Time to Get Younger? Cowboys Players Over Thirty

sjordan6

Reaction score
theogt;1384657 said:
So basically we have 4 out of 22 starters that are over 30 years old?

Not bad at all.

Well you got
1) Adams 2) Ferguson 3) T.Glenn 4) Owens 5) Henry 6) Ellis

7)A. Glenn (nickle)

About 33% of our starters/players on the field.

Not counting Rivera/Fabini/Singleton/Deadslow/Grammatica.

The good thing about it is this will probably be the last season for all those guys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;1384657 said:
So basically we have 4 out of 22 starters that are over 30 years old?

Not bad at all.

My concern is not how many players over 30 as much as it is how much cap money is being spent on older players and signing bonus. With Glenn and TO alone we are looking at 17.25 mill this season with their signing bonus and salary for this season. I guess my biggest concern is not wanting to go back to the days when all we could afford were guys like Ryan Leaf because we had few choices. As much as I like Glenn I think it would be a better deal looking at WR in the draft or a younger FA player instead of trying to extend his career by 1 or 2 more years.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I forgot about Fabini, tells you how much of an impact he made on the team last year.

Its usually a good thing when a backup offensive lineman doesn't make an impact. It means your starters stayed healthy.

sjordan6

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1384682 said:
My concern is not how many players over 30 as much as it is how much cap money is being spent on older players and signing bonus. With Glenn and TO alone we are looking at 17.25 mill this season with their signing bonus and salary for this season. I guess my biggest concern is not wanting to go back to the days when all we could afford were guys like Ryan Leaf because we had few choices. As much as I like Glenn I think it would be a better deal looking at WR in the draft or a younger FA player instead of trying to extend his career by 1 or 2 more years.

I understand your point and my only concern is this is probably the last season that these over thirty guys play. I think this will be both Glenns last season, Adams, Ferguson,T.O., and maybe Ellis. Im pretty sure Singleton,RIvera,Fabini, and Deadslow will not be playing for the Cowboys this coming season.

The only only I see staying after this season will be Henry. Owens may come back if he has a great season and Ellis will be a bargain to have at his price if he is still productive as a pass rusher.

I guess my point is we may have a number of guys over thirty who are getting paid but this will actually be the final season of these old veterens.
Many of them will not be back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sjordan6;1384709 said:
I understand your point and my only concern is this is probably the last season that these over thirty guys play. I think this will be both Glenns last season, Adams, Ferguson,T.O., and maybe Ellis. Im pretty sure Singleton,RIvera,Fabini, and Deadslow will not be playing for the Cowboys this coming season.

The only only I see staying after this season will be Henry. Owens may come back if he has a great season and Ellis will be a bargain to have at his price if he is still productive as a pass rusher.

I guess my point is we may have a number of guys over thirty who are getting paid but this will actually be the final season of these old veterens.
Many of them will not be back.

Maybe then again players tend to think they can continue to play and I hope Jones is careful about his loyalty. Before FA and the salary cap none of this would be an issue but in today’s game it is an issue and that is why you see teams like the Pats willing to move on instead of overpaying or holding on to older players. Ask Ty Law and a few others who were fan favorites but the Pats do not look at just today but the future and I hope that is what this franchise will do.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
sjordan6;1384494 said:
With the signing of Gurode to a six year deal, who will be 29 next month, it begs the question if it is time for the Cowboys to start looking at younger players in key positions. Here is a list of players who are over 30 and their contract status. Who do you think can still play or who do you think it is time to replace with a younger player thru the draft or free agency. Some of these guys are free agents and probably will not be back next season.

Flozell Adams 32 in May and in the last contract year @ $5million

Greg Ellis 32 in Aug is in the 4th yr of a 7/$21 million contract extension. ($4mil sb)

Jason Fabini 33 in Aug last yr signed a 3/$4.5 contract ($1.7 sb)

Jason Feguson 33 in Nov in 3rd yr of 5/$21 million contract ($9mil sb)

Aaron Glenn 35 in July signed extention for $2mil next season

Terry Glenn 33 in July signed 5/$20 million extention last season
(due $5million roster bonus in march)

Gramatica 32 Nov.....free agent

Anthony Henry 31 in Nov in 3rd yr of 5/$25 million contract ($10mil sb)

T.O. 34 in Dec in 2nd yr of 3/$25 million contract.

Marco Rivera 35 in April in 3rd yr of 5/$20 million contract ($8mil sb)

Al Singleton 32 in Aug....Free Agent

Drew Deadslow is not worth mentioning since its understood he's gone.

Out of that bunch I'd say T.O., Terry Glenn and Grammy are keepers.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
TOs contract is really only year to year contracts. There is no cap hit once he is gone, nothing is spread out. Glenn's isn't long enough to hurt that bad though he may not fulfill it for the price he is getting paid. Ferguson and Henry's contracts are the only ones that have both a high price with some length and both those players have a chance to be around that long.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Most of these guys will be gone in two years no matter what- so it is not a concern as long as we do not restructure/extend/resign.
We actually have a very young team. Rivera will not be a starter this coming season. So only Adams will be over 30 on the line, and many O linemen play well well into their 30s. Ferguson is somewhat of a concern since we do not really have either a good sub or prospective replacement- the Mont is still highly doubtful. Henry- especially if he is moved to FS- is a year or two away from really being a concern. The only real concern for the whole team is our starting WRs. THAT is why we have to find out about our young guys THIS year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
sjordan6;1384675 said:
Well you got
1) Adams 2) Ferguson 3) T.Glenn 4) Owens 5) Henry 6) Ellis

7)A. Glenn (nickle)

About 33% of our starters/players on the field.

Not counting Rivera/Fabini/Singleton/Deadslow/Grammatica.

The good thing about it is this will probably be the last season for all those guys.
So, there's 5. Ellis won't be a starter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I think you can pretty much stop caring about the cap from here on out. Might as well pretend it doesn't exist.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1384555 said:
This is also professional football and age catches up to these guys very quickly and when it does teams get stuck with wasted money on players who no longer play at a level that justifies the money they are making. I think there are always going to be guys who are exceptions to the rule but by and large football is a younger mans game. Cowboys did this before where we invest big money on players starting to get up in age and when they left we were stuck with dead money and cap hell. I don’t want to see this team go through that again. I’d much rather get rid of a guy 1 year too soon than 1 year to late

I agree. But with the way guys like T.O. condition, tehy can probably play longer than most

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Time to Get Younger?

Being that YOUTH doesnt necessarily correlate with success. Age is just a number so I dont care who and how many are over 30.

Whatever it is... TO must go though

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only area I am concerned about age is WR and CB. That is why I am advocating a pick from those two spots with our first two picks.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
CB and WR... when OL, DT, S, and LB Depth, should be a bigger concern is not a good decision.

The way rules are leaning towards offense recently, IMO you have to protect the QB and sustain drives through running the ball.

As well as stop the run.

You can get some lower priced FAs that can play the game and contribute, on a shorter contract even though the upfront money is typically more.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1385284 said:
CB and WR... when OL, DT, S, and LB Depth, should be a bigger concern is not a good decision.

The way rules are leaning towards offense recently, IMO you have to protect the QB and sustain drives through running the ball.

As well as stop the run.

You can get some lower priced FAs that can play the game and contribute, on a shorter contract even though the upfront money is typically more.

what would you know about lower-priced free agents? oh I know, you mean as in Eric Steinbach, or Adalius Thomas :laugh2:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1385289 said:
what would you know about lower-priced free agents? oh I know, you mean as in Eric Steinbach, or Adalius Thomas :laugh2:

I dont run the front office, trust me on that.

:p:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;1384913 said:
I think you can pretty much stop caring about the cap from here on out. Might as well pretend it doesn't exist.

I'll always be concerned about it as long as a cap and FA is in place. I think the teams like the Pats have shown that you can be smart about the cap and continue to put a winning team on the field. They have made some hard choices in releasing good players for the sake of the teams overall future in terms of the cap.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1385014 said:
I agree. But with the way guys like T.O. condition, tehy can probably play longer than most

I think Dallas has a choice. Keep TO and release Glenn or the other way around but we are talking 17.25 mill (according to the DMN) and that is a lot of cap dollars tied up with 2 players in their 30's. In the end Dallas may keep them but when you consider we will be in the same spot next season with 2 WR in their 30's making big dollars I think your better off looking at a young FA to replace Glenn. Believe me I wish the cap was a non-issue but it is part of running a team in today’s NFL

sjordan6

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1385619 said:
I think Dallas has a choice. Keep TO and release Glenn or the other way around but we are talking 17.25 mill (according to the DMN) and that is a lot of cap dollars tied up with 2 players in their 30's. In the end Dallas may keep them but when you consider we will be in the same spot next season with 2 WR in their 30's making big dollars I think your better off looking at a young FA to replace Glenn. Believe me I wish the cap was a non-issue but it is part of running a team in today’s NFL

The good thing about both of them is that although they are both in line for roster bonuses ( Glenn $5mil, Owens $3mil) they both will save alot after this season and the cap hit would not be large. I agree that it is time to get younger but who is out there to get and the draft is always a crap shoot in getting receivers.

I think the Cowboys will get the most out of Glenn and Owens this season but it would seem that if Owen could tone the public act a little then he would be the one to stay because of how good of shape he is in. Hell Jerry Rice didnt really start going the other way until he was about 38 so I think T.O. actually could play out his contract and will be 35 at that time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sjordan6;1385674 said:
The good thing about both of them is that although they are both in line for roster bonuses ( Glenn $5mil, Owens $3mil) they both will save alot after this season and the cap hit would not be large. I agree that it is time to get younger but who is out there to get and the draft is always a crap shoot in getting receivers.

I think the Cowboys will get the most out of Glenn and Owens this season but it would seem that if Owen could tone the public act a little then he would be the one to stay because of how good of shape he is in. Hell Jerry Rice didnt really start going the other way until he was about 38 so I think T.O. actually could play out his contract and will be 35 at that time.

As I said I like Glenn but I expect Dallas to keep Owen and he is the #1 WR and I do think Dallas could find a compliment WR to play opposite and we still have the best hands on the team in Crayton. Glenn does have some health issues and very well could be a reason why he slows down towards the end of the season. In the end this is Jerry call and if Glenn remains I'll support the guy but at this stage if it were my call to make I would have to say that you put loyalty to the side and go out into FA or the draft and spend the money on a younger player. Also don't rule out the young guys like Austin and Hurd.