Time to Get Younger? Cowboys Players Over Thirty

sjordan6

Reaction score
With the signing of Gurode to a six year deal, who will be 29 next month, it begs the question if it is time for the Cowboys to start looking at younger players in key positions. Here is a list of players who are over 30 and their contract status. Who do you think can still play or who do you think it is time to replace with a younger player thru the draft or free agency. Some of these guys are free agents and probably will not be back next season.

Flozell Adams 32 in May and in the last contract year @ $5million

Greg Ellis 32 in Aug is in the 4th yr of a 7/$21 million contract extension. ($4mil sb)

Jason Fabini 33 in Aug last yr signed a 3/$4.5 contract ($1.7 sb)

Jason Feguson 33 in Nov in 3rd yr of 5/$21 million contract ($9mil sb)

Aaron Glenn 35 in July signed extention for $2mil next season

Terry Glenn 33 in July signed 5/$20 million extention last season
(due $5million roster bonus in march)

Gramatica 32 Nov.....free agent

Anthony Henry 31 in Nov in 3rd yr of 5/$25 million contract ($10mil sb)

T.O. 34 in Dec in 2nd yr of 3/$25 million contract.

Marco Rivera 35 in April in 3rd yr of 5/$20 million contract ($8mil sb)

Al Singleton 32 in Aug....Free Agent

Drew Deadslow is not worth mentioning since its understood he's gone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I would expect 5 of those guys (Ellis, Fabini, Rivera, Singleton, and TO/Glenn) to be gone before the season starts.

Also, having a 32 yr old kicker isnt a bad thing at all imo...

we really arent old at all

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sjordan6;1384494 said:
With the signing of Gurode to a six year deal, who will be 29 next month, it begs the question if it is time for the Cowboys to start looking at younger players in key positions. Here is a list of players who are over 30 and their contract status. Who do you think can still play or who do you think it is time to replace with a younger player thru the draft or free agency. Some of these guys are free agents and probably will not be back next season.

Greg Ellis 32 in Aug has a few years left @ $4million per season

the only position I really see that we need to get younger at is WR, Olinemen can play forever, and just turning 29 (Gurode) is nothing to fret about, that's just 1 year into his prime, and the players I have in bold are backups and/or won't return

and Grammatica is a K for crying out loud, they can play forever

it's nice to be young across the board, but you also need a nice mix of veterans

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sjordan6;1384494 said:

It is a concern if you start restructuring contracts of players who are up in age. You end up paying for guys after they are retired. Dallas did this before and it came back to bite us.

The Realist

Reaction score
I'd like to know how the avg age of our roster and starting 22 compares to rest of league.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sjordan6;1384494 said:

Even though Rivera would normally be on the top of this list, I think that drafting or finding a solid replacement for Ferguson should be the top priority IF we stay with the 3-4 defense. He enjoyed a relatively injury-free season last year, but if he were to go down, it would open a huge hole right up the gut of our defense.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I forgot about Fabini, tells you how much of an impact he made on the team last year.

Fabini, Rivera, and Aaron Glenn are almost certainly gone.

Ellis could be kept around depending on how much depth Phillips wants at LB.

Singleton is already gone since he is a FA and we aren't likely to re-sign him.

We might re-sign Gramatica if no one else pops up.

I still think we will let Owens go before too long but that's just me and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays this season.

They didn't mention Bledsoe, who just turned 35, I guess because it is a given that he won't be back.

That would leave us with only Terry Glenn, Flozell Adams, Jason Ferguson, Anthony Henry, Owens, and probably Ellis. That's only 6 players over 30 on the team (unless we sign a FA from somewhere, likely a kicker), not too bad.

sjordan6

Reaction score
THUMPER;1384526 said:
I forgot about Fabini, tells you how much of an impact he made on the team last year.

Fabini, Rivera, and Aaron Glenn are almost certainly gone.

Ellis could be kept around depending on how much depth Phillips wants at LB.

Singleton is already gone since he is a FA and we aren't likely to re-sign him.

We might re-sign Gramatica if no one else pops up.

I still think we will let Owens go before too long but that's just me and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays this season.

They didn't mention Bledsoe, who just turned 35, I guess because it is a given that he won't be back.

That would leave us with only Terry Glenn, Flozell Adams, Jason Ferguson, Anthony Henry, Owens, and probably Ellis. That's only 6 players over 30 on the team (unless we sign a FA from somewhere, likely a kicker), not too bad.

You make some excellent observations. I actually do see Owens coming back because there is really no one out there to replace him and you cant deny his value on the field. With that said I do believe that Glenn, Adams, Ferguson, Owens, and Ellis will not see past next season. This is the their last season and the Cowboys should enjoy another off-season with huge salary cap money saved and with an increase in the number.

ringmaster

Reaction score
sjordan6;1384494 said:

Greg Ellis 32 in Aug is in the 4th yr of a 7/$21 million contract extension. ($4mil sb)

As long most of them plays at a high level it doesn't matter how old they are.

I do marathon running sometimes and I will be 30, in December this doesn't pertain to you Jordan, but those people like Spagnola, who uses people's ages as props religiously.

My definition of aging is when you can't do anything for yourself anymore like they say nowadays "40 is the new 30".

Trust me if you saw me in person you would think I'm 22, instead of going on 30yrs of age most people don't look their age.

To answer your question Marco Rivera, is my choice who should be released due to his back problems.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
sjordan6;1384494 said:

Keepers

Flozell Adams (one more season - let McQuistan battle it out with him - wouldn't be opposed to trading him if McQuistan wins that battle)

Greg Ellis (bargain contract means you keep him until you don't need his pass rush any longer)

Jason Fabini (cheap enough contract that you keep until some young pup beats him out)

Jason Ferguson (Our only proven NT, a no brainer)

Aaron Glenn(bargain contract-keep until he gets beat out)

Terry Glenn(forced to keep until a young receiver proves himself-hopefully they can re-do his deal)

Gramatica
(needs to be re-signed to a fair deal)

Anthony Henry
(hefty contract but he's the starter at CB until beaten out)

Terrell Owens
(Keep until a #1 WR replacement is found or until he doesn't want to be here and does something really bad)

Goodbye

Marco Rivera
(I thought he would come back from the first back operation, I was wrong, 1st time shame on you, second time shame on me)

Al Singleton (unless he comes so cheap that you keep for insurance)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ringmaster;1384536 said:
As long most of them plays at a high level it doesn't matter how old they are.

I do marathon running sometimes and I will be 30, in December this doesn't pertain to you Jordan, but those people like Spagnola, who uses people's ages as props religiously.

My definition of aging is when you can't do anything for yourself anymore like they say nowadays "40 is the new 30".

Trust me if you saw me in person you would think I'm 22, instead of going on 30yrs of age most people don't look their age.

To answer your question Marco Rivera, is my choice who should be released due to his back problems.

This is also professional football and age catches up to these guys very quickly and when it does teams get stuck with wasted money on players who no longer play at a level that justifies the money they are making. I think there are always going to be guys who are exceptions to the rule but by and large football is a younger mans game. Cowboys did this before where we invest big money on players starting to get up in age and when they left we were stuck with dead money and cap hell. I don’t want to see this team go through that again. I’d much rather get rid of a guy 1 year too soon than 1 year to late

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Flozell Adams keep

Greg Ellis keep

Jason Fabini keep

Jason Feguson keep

Aaron Glenn keep

Terry Glenn keep

Gramatica 32 keep

Anthony Henry keep

T.O. keep

Marco Rivera retire

Al Singleton cut

alancdc

Reaction score
Future 585;1384500 said:
I would expect 5 of those guys (Ellis, Fabini, Rivera, Singleton, and TO/Glenn) to be gone before the season starts.

Also, having a 32 yr old kicker isnt a bad thing at all imo...

we really arent old at all

Agreed. I really don't think other than WR we are old. We are particularly yound on D.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1384555 said:
This is also professional football and age catches up to these guys very quickly and when it does teams get stuck with wasted money on players who no longer play at a level that justifies the money they are making. I think there are always going to be guys who are exceptions to the rule but by and large football is a younger mans game. Cowboys did this before where we invest big money on players starting to get up in age and when they left we were stuck with dead money and cap hell. I don’t want to see this team go through that again. I’d much rather get rid of a guy 1 year too soon than 1 year to late
Those were the big contract guys like Aikman, Irvin, Haley, Novacek, Johnston all getting hurt in the middle of their contracts. That was a lot more towards the cap at the same time.

These current guys are by the most part shorter and more palatable contract averages. The only contracts that could hurt them a bit would be Henry, Ferguson, and Terry Glenns since they are recent deals. Henry and Ferguson should be able to finish those contracts out though. Thats why Glenn may need to renegotiate his, but its still not that bad. The others are either close to ending (Flo) or just downright cheap.(Ellis) Owens' deal is really one year deals, no worry on that one.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1384555 said:

have any such examples of that kind of contract on our roster?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1384582 said:
Those were the big contract guys like Aikman, Irvin, Haley, Novacek, Johnston all getting hurt in the middle of their contracts. That was a lot more towards the cap at the same time.

These current guys are by the most part shorter and more palatable contract averages. The only contracts that could hurt them a bit would be Henry, Ferguson, and Terry Glenns since they are recent deals. Henry and Ferguson should be able to finish those contracts out though. Thats why Glenn may need to renegotiate his, but its still not that bad. The others are either close to ending (Flo) or just downright cheap.(Ellis)

I still think it is a bit of a concern. I see teams like the Pats releasing guys not trying to hold on to a guy 1 or 2 more years and I see others doing that as well. I would rather release a guy 1 year to soon than 1 year to late. Looking at some of these contract that is not chump change and I'm not looking for a 1 year championship team and watch it go down the tubes. As for Glenn I don't want to see a 33 year old guy redo his contract only to pay out money aginst the cap for a player who is no longer on the team and yes that is what got us into trouble. You can't hang on to everyone not when talking 30 somthing players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score

These current guys are by the most part shorter and more palatable contract averages. The only contracts that could hurt them a bit would be Henry, Ferguson, and Terry Glenns since they are recent deals. Henry and Ferguson should be able to finish those contracts out though. Thats why Glenn may need to renegotiate his, but its still not that bad. The others are either close to ending (Flo) or just downright cheap.(Ellis) Owens' deal is really one year deals, no worry on that one.

Glenn only has 2 years remaining on his deal

speedkilz88

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1384593 said:
Glenn only has 2 years remaining on his deal
I could of sworn I stated this in my statement.
These current guys are by the most part shorter and more palatable contract averages.
Glenn may not be playing at a high level for two more years. Hes getting paid pretty well with a high bonus this season.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score

speedkilz88;1384601 said:
I could of sworn I stated this in my statement.

really? where?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
So basically we have 4 out of 22 starters that are over 30 years old?

Not bad at all.