CFZ Time to play offseason GM

My3Sons

Reaction score
Deferred signing bonus is death. So, it will dictate the timing of certain moves.

If Tyron will give a team friendly 3 year renegotiation(highly unlikely), then keep him. Otherwise look to trade him post June 1. Maybe a 2nd rounder for a LT with his accolades.

Zeke ran himself out of town with his performance the last 6 games. Like a 1.5 yard per carry average. Designate post June 1 cut.

Schultz has very good hands and is a great runner after the catch. He is a below average blocker that has a ZERO IQ in late game situations. Time to wave good bye as we need to save money with our younger guys. Unless Dak will take a smaller salary to keep him(which won't happen).

I am all in on a 4 year 20 million on Pollard. Any more than that, he should be shown the door. Drafting inexpensive young backs would be my path. Lots of good ones in this draft. Give me the kid from Texas early or the back from Illinois in the 3rd.

Sign Wilson. He is underrated.

Try to bring Brown back on a two or three year (team friendly) deal.

Sign LVE to a 3 year x 14 million or say good bye.

Draft a kicker mid to late round.

This is all very easy stuff. So, expect our FO to screw it up.

Sydla

Reaction score
Can you trade someone before the draft and but designate him a post June 1 trade?

I know you can do that with cuts, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt that with a trade. If you are trading him this offseason you'd want the pick for the 2023 draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you trade someone before the draft and but designate him a post June 1 trade?

I know you can do that with cuts, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt that with a trade. If you are trading him this offseason you'd want the pick for the 2023 draft.
No, once a trade happens, that $$$ is off the books, or you take the dead money hit. I never seen it as a June 1st cut. Now depending how it is written, some of that dead money go to 2024, but not even sure about that.

Plus you can only have one June 1st cut.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
LOL at anyone thinking this front office is capable of making smart moves...

JBS

Reaction score
4/20 for pollard lolololol

Find a new pretend job. This one isn’t for you

Sydla

Reaction score
No, once a trade happens, that $$$ is off the books, or you take the dead money hit. I never seen it as a June 1st cut. Now depending how it is written, some of that dead money go to 2024, but not even sure about that.

If you trade someone post June 1, the cap implications are different than pre-June 1. You can cut someone pre-June 1 and designate him post June 1 but I wasn't sure about a trade.

And the rules changed last year. You can now have two guys as June 1 designations.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deferred signing bonus is death. So, it will dictate the timing of certain moves.

If Tyron will give a team friendly 3 year renegotiation(highly unlikely), then keep him. Otherwise look to trade him post June 1. Maybe a 2nd rounder for a LT with his accolades.

Zeke ran himself out of town with his performance the last 6 games. Like a 1.5 yard per carry average. Designate post June 1 cut.

Schultz has very good hands and is a great runner after the catch. He is a below average blocker that has a ZERO IQ in late game situations. Time to wave good bye as we need to save money with our younger guys. Unless Dak will take a smaller salary to keep him(which won't happen).

I am all in on a 4 year 20 million on Pollard. Any more than that, he should be shown the door. Drafting inexpensive young backs would be my path. Lots of good ones in this draft. Give me the kid from Texas early or the back from Illinois in the 3rd.

Some of what you are saying, can't be done that easily. And certainly not all of it. As you can't have 2 June 1st cuts.

Also, we all know the FO has it screw ups, many over they years. But they obviously got many things correct. Two 12 wins seasons back to back seem heading in the right direction.
So do they screw up only only if they do not do what fans want? I seen that a lot. Not from you, and not saying you are saying that. As I do understand the comment, as a generality. :thumbup:

I like the Tyron option of an extension if team friendly, but also easier to get out. of. Especially since Steele is coming off a major knee injury, and may not be ready for TCo r 100%.
Also Schultz, kind of in the middle of this, would not mind having him back, but not at a high cost. Ferguson looked really good, so possibly draft another TE, or one in FA to bring along.

Yes bring Pollard back, if a decent deal, if not I think they can find one in the draft. But if he leaves, then you also need to draft a RB. And depends what happens with Zeke.
Which Brown, Noah or Anthony? I would be ok with both coming back. As well LVE but do not overspend.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you trade someone post June 1, the cap implications are different than pre-June 1. You can cut someone pre-June 1 and designate him post June 1 but I wasn't sure about a trade.

And the rules changed last year. You can now have two guys as June 1 designations.
I did not know that, thanks for the info.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Actually you are allowed to designate 2 players as post June 1st releases:

"Additionally, teams are allowed to designate up to two players per year as post-June 1st designations, even if they are released prior."

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually you are allowed to designate 2 players as post June 1st releases:

"Additionally, teams are allowed to designate up to two players per year as post-June 1st designations, even if they are released prior."
Yes, someone already pointed that out it was changed last year, thanks for the info.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What effective GMs do in the off-season:
  • They have a plan and stick to it. They plan to win a SB and look for any position or player where we need to improve and make aggressive plans to improve it.
  • They are aggressive in both free agency and trades. The draft alone is no longer enough to build a championship roster. FAs and trades must be used as well.
  • They don’t over-value their talent just because they drafted them. Jerry hangs on to his favorite players for sentimental reasons. Guys like Zeke and Tyron Smith are way past their prime. They need to go.
  • They cut or trade players BEFORE they are washed up. Look at some examples from effective GMs recently:
    • Chiefs GM Brett Veach traded Tyreek Hill who was an All Pro WR before his big contract payday hit. He acquired multiple draft picks In return. Cut Pro Bowl S Tyron Matthieu before others saw his decline. The chiefs D is actually better this year.
    • Rams GM Les Snead traded his #1 QB Jared Goff who had already taken them to a SB in exchange for a veteran QB in Matt Stafford who helped them win a SB in 2021.
    • Niners GM John Lynch drafted QB Trey Lance in first round in 2021, despite having Jimmy Garropolo who had already taken them to a SB. THEN he drafted Brock Purdy in 7th round last year. (You should draft QBs often)
Our GM is 80 and his sidekick son in 58. They are out of touch with the way to build a championship roster in the modern era.

My3Sons

Reaction score
4/20 for pollard lolololol

Find a new pretend job. This one isn’t for you
I have no problem with Pollard taking more money elsewhere. Just like I posted. Pollard had a severe leg injury in 2023. Does that lower his value for this contract? Most big second contracts for RBs do not work out well for the team. Who knows.

Btw, I was in the room with JJ 2 nights ago. Makes me closer to an NFL GM than most;)

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
I wonder if Will McClay is out of touch on how to build a roster. He has been offered GM jobs, but Chooses to stay with the Cowboys.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm not as eager to resign Pollard as I was before the injury. Will he be the same player coming off surgery? I may be inclined to look for young legs in the draft.

Later, Zeke. It's been fun but you're done. Need some more explosion out of the backfield.

Jake Moody, a Groza award-winning kicker from Michigan (barfs), wouldn't be a waste of a 7th round pick IMO.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offer Tyron for a #2

Tag Pollard and quietly offer him for a #1. He is a multi phase weapon who can take it home on any play.

Offer Parsons for what you can get 2#1s? #1,2,3? You can not afford Parsons contract anyway and he'll get dinged up or worse around those horses.
Draft a big time QB this year or next.
We'll step back a year, but will benefit from it
Trading opens in March
Get to work Jerry

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Converting a big salary to a signng bonus to create cap space is not a problem
- It just gives the player the salary upfront that he was going to get during that season anyway.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The difference between a trade and a cut is that the base salary goes to the new team.
- That's significant if the player has a guaranteed base salary.
- If no guaranteed base salary, then trade and cut have the same ramifications.