TO is not being used to what he does best!!

Boyzfan31

Reaction score
First.. enough about getting him the ball more, there already force feedind him the ball!!!! i can stand the quick throw espcially when the corner is pressing at the line, thats a pick 6 the other way waiting to happen!!
Second.. maybe he should hang with Austin at the jugs machine because he drops way too many balls!!!
Third...Garrett is to blame for this one, but TO's bread and butter is SLANTS and CROSSING routes!!!! instead of sending him vertical all the time basically as a decoy a slant is perfect for him!!! what good is a safety over the top when he is running a 10 slant!! SEND HIM IN MOTION, he can use his BIG body to sheild the defender and he can get his yac... he thrived in SF and Philly that way!! im just a fan and i can see this why not Garrett! i just dont get it!!!...JMHO...:bang2::bang2::bang2:

Thomas82

Reaction score
Boyzfan31;2434520 said:
First.. enough about getting him the ball more, there already force feedind him the ball!!!! i can stand the quick throw espcially when the corner is pressing at the line, thats a pick 6 the other way waiting to happen!!
Second.. maybe he should hang with Austin at the jugs machine because he drops way too many balls!!!
Third...Garrett is to blame for this one, but TO's bread and butter is SLANTS and CROSSING routes!!!! instead of sending him vertical all the time basically as a decoy a slant is perfect for him!!! what good is a safety over the top when he is running a 10 slant!! SEND HIM IN MOTION, he can use his BIG body to sheild the defender and he can get his yac... he thrived in SF and Philly that way!! im just a fan and i can see this why not Garrett! i just dont get it!!!...JMHO...:bang2::bang2::bang2:

:hammer: :hammer:

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Boyzfan31;2434520 said:

I agree on Motion, TO needs it to give him a free release. I don't agree on the vertical comment. TO runs plenty of slants and crossing patterns. In fact, we haven't had much success with the slants. Over the last couple of weeks there were 3 INT's on TO slant routes. (Brad Johnson threw one of them and 2 last week).

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2434535 said:
I agree on Motion, TO needs it to give him a free release. I don't agree on the vertical comment. TO runs plenty of slants and crossing patterns. In fact, we haven't had much success with the slants. Over the last couple of weeks there were 3 INT's on TO slant routes. (Brad Johnson threw one of them and 2 last week).

He was moved all around last week ! Did you watch the game and TO did what coughed up a ball that resulted in an int

:bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

Stop making excuse for him. My question is why can TO not beat the jam off the line or a double team great wr are suppose to be able to do that

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2434543 said:
He was moved all around last week ! Did you watch the game and TO did what coughed up a ball that resulted in an int

:bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

Stop making excuse for him. My question is why can TO not beat the jam off the line or a double team great wr are suppose to be able to do that

Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote.

Boyzfan31

Reaction score
I dont know why he cant beat a jam??? if you look at his size and body one would think he could be just as physical if not more physical than a usually smaller corner!!!:bang2: i say then keep sending him in motion or keep him in the slot so he can get a free release and work the middle of the feild where a safety over the top is useless.. and im not bashing TO i really like the guy, look at all he has done so far, but teams are realizing his weakness and Garrett needs to ajust and TO needs to hold on to the ball cause he has a bullseye on him !!!!

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
The biggest issue I have with Owens popping off is that he has turned the ball over twice in the last two games with his team in scoring position. Before anyone mentions that the one ball was not thrown in a "perfect spot" in the Commanders game, ask yourself if Michael Irvin or even Roy Williams would have coughed it up in the same circumstances. I watched that play multiple times through the miracle of TiVo and the hit was not that hard.

I have yet to hear Owens mention that he has to do better at holding on to the ball when it is thrown his way. He is supposed to be the number one option, so maybe he could do his part before complaining.

I like Owens and agree that Garrett has not done the greatest job of utilizing his talents, but I wish Owens would shut his pie hole until he can get his own act together.

Givincer

Reaction score
I'm starting to think what he does best is not catch the football. Rather, it's complaining and making a scene. That's what he does best.

odog422

Reaction score
Boyzfan31;2434563 said:
I dont know why he cant beat a jam??? if you look at his size and body one would think he could be just as physical if not more physical than a usually smaller corner!!!:bang2: i say then keep sending him in motion or keep him in the slot so he can get a free release and work the middle of the feild where a safety over the top is useless.. and im not bashing TO i really like the guy, look at all he has done so far, but teams are realizing his weakness and Garrett needs to ajust and TO needs to hold on to the ball cause he has a bullseye on him !!!!

All of that's irrelevant because he's starting to fall into the realm of being an unreliable reciever. Catching the ball is seemingly becoming more of an issue.

He's running crossing patterns and the like as another poster said, but then he's dropping the ball. And I know people say he's always dropped the ball. Yeah well, before he used to also take those short patterns, break a tackle or two and take it to the house or have big gains. So you didn't notice the drops as much.

He's older now and I understand he can't do that anymore. He's still talented, yes. But for real, until his game is what it was, he needs to shut up.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
TO was immature and brought on most of his negative press until last year when he matured quite a bit. He is now past his point of maturity and is becoming a catankerous old man.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
He should always be used in motion and run quick patterns. He's not getting off the line good enough when they jam it.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2434650 said:
He should always be used in motion and run quick patterns. He's not getting off the line good enough when they jam it.

T.O. is as big and fast as anyone in the league.

But his quickness has taken a hit.

Therefore he can't avoid the CB's who are up bumping him at the LOS.

The problem is then compounded when the O-Line hasn't been giving the QB all day to hang in the pocket and wait for T.O. to come open.

T.O. says some of these things. He just leaves out the parts about him losing some of his quickness.

And if he thinks telling this to Deion Sanders on the NFL Network is in any way helping the Dallas Cowboys then he's just dilusional.

ddh33

Reaction score
TO doesn't really care about helping the Cowboys. He cares about his image and reputation as one of the league's best receivers.

I'll put up with what I have to for a guy who makes plays. He better start making more plays thoughs, even if the opportunities aren't as great as he likes.

Reaction score
Dallas needs to incorporate more slants in their passing game because both 81 and RW2 are outstanding after the catch.

bigE79

Reaction score
Givincer;2434605 said:
I'm starting to think what he does best is not catch the football. Rather, it's complaining and making a scene. That's what he does best.
And the part that pisses me off the most is that he is one of the captains of the team and he pulls **** like this:bang2:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think also, Owens has just had some bad passes thrown to him. He's been getting passes thrown behind him, out of reach, etc... What can he really do with those kinds of passes?

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
T.O. has never made his living off slants, contrary to what numerous internet posters want to believe. He USED to be great after the catch, but those yards didn't come off slants.

At this point, though, he is basically a pure deep threat...and he has been for the past 3 years. His agility/elusiveness fell way off years ago.

Last year, practically all of his big plays came off vertical routes. They need to get back to that. I would have Romo take at least one deep shot to him early in every game...at worst, that'll get the corners to start giving him some cushion and make those quick hitches actually somewhat effective.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Boyzfan31;2434520 said:

I don't disagree with this but I'd like to see official stats to substantiate what in fact is TO's bread and butter...

Eskimo

Reaction score
TO is not someone you want to throw the ball over the middle of the field when a hit is on the way - his hands are not good and he doesn't handle contact well. He may be big but this is not his game.