Today In Strangeness

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: December 20th...

On this date in 1968, the notorious Zodiac Killer began his reign of terror by claiming the lives of Betty Lou Jensen and David Faraday in Benicia, CA. Despite a myriad of suspects and theories, the true identity of the Zodiac Killer remains an unsolved mystery. In recent years, there has been renewed hope that the case may someday be solved, as investigators have gleaned DNA evidence from the envelopes of the infamous letters that were sent by the murderer to the San Francisco press.

(go watch History channel series on Zodiac about Sullivan)

ROSS SULLIVAN

Why Suspected:  The 1966 murder of Cheri Jo Bates in Riverside, Ca. bore many similarities to the Zodiac killings. Staffers at the Riverside City College library, near where Bates’s body was found, said a coworker, Ross Sullivan, had made them uncomfortable and disappeared for several days after the murder. Sullivan also sported a crew cut and glasses similar to the composite sketch of the Zodiac. He moved to northern California in 1967 and was hospitalized several times for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

Sullivan wore an Army jacket and military-style boots like those that left footprints at the Lake Berryessa stabbings. Zodiac buffs also note that his letters mention “The Mikado,” by Gilbert and Sullivan, which could be a reference to Sullivan’s name.

Last edited:

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: December 22nd...

Light a torch for the long cold night- today is the Winter Solstice -- the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. It is said that as we enter the
fourth station of the year, light is reborn within the womb of darkness.
On this date in 1970, Elvis Presley paid a visit to the White House to suggest to Pres. Nixon that he be named "Federal Agent at Large" to help combat the
drug problem.

Winter Solstice
L97Z9VB.jpg

Ex President Nixon/Federal Marshall "wannabe" Elvis
utiBXy3.jpg

...also...

'Snow Tsunami' Filmed in WY:

A Wyoming woman with hopes of photographing some of the state's wondrous wildlife wound up witnessing an even more breathtaking scene when she spotted a 'snow tsunami.' Ariel McGlothin filmed the jaw-dropping optical illusion while she was exploring the wilderness near the town of Kelly.
It would appear her timing was perfect as the combination of the sun's location, a fresh snowfall, and fierce winds created the appearance of huge waves of snow rolling along the horizon. The sight proved to be so powerful that McGlothin actually became a bit unnerved by the 'tsunami' and wondered if she should flee the area lest she be swept up in the wintry wave.

...extra...

***And back by popular demand...Sophia
Well it's not that popular, and there was no demand but...anyway...

Interview With Sophia, An Artificial Super Intelligent Robot Wants Job, Family, Citizenship:

..ps...evidently this was before Saudi Arabia granted Sophia citizenship!

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
@ThemDangMartians, the 22nd is tomorrow, not today!

• 1988: Pan Am Flight 103 explodes over Scotland
  • 1891: James Naismith published the first rules of a new game called Basketball

Them

Reaction score
@ThemDangMartians, the 22nd is tomorrow, not today!

• 1988: Pan Am Flight 103 explodes over Scotland
  • 1891: James Naismith published the first rules of a new game called Basketball
...lol...yeah I know....it was just a typo...thanks for pointing it out....I'll send you a set of red pens form Christmas!...;)

Them

Reaction score
...anyway here's the 2nd part of that last Sophia vid....AI robots have always fascinated me.

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: December 22nd...(for sure!)

On this day in 1895, William Rontgen, a German professor of physics, took the first X-ray image. It was of his wife's left hand and showed the ring she was wearing. It was on Dec. 22, 1882, that an Edison employee, Edward Johnson, first used electric bulbs to decorate a Christmas tree.

the first x-ray
oZzNucm.jpg

................................................................................................................................................................>
CHRISTMAS 2017

100px-Music-eighthnote.svg.png

"So this is Christmas, and what have you done?!"
"Another year over, and a new one just begun."
That's a good question...evidently I can't go back.
All I can do is try to have a better year in this coming year; it can be done.
In reflection I can recall an old saying by an "unknown author

"It's impossible," said Pride
"It's risky," said Experience
"It's pointless," said Reason
"Give it a try," said the Heart

Though first I'll take some time off; I probably won't do to much... of course I'll keep up with "the Boys,"
and the rest of the NFL games...I think I'll start off by catching up on some of those "Christmas Stories"
airing on the Hallmark Channel...lol.
Have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year everyone...Later, TDM

2YTUuhz.gif

1nvFBqe.gif

5CmhVgf.gif

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Not near as .much as:
In WWI, France conscripted 21% of its populace of which 47% were casualties, of which 1 in 5 were K.I.A.
during WWII the United States suffered roughly a 2% casualty rate of it population, Russia suffered a 15% casualty rate as compared to it's population

( don't forget the past,gang!
Cuz' you know what they say happens when you do,,,o_O)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
...Today in Strangeness: June 8th...

On this date in 1949, George Orwell's prescient classic 1984 was published. On June 8, 1937 the world's largest and smelliest flower, the 8 1/2 foot tall 'corpse flower (Titan arum) bloomed at the Botanic Garden in New York. The flower's putrid odor is meant to attract pollinators such as carrion beetles and flesh flies found on the plant's native island, Sumatra.
(the corpse flower pic wins out over George Orwell's "1984"....but barely!)
amorptitan03.jpg

...also...

It appears that the source for the mysterious SOS signal discovered by Australian authorities
last month has been found. Spotted by a helicopter pilot flying over a remote location in Western
Australia in late May, the puzzling cry for help spawned a frantic search of the area that failed to
find anyone in distress.
Fortunately, it would seem that the case has now been solved and it apparently involves a tale worthy
of the eerie signal. Having seen the story of the mystery SOS circulating in the media, a man contacted
police in Australia and identified the sign-maker as his brother.

According to this individual, the signal had actually been created back in 2013 when his brother was aboard
a yacht which crashed in the area. Along with a female companion, the man was able to safely board a life raft
... that was then attacked by crocodiles!
Managing to escape that predicament, the duo eventually made to shore, where they spent several days waiting
for help to arrive and formed the SOS signal during that time.

Investigators say that they've been provided photos for the sign from the 2013 event by the man's brother and
are hoping to speak with him soon, although he is currently at sea and unable to communicate with them. While the
mystery of the SOS signal may be solved, it does raise a few other questions, such as why it took 4 years for
someone to see it as well as what kind of foolhardy individual returns to sea after surviving both a yacht sinking
and a crocodile attack.???
jAPICrM.jpg
That corpse flower is only 8-1/2' tall because it on a table....I call BS!!! Lol