Time to Blow the last of the Cap Money! Who would you hire?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I believe if not mistaken teams must have 6 mill heading into the draft to sign draftees

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Yeah, but that's called embezzlement. Which would lead to, Jerry being forced to sell the team.
Where's the money???????????? They had it to sign Gregory and couldn't get a deal done so they should have immediately turned their attention to someone else who could have been a big upgrade on the defensive side of the ball! It's mind boggling how they think going to the bargain basement year after year, like it's helping this club win. This is why there is a huge difference between clubs like NE and this one, NE doesn't mess around they don't re-sign guys who don't produce, they release them or just let them walk away. JJ and Co keep sending that same message and that is MEDIOCRE is okay on this team, they can live and die with that!

dogberry

Reaction score
$3.5 million for draftees. (MOL)

Would like to acknowledge the poster who schooled on this topic, but …lost in the sands of time.

Rule of 51: the draftees replace players on the roster who are making at least the minimum $705,000.

So, draft money minus number of players drafted times $705,000. Yeah, no math just arithmetic.

(I would really be honored if Adamjt13 was the one who told me I was wrong once upon a time.)

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Every FA they knew was realistic is back. The only casualty was Gregory and there is debate if that was indeed a true casualty. I won't get into the Coop debate but looks like the team feels it can do just as well without him which is debatable.

Positions that have no proven starter:
  • Kicker - Greg the Leg is gone.
  • Left Guard - Do you trust McGovern? I don't think he's a lost cause but he doesn't make anyone comfortable.
Depth issues, which means there is no one truly proven at backup:
  • Quarterback - one game doesn't make Cooper
  • Tight End - they got a chance to play, but there's a reason we franchised Schultz, don't trust that depth
  • #4 WR - I know some of you are high on Simi, but with both Coop and Cedrick gone it's thin again. Good pickup with Washington to insure we're not the same at #3.
  • Swing Tackle - we lost 2 linemen, depth is limited, Tyron remains injury prone and Martin is older
  • Backup Interior Lineman - we lost 2 linemen, depth is limited, Tyron remains injury prone and Martin is older
  • Defensive Tackle - Some good young talent in there with Gallimore and Osa and some are high on Bohana, but not much proven depth, and some might say no proven starters either
  • LB - Not as important a position as S to Quinn, and LVE is back and Cox is healthy. But I'm assuming that Parsons is going to be a DE again depending on passing down and injury situation. Parsons is the MVP, he has to be able to line up anywhere, and not where there is no depth.
Injury prone, declining positions:
  • LT (Tyron), history of injuries
  • Edge (Tank), history of injuries
  • RB (Zeke), if he's out of fumes next year, I don't think Pollard can shoulder the whole load
Best free agents remaining:

• QB - Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • RB - Melvin Gordon, Sony Michel, Ronald Jones
  • TE - Gronk, Mycole Pruitt
  • WR - OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Will Fuller, Julio Jones, Marquez Scantling, Antonio Brown
  • OT - Terron Armstead, Duane Brown, Eric Fisher, Riley Reiff, Daryl Williams
  • G/C - JC Tretter, Quinton Spain, Trai Turner, Ereck Flowers
  • EDGE - Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes, Justin Houston, Derek Barnett, Arden Key,
  • DT - Calais Campbell, Akiem Hicks, Sheldon Richardson, Ndamukong Suh, Larry Ogunjobi
  • LB - Bobby Wagner, Anthony Barr, Kyzir White, Donta Hightower
  • K - who knows?
Give me Wagner

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Every FA they knew was realistic is back. The only casualty was Gregory and there is debate if that was indeed a true casualty. I won't get into the Coop debate but looks like the team feels it can do just as well without him which is debatable.

• Left Guard - Do you trust McGovern? I don't think he's a lost cause but he doesn't make anyone comfortable.
  • Tight End - they got a chance to play, but there's a reason we franchised Schultz, don't trust that depth
  • #4 WR - I know some of you are high on Simi, but with both Coop and Cedrick gone it's thin again. Good pickup with Washington to insure we're not the same at #3.
  • Swing Tackle - we lost 2 linemen, depth is limited, Tyron remains injury prone and Martin is older
  • Backup Interior Lineman - we lost 2 linemen, depth is limited, Tyron remains injury prone and Martin is older
  • Defensive Tackle - Some good young talent in there with Gallimore and Osa and some are high on Bohana, but not much proven depth, and some might say no proven starters either
  • LB - Not as important a position as S to Quinn, and LVE is back and Cox is healthy. But I'm assuming that Parsons is going to be a DE again depending on passing down and injury situation. Parsons is the MVP, he has to be able to line up anywhere, and not where there is no depth.
  • RB (Zeke), if he's out of fumes next year, I don't think Pollard can shoulder the whole load

• WR - OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Will Fuller, Julio Jones, Marquez Scantling, Antonio Brown
  • EDGE - Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes, Justin Houston, Derek Barnett, Arden Key,
  • DT - Calais Campbell, Akiem Hicks, Sheldon Richardson, Ndamukong Suh, Larry Ogunjobi
  • K - who knows?
From this list i want personally:

QB: Dalton
G/C: Trai Turner
T: Eric Fisher
DT: Akiem Hicks, &/OR Sheldon Richardson
LB: Donta Hightower, &/OR Bobby Wagner(not going to happen)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• K - who knows?

I would spend my remaining cap money on two positions:
  1. Center
  2. Left Guard
Both were weak links last year and both should be upgraded. I think signing JC Tretter at center and one of Ereck Flowers or Will Hernandez at left guard would have us improved over last year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
why not a little focus on the OL?

If someone falls that is highly rated yes but i'm not focusing on the OL.
1. They have 2 highly paid starters and another they thought was playing near that level.
2. They continuously draft them anyway. If they didn't like McGovern enough to start they should have paid CW that 7/yr chump change
3. They drafted Ball as backup tackle last year.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He's been working out.

7368731aa2934e7000ec39bec5e14bcf.jpg