Tip Sheet: Tidbit about Julius contract buried in Romo story; Crayton contract

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
silverblue;1740862 said:
some people on here may literally explode if Julius is resigned, but I hope he is and it sounds like maybe preliminary negotiations have taken place.

I don't think you mean people will literally explode.
The word is figuratively.

Exploding people would be monumental news.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
vicjagger;1741114 said:
Not at all. The answer's kinda hidden in this paragraph:

The final breakdown: a signing bonus of $11.5 million. Base salaries of $6 million in 2007 (up from the $1.5 million Romo was to have earned this season under his existing contract), $6.5 million for 2008, $7 million for 2009, $8.5 million for 2010, $9 million for 2011, $9 million for 2012 and $11.5 million in 2013. The full base salaries in 2007 and 2008 are guaranteed, as is $6 million of the 2009 base salary.

11.5 + 6 + 6.5 + 6 = $30M guaranteed, paid out over 4 years. I heard 30.5, but who's quibbling about a few hundred thousand?

8.5 + 9 + 9 +11.5 = $38M for 2010-2013, plus another 1 million for the unguaranteed portion of 2009, minus the 1.5 million he was already scheduled to make this year = $37.5M unguaranteed. A total of 67.5M.

Sweet. Nice breakdown. Much appreciated. :D

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
As much as I dislike Jones, I DO like the tandum of him and MB3.

I guess I can't complain here.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't even care if it's McFadden, but Julius is simply not scaring anyone. He's just running flat. He sorta reminds me of Emmitts' last few years but not quite as bad.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If Red Ball would throw more to him and try more sweeps or quick pitches he would do better. Running him up the gut is dumb- especially as it has been established that our O line just does not run block all that well straight up.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
burmafrd;1741491 said:
If Red Ball would throw more to him and try more sweeps or quick pitches he would do better. Running him up the gut is dumb- especially as it has been established that our O line just does not run block all that well straight up.

:hammer:

Big Dakota

Reaction score
silverblue;1740862 said:
some people on here may literally explode if Julius is resigned, but I hope he is and it sounds like maybe preliminary negotiations have taken place.

Don't bet on it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I really don't read too much into it. For years Dallas has had talks with players in the last year of their contract only to give them a low offer and see the player go elsewhere. It's sort of like the Ekuban situation. You wouldn't die to have him around, but you're not going to offer him big bucks either and chances are he may look elsewhere for a better deal.

YAKUZA

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I would prefer they wait until after the draft to try and resign Julius.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
silverblue;1740940 said:
good candidate for franchise tag maybe

maybe NOT.

Julius has not done enough IMO to get the average salary of the top 5(paid) RBs in the league

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
torrescatch22;1741903 said:
maybe NOT.

Julius has not done enough IMO to get the average salary of the top 5(paid) RBs in the league

Agreed, would be freaking stupid for Jerry to franchise JuJo.

He is not even the best back on the team and we are going to pay him top 5 money???

Not going to happen. I tell JuJo in the offseason to go shop himself around and see what offers he gets and then come back and see if we want to match. Kinda like what we did with Columbo.

If some team is stupid enough to give him top 5 money, they can have him.;)

cowheel

Reaction score
Julius is an average back.
Barber is a slightly above average back.

Put them together they average out to 1 darned good (not great) back.

They can both be resigned rather easily in my opinion - unles one just wants to leave because they don't like the situation (which could be possible - JuJo night get a little jealous when he's offered the minimum and the Barbarian receives a first round tender offer...)

So I can see Jerry trying to keep both of those guys. Saves us the trouble of having to target a RB in the draft.

Now if Jerry is dead set on getting a "super star" caliber back - Julius will walk and Barber will receive a 1st round tender offer.