CFZ Time to play offseason GM

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What effective GMs do in the off-season:
  • They have a plan and stick to it. They plan to win a SB and look for any position or player where we need to improve and make aggressive plans to improve it.
  • They are aggressive in both free agency and trades. The draft alone is no longer enough to build a championship roster. FAs and trades must be used as well.
  • They don’t over-value their talent just because they drafted them. Jerry hangs on to his favorite players for sentimental reasons. Guys like Zeke and Tyron Smith are way past their prime. They need to go.
  • They cut or trade players BEFORE they are washed up. Look at some examples from effective GMs recently:
    • Chiefs GM Brett Veach traded Tyreek Hill who was an All Pro WR before his big contract payday hit. He acquired multiple draft picks In return. Cut Pro Bowl S Tyron Matthieu before others saw his decline. The chiefs D is actually better this year.
    • Rams GM Les Snead traded his #1 QB Jared Goff who had already taken them to a SB in exchange for a veteran QB in Matt Stafford who helped them win a SB in 2021.
    • Niners GM John Lynch drafted QB Trey Lance in first round in 2021, despite having Jimmy Garropolo who had already taken them to a SB. THEN he drafted Brock Purdy in 7th round last year. (You should draft QBs often)
Our GM is 80 and his sidekick son in 58. They are out of touch with the way to build a championship roster in the modern era.
They could not move on from Zeke until 2023.
- His salaries in 2022 and early were guaranteed.
- Cutting him would have save zero cap dollars.
- Actually cutting Zeke would have cost more because they have to pay at least minimum wage to a RB to replace him on the 53.

Since 2014, the Cowboys have had a plan and have stayed with the plan.
During the Pats run of 6 Super Bowls, they never operated with an "All In for this season" mentaliy.
- They made it to the playoff 17 of Brady's 19 seasons as the starter.
- That means 17 - 6 = 11 times they made the playoffs without winning a Super Bowl.
The Cowboys have made the playoffs 2 years in a row. That's a good path.

Tyron has not really declined. He's just injury prone. He played well this season when he played.

They moved on from:
Romo
Dez
Witten
La'el (not old, but unreliabe and over paid)

My3Sons

Reaction score
Converting a big salary to a signng bonus to create cap space is not a problem
- It just gives the player the salary upfront that he was going to get during that season anyway.
Ya, it just creates future problems. But, ya it helps give cap relief in the current year.

CowboysFanKY88

Reaction score
I’d say resign:
Wilson
LVE
McGovern (only on a team friendly deal)
Hankins

Keep Tyron Smith at least until Steele is back and fully healthy.

Cut Zeke post June 1
Let Polard, Schultz, and both Browns walk.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Deferred signing bonus is death. So, it will dictate the timing of certain moves.

If Tyron will give a team friendly 3 year renegotiation(highly unlikely), then keep him. Otherwise look to trade him post June 1. Maybe a 2nd rounder for a LT with his accolades.

Zeke ran himself out of town with his performance the last 6 games. Like a 1.5 yard per carry average. Designate post June 1 cut.

Schultz has very good hands and is a great runner after the catch. He is a below average blocker that has a ZERO IQ in late game situations. Time to wave good bye as we need to save money with our younger guys. Unless Dak will take a smaller salary to keep him(which won't happen).

I am all in on a 4 year 20 million on Pollard. Any more than that, he should be shown the door. Drafting inexpensive young backs would be my path. Lots of good ones in this draft. Give me the kid from Texas early or the back from Illinois in the 3rd.

Sign Wilson. He is underrated.

Try to bring Brown back on a two or three year (team friendly) deal.

Sign LVE to a 3 year x 14 million or say good bye.

Draft a kicker mid to late round.

This is all very easy stuff. So, expect our FO to screw it up.
You got that right time for Jerry Dumbo GM Jones to PLAY with being GM.

doomsday808

Reaction score
I would be cautious of signing Pollard. Ok sick of these crazy risky contacts! Especially RBs.