Today in Cowboys History - Troy Aikman Was Drafted

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a day I'll never forget. I remember watching the 1989 Rose Bowl specifically because I wanted to see Aikman play. I told everyone he would be the next great Cowboys QB. I remember some of the "experts" on ESPN saying the Cowboys should draft Tony Mandarich. Luckily Jimmy knew you don't pass on franchise QB's and the new era in Dallas started off with a new super bowl QB. Here is a great article about the Cowboys Dynasty of the 90's and how it got going.

How 1989 Draft Shaped The Cowboys' Dynasty​

Jeff Sullivan Apr 06, 2022

For three decades, the Dallas Cowboys dynasty of the 1990s has been attributed for the most part to the Herschel Walker trade, a.k.a. "The Great Trade Robbery," and the subsequent draft picks that came along with it. That's partly accurate, too. No one is disputing that Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson, all selected with picks from the deal, didn't help win three Super Bowls.

However, somewhat lost to history is the 1989 NFL Draft, the one before the most memorable and lopsided trade since the Louisiana Purchase.

This was the first under Jimmy Johnson, less than two months after Jerry Jones purchased the team. The upheaval for the Cowboys and the NFL during the seven weeks between the sale in February and the draft that April is simply mind boggling. Jones buys the Cowboys, fires Tom Landry, hires Johnson, Pete Rozelle announces he will soon step down as league commissioner after 29-plus years, Ring of Honor and Hall of Famer Randy White retires after 14 seasons with Dallas, and Cowboys President Tex Schramm, either the first or second most powerful man in professional football for 30 years, resigns.

Whew. Quick breather.

In the midst of that whirlwind was the everyday storyline of the No. 1 overall pick. Having finished 3-13 the season before, the Cowboys were in possession of that first selection, and while they could have just come out and said what everyone sort of, kind of, knew anyhow, that they would select UCLA quarterback Troy Aikman, Johnson decided against that mindset.

More: https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/how-1989-draft-shaped-the-cowboys-dynasty

vo51ga374mbu6g5c7c01.jpg

fivetwos

Reaction score
Aikmans last UCLA game was in the Cotton Bowl, and he shook hands with Landry on the field afterward.

Not sure he ever played in a Rose Bowl game.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Last time Dallas used a first round pick on a franchise quarterback, a quarterback that led this team to three Superbowls........hmmmmmm you'd think this clown show of an organization might want to repeat that philosophy again........at some point!

I guess If Jerry was in charge, he probably would have selected Tony Mandarich instead!!

starfan1

Reaction score
And we’ve not taken a QB in the 1st round since.
To be fair they havent been in position too often. 2016, I think they traded up for Claiborne (what a waste) in 2012 not sure they were in position too often otherwise. They have missed some opportunities in latter rounds to at least take shots at QBs.

Cowboys also every year it seems find themselves needing multiple positions which may also prevent them from trying. Not gonna happen this year either most likely with 3 on the roster. Maybe they go for Sam Hartman late

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Just think, if Jerry had removed his head out of his behind this team would have been the first franchise to threepeat. Sigh....for one guys ego, what was sacrificed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A couple months later the Cowboys draft Steve Walsh in the first round.
Pretty sure that was a supplemental draft but it doesn't really matter does it we all know this is a nice look back but the heartbeat of this team is the offensive line and Emmitt Smith fact that Michael Irvin was already here a lot of the lineman were already here and just got reshaped this was a total team effort for these championships Troy Aikman was never asked to do what Tony Romo or Prescott is being demanded perfection in the playoffs where Troy and Roger never had to do that they had a absolutely dangerous run game offensive line defense some of the best coaching in NFL history so let's keep that in mind when we keep talking about just simply drafting a guy in the first round like it's gonna solve all our problems....

It won't 95 quarterbacks have been drafted since 2016 only one has won a Super Bowl....

So nostalgic memories are nice but I'm gonna keep saying this Troy was not what made this team special or better he was really good but he was carried by a great team if he would have been drafted by a team like some of the other quarterbacks who end up being busted because they never put a great team around them he probably just would have been an average quarterback look at his numbers I know they didn't ask him to do a lot but that's why his numbers look like they did this touchdown interception ratio wasn't good and how many yards per game in total touchdowns he has all of it on another team he would have been considered just a good quarterback...

Yes I'm gonna get blasted for that but that's why we call this a team game the perspective is needed when you're looking at how these teams were built how they were coached you can put Tony Romo or Prescott on a team like that and they can still win just the same... It's about timing in this league and guys are drafted to bad teams who never do anything to help them and they end up looking bad yes he was a great talent but he was not generational in my opinion....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time Dallas used a first round pick on a franchise quarterback, a quarterback that led this team to three Superbowls........hmmmmmm you'd think this clown show of an organization might want to repeat that philosophy again........at some point!

I guess If Jerry was in charge, he probably would have selected Tony Mandarich instead!!
Funny/not funny Jerry Jones GM story. Michael Irvin retired after the 1999 season. Jones wanted a star to replace his retiring star. He wanted Joey Galloway.

Seattle wanted Galloway to remain a Seahawk and slapped a franchise tag on him. Jones would not let that stop him and traded Seattle two first round picks for Galloway.

The football gods made Jones pay for that gamble but it did not stop with Galloway's season opening injury in 2000. Aikman retired after the season, so Jones needed a replacement.

All signs indicated Jones' 58-year old brain wanted a premium quality quarterback as Aikman's replacement. His trade with Seattle costed him the seventh overall pick in the 2001 NFL draft. Only two quarterbacks had a first-round grade going into Day one: Michael Vick and Drew Brees.

Atlanta selected Vick with the first overall pick. San Diego had traded first and fourth overall picks with the Falcons and selected future Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson. The Chargers had the first pick of the second round.

Meanwhile, Brees dropped like a stone during the first round. Pre-draft speculation had San Diego going quarterback with its first pick. That did not happen. Again, no team was biting on Brees in the first.

Jones had the SIXTH pick of the second round going into the draft. Who knows if he wanted Brees? Other quarterbacks, who had pre-draft grades floating between late second and early sixth rounds, were Josh Booty, Josh Heupel, A.J. Feeley, Mike McMahon, Jesse Palmer, Sage Rosenfels, Marques Tuiasosopo, Chris Weinke and...

...Quincy Carter, who was projected as a fourth round or lower selection.

Who knows whether Jones' wheeling-and-dealing started before or after the Chargers selected Brees at the top of the second round. What did happen was:
  • Jones constructed a trade, exchanging the sixth pick of the second round to the Colts for the #52 (second round) and #81 (third round) picks then
  • Jones got with Miami and traded the #52 pick for their #56 pick, which he used later to select Tony Dixon but before that happened
  • Jones engineered a two-for-one trade with New Orleans, swapping his #70 and the #81 (from the Colts) third round picks to move up into the second round at #53 and REACHED for...
...Quincy Carter.

Thus, Jones manufactured the premium quarterback he wanted, in order to replace his future Hall of Fame quarterback that retired, by unnecessarily wraggling and ending up with a quarterback picked at least two rounds too soon. Perhaps the better gamble would have been to sacrifice more of his already neutered available picks and tried to leapfrog the Chargers for the best available quarterback. Maybe he tried and other front offices laughed at him. No one will ever know. What everyone does know is who Jones gambled for and ended up with:

L3AlBgR.jpeg

Mad genius stuff.