Time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yes, Jason Garrett needed to be fired, and the Cowboys needed to move on to another coach. Now that they've settled on Mike McCarthy, it is time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett. Whatever else you may say about Garrett, he gave the Cowboys 20 years of dedicated service, and although he came up short, no one can honestly say he didn't give it his best effort.

The vast majority of "fans" gloating over his firing couldn't come close to being as professional as Garrett, and couldn't coach the team better than Garrett did. It is sad that he didn't become what Jerry Jones hoped he would be.

Sometime in the future, Garrett may get another chance elsewhere. At that point, we'll find out if Garrett was really the issue and is truly just a mediocre coach, or if Garrett was too hamstrung by Jerry Jones to have a true opportunity to be successful. Whatever the case, it clearly wasn't working for Dallas. Quite frankly, I don't know if it was Garrett, or if the Cowboys coaching environment is so toxic that no one can be successful. I do know (along with everyone else who is gloating) that Garret and Jones weren't getting it done together in Dallas, and that Jones isn't leaving. So Garrett had to go.

But I think the man deserves more respect than many are giving him. He has been a dedicated Cowboy for a long time, and his family has been associated with the Cowboys for even longer. Surely, that service deserves more respect than what some fans are dishing out.

This has to be a Garrett burner account. Has to be.

Nav22

Reaction score
Won 2 rings as Troy’s backup and he always played well when he got the chance. Will never forget the ‘94 Thanksgiving win vs Green Bay.

Fun fact: he went 2-0 vs Brett Favre’s Packers head-to-head as a starter.

JMPearson

Reaction score
Yes, Jason Garrett needed to be fired, and the Cowboys needed to move on to another coach. Now that they've settled on Mike McCarthy, it is time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett. Whatever else you may say about Garrett, he gave the Cowboys 20 years of dedicated service, and although he came up short, no one can honestly say he didn't give it his best effort.

The vast majority of "fans" gloating over his firing couldn't come close to being as professional as Garrett, and couldn't coach the team better than Garrett did. It is sad that he didn't become what Jerry Jones hoped he would be.

Sometime in the future, Garrett may get another chance elsewhere. At that point, we'll find out if Garrett was really the issue and is truly just a mediocre coach, or if Garrett was too hamstrung by Jerry Jones to have a true opportunity to be successful. Whatever the case, it clearly wasn't working for Dallas. Quite frankly, I don't know if it was Garrett, or if the Cowboys coaching environment is so toxic that no one can be successful. I do know (along with everyone else who is gloating) that Garret and Jones weren't getting it done together in Dallas, and that Jones isn't leaving. So Garrett had to go.

But I think the man deserves more respect than many are giving him. He has been a dedicated Cowboy for a long time, and his family has been associated with the Cowboys for even longer. Surely, that service deserves more respect than what some fans are dishing out.

There are 5000 coaches in America that could do a better job than JG, just not moving up Pollard ten yards on kickoffs proves how bad of a coach he was. It happened three times. He is so unprofessional always throwing players under the bus going to Duke basketball games with players during the week of games. I will be dunking on him the rest of my life.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Honestly I want to dunk on him more. If anything close to the rumors this week are true....him begging for his job, staying around this week, etc then I lost what little respect I had. In fact it actually leads me to believe that the things like stabbing Wade in the back, undermining coordinators, throwing people under the bus....were all happening and that he just loved being the Jones pet. Jelly spined. Get out of here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference is that he had no business whatsoever being a HC in the NFL. Didn't belong.
How is that a difference? Do you really think there haven't been a lot of other head coaches that failed that didn't have what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL?

Besides, even if that's true, that's on Jerry, not Jason. Jason didn't hire himself, or retain himself for 9 years.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

I might be inclined to agree with you Jumbo, except he didn't extend the same respect to other guys who had been dedicated to this organization.

D Ware (they said he was tired and over the hill and not worth what he was asking but he did a good job in Denver), Dez (yes some may laugh at that but that man loved being a Cowboy and played his guts out), Romo (not even allowed to compete for his job once healthy).

When their time came (and there are arguments as to whether that was premature or not for some of these guys), they got shown the door and it was slammed on them on the way out.

It's a business. It happens. Garrett is getting treated better than some of the players he showed the door.

I do agree with you that whatever the results, he poured his heart into it. It just didn't work out.
Moving on.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
If Garrett wasted 10 years of your life then you are doing a poor job of managing said life. There is more to life than football.
I think he was referring to his "fan" life which is apparently different from his "life" life. :laugh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issue I had with Garrett is that even he knew he didn't deserve to be HC. I was more annoyed with the reporters at the post Commanders presser who never asked 'Do you think you have done enough to be HC next season'

I wanted to know his answer.

I'm sure he realized at the time he was hired that he didn't have the background to be HC, but he likely thought he could do the job, so how can we blame him for taking it?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The Garrettphiles touted him for a decade, told us how he was the Next Landry, how his intelligence and culture would fix everything, etc... and now less than 20 hours after his firing is official, they want us to leave poor Jason alone.

No. Not happening.

Big_D

Reaction score
Countless scapegoats, threw players and coaches alike under the bus on a regular basis then refused to be fired? lol I’m glad he’s gone but just like other players and coaches, the talk doesn’t end there and neither does the criticism. I’m sure he’s a great guy outside the game but was a gigantic waste of time and talent for this team.

bratch59

Reaction score

I approve this message