Today is the 25th Anniversary of Super Bowl XXX

fivetwos

Reaction score
I was there.

Tempe was really a cool place to see a game.

I remember the face value of the ticket was 175 but I paid 1000. Tickets were going for 400 as I was walking in.

Mike Saxon was sitting a few rows in front of me.

I'm pretty sure Diana Ross came in via helicopter for the halftime show.

mickswag

Reaction score
I was there.

Tempe was really a cool place to see a game.

I remember the face value of the ticket was 175 but I paid 1000. Tickets were going for 400 as I was walking in.

Mike Saxon was sitting a few rows in front of me.

I'm pretty sure Diana Ross came in via helicopter for the halftime show.
I was there as well. I was seven years old.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some additional numbers for a comparative perspective since we last appeared in a SB:
  • When the Cowboys last played in a SB, Dak Prescott was 2. More than half of the current Cowboys roster was not even born.
  • We have had 4 presidents elected since then.
  • The avg price of gasoline in 1996 was $1.23 per gallon.
  • The best selling new car in 1996 was the Ford Taurus.
  • Minimum wage in 1996 was approximately $4.75/ hr.
  • The Academy Award for Best Picture in 1996 was “Braveheart”
  • In Jan 1996, Jerry Jones was 53 years old.
  • In Jan, 1996, Mike McCarthy was 32, serving as the QBs coach for the chiefs.
  • In 1996, less than a fourth of the US population owned or used a cell phone.
  • On SB Sunday, 1996, my oldest son was in 7th grade. He’s now 37.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Honestly, I was sweating bullets.
We took on the persona of Jimmy Johnson when we won Super Bowls 27 and 28. Confident. Fearless. Bold. Powerful.
We took on the persona of Barry Switzer when we won Super Bowl 30. Clueless. Mistake-prone. Buffoonish. Confused.
At first, I thought the game would be a blow-out. But then that BS persona began, and we almost choked it away.
I could see it coming. And I was scared we'd be 3-0 vs. the Steelers in Super Bowls.
Then ... Neil O'Donnell came through for us. Whew!
Has Jerry Jones inducted him into the Ring of Honor yet?

Turk

Reaction score
Honestly, I was sweating bullets.
We took on the persona of Jimmy Johnson when we won Super Bowls 27 and 28. Confident. Fearless. Bold. Powerful.
We took on the persona of Barry Switzer when we won Super Bowl 30. Clueless. Mistake-prone. Buffoonish. Confused.
At first, I thought the game would be a blow-out. But then that BS persona began, and we almost choked it away.
I could see it coming. And I was scared we'd be 3-0 vs. the Steelers in Super Bowls.
Then ... Neil O'Donnell came through for us. Whew!
Has Jerry Jones inducted him into the Ring of Honor yet?
That might have been part of it but the brutal fact was this was in several ways almost a shadow of the 92 team. The lines were degrading; as were other parts of the D.

JayFord

Reaction score
Me and My dad were jumping around a house full of Washington Fans and saying “HOW YA LIKE EM BEANS!!!!”

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Man, if somebody had told me at 16 that I would make it to my 40's (I'm 41 now) without the Cowboys even making it to an NFC Championship Game, let alone a Super Bowl, I would have thought they lost their minds.

In hockey, I'm a Canadiens fan so in my first 26 yrs, they won 10 Cup,last 27 years none

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
I was 26, watched the game at Hummers in Amarillo with my Staubach throwback on. I was more relieved than happy that we won because I couldn't stand the thought of being 0-3 vs Pittsburg in the SB. I kept thinking that should have been 4 in a row, and I was in denial about it being the end of the road for that dynasty. The 92 team would beat any team that has ever played in the SB, and it makes me sad that we can't even darken the door of the NFCCG let alone the SB.

MarkP88

Reaction score
This is both depressing and a reminder of a great memory.

I was 28 when the Cowboys played in that game...I'm now 53.

But it was a great memory. I was there, and the story of how I was able to attend the game (I live in NY, then and now) is really the best part.

Early in that year, I'd hired a vendor to work on a project for our company; it turned out to be very lucrative for him. He kept telling me he owed, yadda yadda yadda; I told him it was just my job, no big deal. Finally he says, "if you could have anything, what would you want?" I told him, "I guess I'd love to have the Cowboys play in the Super Bowl and to be at the game." He responds, "you got it. If they go, you'll have a ticket." I just laughed and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward through the season. The clock is ticking down in the Championship Game. My phone rings and my brother picks it up: "Mark, it's for you. It's (vendor)." I literally start shaking. Like, no freaking way.

I get on the phone - he has his partner on with him. "Are you ready to go to Arizona? You have two tickets. You just need to get yourself there."

I'm blown away...but then I find out every hotel within 100 miles is totally booked. And a flight would cost me like a grand each way - way more than I could afford on my paltry salary. I ended up getting even luckier - another vendor got me super cheap airline tickets via his personal travel person, and my company's sister company had a hotel room nearby the game that they ultimately weren't going to use. So I was able to not sleep in the street (which I totally would have, because I am pathetic).

The best part of this whole thing was my friend (the vendor) understanding just how much it meant to me to have the chance to go to that game. The game became secondary to that gesture.

But man...never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be sitting here in 2021 with the Cowboys never having been close to the big game since then.

9of11

Reaction score
I went to see them play on during each season they won the Super Bowl. It was glorious to watch in person. One day I will attend a Super Bowl but only if the Cowboys are in it. I've been waiting 25 years....hopefully the drought ends...Ive been very blessed to have watched all 5 Championships of the Cowboys...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The thing I always think about is man could you imagine keeping all those players together for their whole careers?

Think about the Steelers of the 70's...there was no free agency...you played with them until you were cut, traded or retired.

Of course as soon as the Cowboys became great again free agency had started and the Cowboys got picked over at their zenith.

Even thought it was a fantastic run...I always think of what could have been.

And of course Jimmy leaving too...Vomitous.
I remember Jay Novacek being a plan B free agent aquisition in 1990, arguably one of the best FA aquisitions in the history of this franchise,, instantly became Aikmans favorite target and building block for that great offense.