TNF: Chiefs at Raiders

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
After over eight years of watching Garrett, this is me watching all these exotic formations guys like Reid use

giphy.gif

Garrett and Linehan have basically the same mind. So we are a little stuck.

kumizi

Reaction score
Romo falls for the fake blitz every single time. It was his biggest weakness as a QB.

Defense shows blitz. Romo switches to kill kill. Defense drops back in zone coverage.

Alexander

Reaction score
I'm already on coaching over kill watching the chiefs.. too good for my Garrett mind to grasp.
Well, just make sure that when you go to sleep tonight that you understand these truths.

Garrett has a system. He has a plan. There is a process.

Believe me, this will pay off eventually. No coach can ever get things rolling instantly. In fact, you should be ashamed to expect something in less than a decade, since, well, Landry did not get it right away.

And he is a high integrity coach that you should get down on your knees and simply appreciate because he makes a difference in the lives of the players. In fact, that is really all you need to understand.

This fluff, like "coaching" and "scheme" that leads to winning games, is really secondary to what is really important.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo falls for the fake blitz every single time. It was his biggest weakness as a QB.

Defense shows blitz. Romo switches to kill kill. Defense drops back in zone coverage.

This was 2012, with a garbage OC and he was top among QBs against the blitz.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Tony-Romos-Stats-Against-the-Blitz-in-2012-179108801.html

His stats were worse when they didn’t show blitz and rushed five, which more often than not were when Garrett had a bunch of free runners coming at Romo.

khiladi

Reaction score
This was 2012, with a garbage OC and he was top among QBs against the blitz.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Tony-Romos-Stats-Against-the-Blitz-in-2012-179108801.html

His stats were worse when they didn’t show blitz and rushed five, which more often than not were when Garrett had a bunch of free runners coming at Romo.

Actually, I take that back after re-reading what you said. You said ‘fake’ the blitz, so this article from 2012 seems to confirm your point as far as when teams show the blitz, but then drop. This was in the Garrett OC coaching years though, so I’m not sure what it was since then when he started becoming involved in game planning with the new contract.

Also, I think a lot of that has to do with WRs and our ‘passing routes’. The following article from 2014, they references the Commanders and their blitz schemes and Romo getting his back hurt. One of the things they point out is how the passing game never adjusted to those blitzes from a coaching perspective.

“The blocking scheme never seemed to be correct with the blitzes, and if the Cowboys were going to leave a free pass rusher, why didn't they have receivers getting their heads turned immediately and have Romo only drop three steps? Look at all that open room in the middle, a couple of quick slants from each side probably would have produced a huge play. Instead of running patterns that require a guy to run upfield and turn his head - using quick slants, drags, and short crosses would have killed these blitzes, but Dallas never adjusted.”

“Instead, Dallas did what they did all night, ran patterns that took too long to develop and let a free rusher go on Romo.“

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...uldnt-the-cowboys-handle-the-washington-blitz

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He's extremely intelligent. But that was the one thing that kept him from Peyton Manning level intelligence.

This is not true. If you listen carefully, he says "if" they blitz most of the time. The defense can show blitz, but he still knows that they have to actually come. He is, and was, definitely not fooled every time.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Marcus Peters is a good corner, but he wasn't on that play.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if the raiders don't figure out a way to win this game they are in deep trouble

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you guys see that?

It was, get this - 2nd and 9 - and the Raiders actually ran the ball!

How crazy is that!

:omg:

khiladi

Reaction score
No team looks unbeatable this year. The parity is consistent throughout.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

hqdefault.jpg

Alexander

Reaction score
I can see why Alex Smith drives people crazy.

He is so risk adverse and plays within the confines of the system so well.

But at the end of the day, he wins more than he loses with that approach.