TO Not Welcome Back Until...

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
BETHLEHEM, Pa. (Aug. 11, 2005) -- Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid called the ejection of Terrell Owens from training camp in-house business, adding the tempestuous wide receiver would not be permitted back to camp until the two of them fully discuss the problem.

Owens said he was just happy to have a week off.

"I'm going to work with T.O. and only T.O.," the Philadelphia Eagles coach said Aug. 11 in his first comments since Owens was sent home Aug. 10.

That was about all Reid said despite numerous questions on a variety of subjects about the playmaking, showboating Owens, who was asked to leave camp after a heated exchange with Reid.

Owens, meanwhile, emerged from his house in Moorestown, N.J., after noon on Aug. 11, signing autographs to the delight of several dozen fans who passed the time throwing footballs and yelling Eagles chants in his suburban cul de sac. Owens told reporters he had not spoken to the team.

"Why would I talk to them? They gave me a week off," he said.

When asked why he had the time off, Owens remained elusive.

"What do you think?" he said. "You are asking a dumb question right now."

Owens and agent Drew Rosenhaus -- who had arrived in midmorning -- departed for what the agent said was lunch and a meeting.

Suddenly, Owens pulling a Sharpie from his sock or posing on the Cowboys' star seems downright tame.

On Aug. 10, Owens told Comcast SportsNet that his ejection by Reid "was just a difference of opinion. I was defending myself."

Defending himself from what, it's not exactly clear.

Owens refused to say what the argument was about, and the Eagles issued only a brief statement saying Owens was not expected to return to the team until Aug. 17.

But this was the risk the Eagles were willing to take last year when they traded for Owens because they thought he could help them win a Super Bowl.

Now comes this.

For the fifth time in six days, Owens did not practice because of a groin injury suffered last week. Instead, he worked out with the assistant trainer for about 20 minutes, catching balls from a machine and doing some light running. He did not speak to reporters or acknowledge the fans who chanted his name.

Between sessions -- the Eagles had a special teams practice in the afternoon that Owens was not required to attend -- Owens and Reid started arguing during a meeting.

Reid asked the injured Owens to leave after their discussion, according to Rosenhaus, and Owens' publicist, Kim Etheredge.

Owens then got his belongings and cleared out of training camp at Lehigh University.

"If the truth needs to be told, then that's what I'll do," Owens said Aug. 10. "If he (Reid) wants me to be a man about it and have me really go on the air and really tell the people what happened, then I can. It was a difference of opinion."

With reporters camped on his lawn and helicopters hovering overhead while Owens played basketball and lifted weights, the circus scene only magnified the distraction Owens has become to the NFC champions. While Owens was an instant fan favorite last year for helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl, he's caused constant headaches for management because of his demand for a new contract.

He also damaged his relationship with Donovan McNabb when he took a shot at the quarterback "who got tired in the Super Bowl."

Owens is unhappy the Eagles have refused to redo his contract as he enters the second season of a seven-year, $48.97 million deal. He hired Rosenhaus and threatened to skip camp completely. Instead, Owens reported, then injured his groin Aug. 4.

He was day to day and the injury wasn't considered serious.

Owens also skipped a scheduled autograph session with the rest of the Eagles' receivers after practice Aug. 10.

"He was unable to attend because he was injured," Etheredge said.

The Eagles still won't show Owens the money he desperately wants. They have, however, shown the All-Pro wide receiver the door.

Since arriving at Lehigh, Owens has been distant on the field with his teammates. After signing autographs and slapping hands with fans on a nearly daily basis last year, Owens has jogged on and off the practice field, barely acknowledging their chants and screams.

"Just because I don't talk to everybody, that's up to me," Owens said. "Everybody needs to understand the situation is all business, it's nothing personal. The situation is between me and management. They know what's going on.

"I think some people are kind of ticked off because I haven't really said much. They don't pay me to go in there and talk to everybody and be friendly to everybody. They paid me to play and they paid me to perform. That's what I've been going in there and doing."

Last season, Owens had 77 receptions for 1,200 yards and a franchise-record 14 touchdowns before severely injuring his ankle late in the season. He missed the final two regular-season games and the first two playoff games before returning for the Super Bowl, in which he had nine receptions for 122 yards.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
one of the flakier talents of this or any time.

thing is, once the season starts... he'll go back to being one of the deadlier weapons, too.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
NYCowboy22 said:
"He was unable to attend because he was injured," Etheredge said.
What a dumb statement. If it wasn't all about TO, then why would they not roll him out in a wheelchair?

Mike 1967

Reaction score
"With reporters camped on his lawn and helicopters hovering overhead while Owens played basketball and lifted weights,"

And we wonder why some athletes think they own the world. Helicopters ? Gimme a break.

This reminds me of those stories from the middle ages about the offspring of Kings. They were so completely spoiled and had so much power that they were out of touch with reality. They many times became completely self centered egomaniacs with evil hearts.

TO is in some ways a victim of his own experience. We have created a monster. I'm surprised we don't have more of them.

PaEagleHater

Reaction score
I hear TO ate Reid's packed lunch, because he can't afford to buy food. My source is not too reliable though. They do not wish to be identified.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its not suprising when you sit down and think about it.
Athletes in the Pros have been stars since Jr High.
They have been pampered, spoiled, treated as special since they were in their early teens. They have been shown that they can get away with just about anything if they can play well enough. Schoolwork- who cares? Curfue- HA. Discipline- nope.
It is suprising that there are not more extreme cases like Moss, Owens, and some others- the whole system is set up to make a lot of them.

tnbk

Reaction score
PaEagleHater said:
I hear TO ate Reid's packed lunch, because he can't afford to buy food. My source is not too reliable though. They do not wish to be identified.

Only half true......he needed to take the lunch back home to his family.

bags

Reaction score
PaEagleHater said:

hahaha
give that man a raise! He's gotta feed his family!

Mike 1967

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that the primary reason that TO did not want to go to the Ravens last year was not because he wanted a SB Ring.

I think TO did not want to go to the Ravens because that is where he was being told to go.

The move last year by TO (IMO) had more to do with slighting the 49'rs than it had to do with wanting to play for the eagles.

TO does not like being told what to do. And nobody is going to tell him what to do.

Havent we all thought about winning the lottery at one time or another....and how we would love to walk out on our jobs if we won it. Part of that attraction is tied to the freedom of not having to be under the authority of someone else. If you are rich...you don't have to work for someone else.

I think this is partly what drives TO's phychi. He has money and he has talent and nobody is going to tell him what to do.

He is not going to be disrespected by his coach and the lowly OC is not going to talk to him unless given permission by TO.

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
one of the flakier talents of this or any time.

thing is, once the season starts... he'll go back to being one of the deadlier weapons, too.

Anyone here old enough to remember Joe Don Looney?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Respect is a two way street- you have to give it to get it. TO has never figured that out.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
TO is a big, hot, steamy, smelly turd that the Eagles fans deserve ... the guy will never win a Super Bowl - mark my words.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Truth is...TO got exactly what he wanted...said it himself, he didn't want to be there (TC) anyway.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
TO is a...for lack of more poetic, flowery words...deusch bag

i hope he breaks his leg again, with a horse collar, from RW, in Philly, on Monday Night, when the cowboys win, before we win the division(mathematically)

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MissionCoach said:
Truth is...TO got exactly what he wanted...said it himself, he didn't want to be there (TC) anyway.

This is probably true........but in the end, this will have a real impact on their abilty to win it all. You simply can't have this type of turmoil.

The Philly crowd/hoodlums vs. TO.

T'will be interesting, for a while.