Today In Strangeness

Them

Reaction score
...'Sup my Cowboy Homies...
Life is strange, and so are the days of our lives!...Each Weekday (hopefully before noon,)
I will post a little strange for that day; some are historically strange, but all are at least slightly strange...
Feel free to join in!...TDM

...Today in Strangeness: June 6th...

On this day, Susan B. Anthony was fined for trying to vote (1872). Three 50-pound snapping turtles were found in a Bronx, New York sewage treatment plant on this date in 1988. City workers suspected they'd been house pets flushed down the toilet years before.
TP1tbCn.jpg

...also...

As we approach the 40th anniversary of the legendary 'Wow!' signal, a new study appears to have finally determined its origin.

The puzzling radio signal has vexed scientists after it was noticed in August of 1977 by a radio astronomer, who noted its anomalous nature by scribbling the word 'Wow!' next to it in his notes.

Since that time, researchers have attempted to decipher the source of the signal, but continually fell short when it came to solving the mystery.

However, a newly-published, peer-reviewed paper by astronomer Antonio Paris may close the case for good.

Last year, Paris proposed the hypothesis that the signal emanated from a comet, which was not discovered until 2006, that had been passing through the area observed by the radio telescope.
JJSMX0X.jpg

Them

Reaction score
spacer.gif

Today in Strangeness:

On June 7, 1991, Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines exploded, generating a 4.5 mile-high ash column-- a precursor event to even larger eruptions in June. On this day in 1968, Lego opened their first 'Legoland' theme park, in their hometown of Billund, Denmark.
x0t0wCy.jpg

...also...

spacer.gif

Thylacine Search Set to Begin:

A highly-anticipated research project which just might provide proof that the Tasmanian Tiger still exists is scheduled to begin later this month. Spearheaded by a pair of professors from Australia's James Cook University, the impending scientific survey sparked a flurry of interest when it was announced earlier this year and resulted in numerous thylacine reports being submitted to the scientists behind the project.
JbvDOPO.jpg

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
spacer.gif

Today in Strangeness:

On June 7, 1991, Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines exploded, generating a 4.5 mile-high ash column-- a precursor event to even larger eruptions in June. On this day in 1968, Lego opened their first 'Legoland' theme park, in their hometown of Billund, Denmark.
x0t0wCy.jpg

...also...

spacer.gif

A highly-anticipated research project which just might provide proof that the Tasmanian Tiger still exists is scheduled to begin later this month. Spearheaded by a pair of professors from Australia's James Cook University, the impending scientific survey sparked a flurry of interest when it was announced earlier this year and resulted in numerous thylacine reports being submitted to the scientists behind the project.
JbvDOPO.jpg
Saw an episode of the Tasmanian Tiger on Arthur C. Clarke' show. Thing had double jointed jaws. I believe that screen shot is from the only footage of one ever recorded (confirmed).

They've been looking for that bad boy for several decades. That would be grand if they found it, and it actually has a small population. We're loosing too many animals as it is, now.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
This pic was supposed to be at the head of the topic.....but noooooooooooooo!
DtImQVT.jpg
I see a big face!

This is so cool and I'm glad you've took this on as it will be a daily read for me,I was kicking around the idea of doing this very same thing awhile back calling it
" the big box of trivial trivia"
But knew I wouldn't apply the necessary efforts into it, it would require, but I'll try to help with added input like " in the 18th century fully half of all horses died in transit of the Atlantic voyage from Europe to the states,and those that survived needed 2-3 weeks to recuperate before they could even be ridden"

somebody ought to post those outrageous numbers of all of the 27,000 + multiple loaded muskets collected after the Battle of Gettysburg

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
spacer.gif

Today in Strangeness:

x0t0wCy.jpg

...also...

spacer.gif

JbvDOPO.jpg
Man,I rented a Redbox movie that I believe had Willem Dafoe in the lead and he was paid to find those things ,can't be certain but think it was called "the hunter"

Them

Reaction score
...Today in Strangeness: June 8th...

On this date in 1949, George Orwell's prescient classic 1984 was published. On June 8, 1937 the world's largest and smelliest flower, the 8 1/2 foot tall 'corpse flower (Titan arum) bloomed at the Botanic Garden in New York. The flower's putrid odor is meant to attract pollinators such as carrion beetles and flesh flies found on the plant's native island, Sumatra.
(the corpse flower pic wins out over George Orwell's "1984"....but barely!)
amorptitan03.jpg

...also...

It appears that the source for the mysterious SOS signal discovered by Australian authorities
last month has been found. Spotted by a helicopter pilot flying over a remote location in Western
Australia in late May, the puzzling cry for help spawned a frantic search of the area that failed to
find anyone in distress.
Fortunately, it would seem that the case has now been solved and it apparently involves a tale worthy
of the eerie signal. Having seen the story of the mystery SOS circulating in the media, a man contacted
police in Australia and identified the sign-maker as his brother.

According to this individual, the signal had actually been created back in 2013 when his brother was aboard
a yacht which crashed in the area. Along with a female companion, the man was able to safely board a life raft
... that was then attacked by crocodiles!
Managing to escape that predicament, the duo eventually made to shore, where they spent several days waiting
for help to arrive and formed the SOS signal during that time.

Investigators say that they've been provided photos for the sign from the 2013 event by the man's brother and
are hoping to speak with him soon, although he is currently at sea and unable to communicate with them. While the
mystery of the SOS signal may be solved, it does raise a few other questions, such as why it took 4 years for
someone to see it as well as what kind of foolhardy individual returns to sea after surviving both a yacht sinking
and a crocodile attack.???
jAPICrM.jpg

haleyrules

Reaction score
I see a big face!

This is so cool and I'm glad you've took this on as it will be a daily read for me,I was kicking around the idea of doing this very same thing awhile back calling it
" the big box of trivial trivia"
But knew I wouldn't apply the necessary efforts into it, it would require, but I'll try to help with added input like " in the 18th century fully half of all horses died in transit of the Atlantic voyage from Europe to the states,and those that survived needed 2-3 weeks to recuperate before they could even be ridden"

somebody ought to post those outrageous numbers of all of the 27,000 + multiple loaded muskets collected after the Battle of Gettysburg
Certainly a face there!! Probably an alien!!

haleyrules

Reaction score
...'Sup my Cowboy Homies...
Life is strange, and so are the days of our lives!...Each Weekday (hopefully before noon,)
I will post a little strange for that day; some are historically strange, but all are at least slightly strange...
Feel free to join in!...TDM

...Today in Strangeness: June 6th...

On this day, Susan B. Anthony was fined for trying to vote (1872). Three 50-pound snapping turtles were found in a Bronx, New York sewage treatment plant on this date in 1988. City workers suspected they'd been house pets flushed down the toilet years before.
TP1tbCn.jpg

...also...

As we approach the 40th anniversary of the legendary 'Wow!' signal, a new study appears to have finally determined its origin.

The puzzling radio signal has vexed scientists after it was noticed in August of 1977 by a radio astronomer, who noted its anomalous nature by scribbling the word 'Wow!' next to it in his notes.

Since that time, researchers have attempted to decipher the source of the signal, but continually fell short when it came to solving the mystery.

However, a newly-published, peer-reviewed paper by astronomer Antonio Paris may close the case for good.

Last year, Paris proposed the hypothesis that the signal emanated from a comet, which was not discovered until 2006, that had been passing through the area observed by the radio telescope.
JJSMX0X.jpg
Snapping turtles make nice pets.;).

Them

Reaction score
...Today in Strangeness: June 9th...

It was on this day in 1822 that Charles Graham received the first patent for false teeth. On June 9th, 1944, a foxhound named Lena in Pennsylvania gave birth to a record litter- 23 puppies!
sHYzZQV.jpg

...also...

Odd Pit on Mars Stumps NASA:

Much like their counterparts in the rogue science community, NASA scientists occasionally spot strange anomalies on Mars that even they can't explain. In this instance, it is an odd-looking crater captured in a breathtaking photo taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The monstrous-looking chasm stands out amongst the smaller pits which dot the landscape of frozen carbon dioxide on the surface of the Red Planet.
GTdBUuQ.jpg