoples expectation it does not change the fact that he is a quality player and having him back in the lineup later in the season only benefits the Cowboys

817Gill

Reaction score
Tank is not a beast at anything other than carrying off Jerry’s money.
Well in the actual real world he’s a beast against the run. I know we don’t like his contract but facts are facts.

If you really don’t believe so I can show you all the metrics but I’m hoping we don’t have to do this song and dance and you’re just commenting on your view of his contract.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well in the actual real world he’s a beast against the run. I know we don’t like his contract but facts are facts.

If you really don’t believe so I can show you all the metrics but I’m hoping we don’t have to do this song and dance and you’re just commenting on your view of his contract.
Tank is not a horrible player. Tank has a bad contract (low value vs production) and he is not a very good pass rusher, at least since he signed his contract.

I think Tank brings value as a run defender but you can pay a really good run defender half of what he is making. He is solid but he’s not a top 20 DE in terms of his overall play. He might not even be in the top half.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
......operative word......"when".
I am not lined up behind the DLaw bashers. I don’t think he has lived up to the contract hype and he’s not as good as he thinks he is. But I’m glad we have him (not factoring in cost) and I enjoy watching him play.

I am defending SLee. When he was healthy, he played at a pro bowl level consistently. I’m glad I got to see him play.

817Gill

Reaction score
Tank is not a horrible player. Tank has a bad contract (low value vs production) and he is not a very good pass rusher, at least since he signed his contract.

I think Tank brings value as a run defender but you can pay a really good run defender half of what he is making. He is solid but he’s not a top 20 DE in terms of his overall play. He might not even be in the top half.
Yeah my whole thing was solely his run defense and acknowledged multiple times his contract is bloated. Just was confused when you seemed to say he wasn’t a dominant run defender when he is.

Cmac

Reaction score
I am not lined up behind the DLaw bashers. I don’t think he has lived up to the contract hype and he’s not as good as he thinks he is. But I’m glad we have him (not factoring in cost) and I enjoy watching him play.

I am defending SLee. When he was healthy, he played at a pro bowl level consistently. I’m glad I got to see him play.
.......operative word again......"when". I liked SLee too when healthy or on the field early on.....he just wore down. No knock on him for that. Just don't understand the same result with different criteria of selective subjectivity when another player gets hurt. All good.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Parsons was playing a new position and arguably played better than Tank has since Tank signed his contract. Armstrong probably also exceeded the level that Tank has been playing, as well today. Will this make the Cowboys rethink Tank’s value?
Parsons was good, but we all got to keep in mind, it was against a backup Tackle.

conner01

Reaction score
I know he’s not the guy we want him to be but his absence in the run game was palpable. He’s an absolute beast when it comes to that.
Contract aside he is a very good DE
He’s very good against the run and he gets more pressure than fans think
Sacks are all fans think about
They react to things they don’t have the full picture of just like if a oline guy gets pushed back they think that’s what happened on every play
His production in sacks doesn’t match his contract but he’s still a very good DE and is an asset

glimmerman

Reaction score
They played their hearts out both games and could easily be 2-0 or 0-2. We need to have us a game we get a good lead and hold it or I will have a heart attack with these mail biters.

cowboyec

Reaction score
nope.
i'd still rather have him than not.
helluva player.
especially in run defense.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Parsons was playing a new position and arguably played better than Tank has since Tank signed his contract. Armstrong probably also exceeded the level that Tank has been playing, as well today. Will this make the Cowboys rethink Tank’s value?
We will to see what happens at the end of the season. Parsons was great but he was going up against a back up offensive tackle that was a turn stile. He got away with like 4 holds on Parsons. I will say this we complain about Zeke and Jaylon’s contract but they never get injured. Tank has been injured with a shoulder or his back since he signed the franchise tag in 2018.

Reaction score
I think they already know Tanks value.

They overpaid him, but are forced to play him because of his contract. Good against the run. Always a step or 2 behind during the pass rush. A big mouth on social media with his Hot Boyz garbage, etc. Not worth $21M a year

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2022 is the potential out year for Lawrence. Cut or trade pre-6/1 and save $8M on the cap with $19M dead cap. Cut or trade post-6/1 and save $19M on the 2022 cap and eat $8M on $2022 cap and eat $11M on 2023 cap.

I doubt any team would trade for him since his base salary is around $21M per year for 2022 and 2023.

Most likely a cut or massive pay cut with incentives. Jerry doesn’t like to do that though. In this case, Jerry may not have a choice.

No way you take that $19 million dead money cap hit.
He has value in the run game, and has enough respect as a pass rusher to impact the game. Just not as much as the fans want.

Fans want him to be Reggie White or a Bruce Smith, or a Charles Haley. He is not that, but he is not a Taco either.
He may be in the Greg Ellis type category.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tank and his good grades are meaningless for this team.

Parsons hasn’t played D End since highschool and had as big of an impact as Tank has had in several years.

Lawrence needs to be better. For 100 million plus dollars I need more than good grades.

I applaud the week 1 strip though. Credit where credit is due.

When he gets back I think you’re going to have to kick him inside at times and let Parsons have the edge.