Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I believe Mahommes would have recieved a contract similar to that without winning the Super Bowl.

I’m not really interested in discussing whether or not we believe Dak is worth it. I’m only interested in what the Cowboys organization believes.

And if you’re already sold on Dak then he won’t be cheaper next year.

Of course he won't because the CBA says that the tag next year will go up, that's how it works but that has nothing to do with what anybody thinks about Dak. That's a CBA thing.

Contracts next season will be based on adjusted cap so we don't really know what will happen there. It's assumed that players salaries will be static next year and that future cap increases will not be seen or not be seen increasing nearly as much, just depending on profits. So I think it's debatable, as to what Dak sees as a contract offer next year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This is opinion on your part, which is fine, but the truth is you don't know if that's a risk anybody is or isn't willing to take. You just don't know that but it's fine to state your opinion on it. My opinion is that much of this will be based on what McCarthy sees and what his evaluations are on Dak. I think that Dak was in a position in 2019 to sign a deal that proably would have netted him 30 to 33 on a five year deal with three years fully guaranteed and 50 mil plus up front. I believe that if he signs that deal then, which was a really good deal for him, he is free and clear on his career path because he is likely coming up on another contract in 2022, which sets him up for a the new TV deal, the CBA deal and likely gets him clear from the the Covid issues. He didn't do that so that's on him and his representation but if he does that, he's probably cemented in as the long term starter. But, he failed to recognize (or maybe he didnt?) that Garrett was vulnerable and could see the door. He failed to recognize, perhaps, that if that happens then a new HC is brought in and that situation introduces an outside opinion on Dak and his game. I mean, that's gonna happen now good or bad.

If Dak signs that deal in 2019, he is good IMO. I believed that at the time, I stated my opinion then and I do it now. This was a mistake to me but as I said earlier, it's done now.

Your math is a little fuzzy. The contract offered to Prescott just prior to week 1 in 2019 was for that 30mil-33mil for five years but those 5 years wouldn't be up until after the 2024 season not the 2022 season. When a player signs a new contract it starts after the current one expires so you don't start counting those 5 seasons until this season 2020. Even if they just forgot the last year of his rookie contract and started the new contract in 2019 those 5 years wouldn't be up until 2023, but they wouldn't just toss out that last season of his rookie contract. You're trying to equate a player who renegotiates a current contract which then will start with the current season to that of a new contract. The Cowboys weren't trying to renegotiate his rookie contract, but sign a new one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, he was in a "No Lose Situation" and he lost. I mean, I suppose you can say that he won because he got the Tag but I don't really see it that way. I suppose it's all in how a person sees it.
How does he lose? He doesn't exist for this one deal. Prescott is one of many clients he has, just one egg in a large basket.

And we don't know yet if Prescott is still his client. We do know Prescott gets 31.4M gross and France gets 628K this year.

The only way Prescott loses in this is if he has an off year and it is as bad a FA QB year as it was in 2020. The man is betting on himself but he has a history of doing that, the rise to be the DC QB is one of the more unusual ones we've seen but he does not lack confidence in himself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Your math is a little fuzzy. The contract offered to Prescott just prior to week 1 in 2019 was for that 30mil-33mil for five years but those 5 years wouldn't be up until after the 2024 season not the 2022 season. When a player signs a new contract it starts after the current one expires so you don't start counting those 5 seasons until this season 2020. Even if they just forgot the last year of his rookie contract and started the new contract in 2019 those 5 years wouldn't be up until 2023, but they wouldn't just toss out that last season of his rookie contract. You're trying to equate a player who renegotiates a current contract which then will start with the current season to that of a new contract. The Cowboys weren't trying to renegotiate his rookie contract, but sign a new one.

No, my math is not fuzzy at all. I think if he does that deal they never see the last year or maybe even two years of that contract because then, that contract works for restructure and that makes it much more attractive for the team. That's why the team wants the 5 year deal to begin with. I'm not confused here, I understand exactly why the Cowboys want a 5 year deal. So no.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course he won't because the CBA says that the tag next year will go up, that's how it works but that has nothing to do with what anybody thinks about Dak. That's a CBA thing.

Contracts next season will be based on adjusted cap so we don't really know what will happen there. It's assumed that players salaries will be static next year and that future cap increases will not be seen or not be seen increasing nearly as much, just depending on profits. So I think it's debatable, as to what Dak sees as a contract offer next year.
Do you believe he’ll sign for less than the 37.7 million franchise tag next year?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He's betting he will get a better offer from the Cowboys or be tagged at the new level or be free to seek employment elsewhere.

If it is true that time ran out and they couldn't get this done in time, chances are a deal gets done after this season without all of the drama.

Personally, I am glad a deal wasn't done and not just because I wanted him on the tag. I got really tired of all the crap they were playing in the media and that idiot son's announcements that "a deal is imminent" or "deadlines make deals". I have received less exposure to the idiot son than the idiot father and am already more tired of that empty suit. At least Booger can be entertaining at times. The son is a turd in the punch bowl.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Well, he was in a "No Lose Situation" and he lost. I mean, I suppose you can say that he won because he got the Tag but I don't really see it that way. I suppose it's all in how a person sees it.

How did he lose? He's getting this season about what he would have gotten had he signed that contract just before week 1 last season. I truly think he wanted to get a long term contract done and the proof is the final couple of hours on July 15 Prescott was talking directly with Jones. I think Prescott had decided that France was working more for himself and how much he would make off the deal he was pushing and less about what Prescott wanted so Prescott started talking directly with Jones and they ran out of time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not sure about what those on the inside think but if they're as sold as they've tried to convince us, why not just get the deal done? 4 years, 5 years, who cares? Worry about that later like they do everything else.

I think there are some on the inside that like Prescott, don't love him. I think there are some that would prefer to build around a Tier 1 QB as opposed to a Tier 2 that will need more weapons.

And that one fact still remains and the Daksters can't make it go away. He is not the same QB with a RB or WR out, he is weapon dependent. Nothing wrong with that, there is a limited number of Tier 1's but it takes a lot less hits to build around a guy like Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson. That, I believe, is the consensus of opinion about Prescott within the management of the Cowboys.
Totally agree but that’s not the message our organization has been touting with regards to Dak. And why they are being criticized.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How does he lose? He doesn't exist for this one deal. Prescott is one of many clients he has, just one egg in a large basket.

And we don't know yet if Prescott is still his client. We do know Prescott gets 31.4M gross and France gets 628K this year.

The only way Prescott loses in this is if he has an off year and it is as bad a FA QB year as it was in 2020. The man is betting on himself but he has a history of doing that, the rise to be the DC QB is one of the more unusual ones we've seen but he does not lack confidence in himself.

He loses because he didn't get a long term deal signed with Dak, he didn't get the two other deals signed either and he may not be the agent representing those players going forward. There deals are with CAA and not France so that's money out of his pocket for sure. CAA and WME are the largest agency out there so unless he is headed for WME, he likely will not have as much power behind him.

Now, if Dak decides to stick with France, which would be a mistake IMO, that's a different story. If Dak does that, then to me, this is a done deal and Dak is on his way out. That, to me, is a lose lose for Dak. JMO.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you believe he’ll sign for less than the 37.7 million franchise tag next year?
Depends on the guarantee and terms. He seemed dead set against anything over 4 years in this last round, does that drop to 3 the next time?

That Jackson and Watson other shoe has yet to drop as well. And while we rank Prescott according to the other QB's, I don't think he sees it as we do.

I also still think the other QB pay didn't have as much to do with this as the other Cowboys pay. The same thing happened to PIT with Bell, If a DE is worth 21M and a RB 15M and a WR 20M, what's a QB worth?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's betting he will get a better offer from the Cowboys or be tagged at the new level or be free to seek employment elsewhere.

If it is true that time ran out and they couldn't get this done in time, chances are a deal gets done after this season without all of the drama.

Personally, I am glad a deal wasn't done and not just because I wanted him on the tag. I got really tired of all the crap they were playing in the media and that idiot son's announcements that "a deal is imminent" or "deadlines make deals". I have received less exposure to the idiot son than the idiot father and am already more tired of that empty suit. At least Booger can be entertaining at times. The son is a turd in the punch bowl.
Yep. Agreed on Cheapskate Son.

And another reminder why the criticism for not getting a deal done this year if it’s eminent next year cause it’s only going to cost us more. Which defeats the purpose of our stand in the sand this year . With no guarantee we’re going to have the additional evidence some are seeking to validate . Along with risking he might not want to sign and entertain FA.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How did he lose? He's getting this season about what he would have gotten had he signed that contract just before week 1 last season. I truly think he wanted to get a long term contract done and the proof is the final couple of hours on July 15 Prescott was talking directly with Jones. I think Prescott had decided that France was working more for himself and how much he would make off the deal he was pushing and less about what Prescott wanted so Prescott started talking directly with Jones and they ran out of time.

We will see what Dak thought shortly. If Dak sticks with France, then we know the truth. If Dak sticks with CAA, then maybe it's true but either way you look at this, Dak has less money in his pocket this way, then he would have the other way IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depends on the guarantee and terms. He seemed dead set against anything over 4 years in this last round, does that drop to 3 the next time?

That Jackson and Watson other shoe has yet to drop as well. And while we rank Prescott according to the other QB's, I don't think he sees it as we do.

I also still think the other QB pay didn't have as much to do with this as the other Cowboys pay. The same thing happened to PIT with Bell, If a DE is worth 21M and a RB 15M and a WR 20M, what's a QB worth?
Watson and Jackson are more certain to bust the 40 million range. Probably closer to Mahomes . All without a championship.

While we might not agree Daks agents and supporters are certain to compare him to Watson and Jackson .

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Because of this season and all of the impact this thing is putting on revenues, and with both sides already agreeing on some money issues for this season, and how much next season's cap will be reduced, it wouldn't surprise me if some things like tag amounts may get adjusted for at least next season. With a reduction and maybe a complete loss of live gate revenue and the reports that there has even been a big drop in revenue from NFL properties, there could be agreed upon reductions in several things.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. On a long term deal, I think he will.
What are you basing this on besides your thoughts ?

He wasn’t willing to this year. What will be different.

The Market is going to be higher with Watson and Jackson . QB salaries aren’t based on their status .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I guess I don't believe that whole "Time Ran Out" story. That deal was on the table for months and it wouldn't have taken long for CAA to get it done if Dak had said, do the deal. I think that whole thing was more about PR then anything but we'll know soon enough. If Dak sticks with France, then we know there was never any real truth to that rumor. If he doesn't, then maybe there was but honestly, do you stick with CAA then because how in the heck do you have confidence in an agency that bungles a negotiation so badly, regardless of France? How does that deal not get done, even with just a few hours on the clock? That deal was on the table forever. You know that both sides knew every single in and out of that deal for months. I just don't buy the whole, time ran out thing. Heck, Dak has Tom Condon's number at CAA. It's not as if Dak couldn't have called somebody else at CAA and said, "Hey, I can't get hold of France and Dallas has a deal on the table that I want to take. Lets do this!"

Just doesn't track with me Coach. To many holes in that story to me.

JMO

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because of this season and all of the impact this thing is putting on revenues, and with both sides already agreeing on some money issues for this season, and how much next season's cap will be reduced, it wouldn't surprise me if some things like tag amounts may get adjusted for at least next season. With a reduction and maybe a complete loss of live gate revenue and the reports that there has even been a big drop in revenue from NFL properties, there could be agreed upon reductions in several things.
That’s all to be determined. We are then basically resting our future franchise qb on such. Not sure that’s a wise decision. Especially with new NFLPA agreement coming up in 2021 which has never decreased.