Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

Rayman70

Reaction score
Professional sports has been about money for my entire lifetime.

If you’re a sports purist you should stick to Amateur sports. I know many fans who have.
YEAH, BUT ITS ON THE BRINK OF BEING CANCELLED. So its just a matter of what we got. The NFL has forgotten what 1 thing they need to exist, FANS. The quality on the field from players is still good,except say..for tackiling and refereeing.

Swagger

Reaction score
I’m not arguing if it was a fair offer. For his talent level it probably was. I’m not a huge Dak supporter.

But that’s not the point. If you believe Dak is enough then you have to make the decision to over pay him or move on at some point. That’s the business of the NFL QB’s.

And all accounts I’ve seen from our ownership is they believe he’s enough.

The team effectively already lost an All Pro Corner to pay Prescott - they didn't want to have to let Elliott or Cooper walk as well.

A team can overpay a player e.g. if they have a QB on a rookie contract - Chargers blowing their load on Bosa.

If we overpay for Prescott then we will have to give up another asset.

The offer to Prescott indicates that the front office are of the view that he can win a Superbowl with the team but he needs talent across the board around him.

So if Prescott wants to be paid serious top dollar he might be able to elsewhere at a franchise that likely has a very slim chance of doing anything or he can sign with the Cowboys who have new coaches and a loaded roster at least on offense.

The reported offer wasn't exactly derisory.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I've said since last summer, the negotiation is more about Todd France than Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But we never budged off of our 33-35 million 5 year deal.

He’s going to want much more next year.

We might could have signed him for 37ish and 4 years.

This is not true. The team started at or around 27/28. They upped the offer to around 30/32. They upped it reportedly to 34/35 and even rumored to be in the 36 are with incentives. I don't think the team was inflexible with anything other then the years and lets be honest, you really can't make a deal work financially in 4 years with the kind of guaranteed money involved in that short a period of time without impacting the cap negatively. It's how the Cowboys do business and every agent, every player who is involved with the team knows this. You either want to be on the team or you don't. The timing of the contract is the timing of the contract and Dak is years away from a new TV deal and CBA so it is what it is. The guys who come up in a contract year after those things will benefit simply because of timing. That's how it is.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sure disappointed me. I had thought a lot of him before this clusterfudge, where Dak and his agent pretty much refused to negotiate.
Yep. Saw today that Holmes was wrong about Dak and france parting ways and got slammed for it on YouTube. I was hoping he was right but I guess he has taken his players with him. So Dak will have to fire him. I wonder why caa wanted to part ways with france.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is not true. The team started at or around 27/28. They upped the offer to around 30/32. They upped it reportedly to 34/35 and even rumored to be in the 36 are with incentives. I don't think the team was inflexible with anything other then the years and lets be honest, you really can't make a deal work financially in 4 years with the kind of guaranteed money involved in that short a period of time without impacting the cap negatively. It's how the Cowboys do business and every agent, every player who is involved with the team knows this. You either want to be on the team or you don't. The timing of the contract is the timing of the contract and Dak is years away from a new TV deal and CBA so it is what it is. The guys who come up in a contract year after those things will benefit simply because of timing. That's how it is.
Yeah the last offer was the one Dak wanted to sign but time ran out. Had Wilson average and goff guaranteed and 50 million in a signing bonus. That’s above what he likely deserves. I wonder if this is why caa and france parted. He couldn’t get deals done and the FO was done dealing with france after he yanked a deal that was in place last year. Dak has to get on the phone and do frances job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What’s not true? Did they ever budge about 33-35 million which was my post?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The team effectively already lost an All Pro Corner to pay Prescott - they didn't want to have to let Elliott or Cooper walk as well.

A team can overpay a player e.g. if they have a QB on a rookie contract - Chargers blowing their load on Bosa.

If we overpay for Prescott then we will have to give up another asset.

The offer to Prescott indicates that the front office are of the view that he can win a Superbowl with the team but he needs talent across the board around him.

So if Prescott wants to be paid serious top dollar he might be able to elsewhere at a franchise that likely has a very slim chance of doing anything or he can sign with the Cowboys who have new coaches and a loaded roster at least on offense.

The reported offer wasn't exactly derisory.
Totally agree. Let Dak go. He’s not worth it. But that’s not the position our ownership has been touting.

They are All In and wanted to sign him but couldn’t get it done.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah the last offer was the one Dak wanted to sign but time ran out. Had Wilson average and goff guaranteed and 50 million in a signing bonus. That’s above what he likely deserves. I wonder if this is why caa and france parted. He couldn’t get deals done and the FO was done dealing with france after he yanked a deal that was in place last year. Dak has to get on the phone and do frances job.

I have no idea but if a person looks at this and says, well, if the team just kicks in a mil more then the deal gets done, I've always wondered why they can't look at the other side of the glass and say, well, if the player just settles for a mil less, then the deal gets done, but it never seems to work that way. Whatever the reason, I believe those numbers were always there for Dak but I said when Dak hired CAA and France that this wouldn't end well. I said that I didn't like or trust CAA and France and that people should go out and find out about those guys. Dak knew who he was hiring when he went out and signed with them. As far as I'm concerned, this was always going to go one way because that's how France works. But whatever. It's done now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
YEAH, BUT ITS ON THE BRINK OF BEING CANCELLED. So its just a matter of what we got. The NFL has forgotten what 1 thing they need to exist, FANS. The quality on the field from players is still good,except say..for tackiling and refereeing.
If it’s any comfort to you remember that’s it’s only a small portion of Star players who are paid gaudy numbers. About 80% of the NFL are paid 1 million or less. An amount most fans wouldn’t place themselves in harms way over.

blueblood70

Reaction score
a month too late, maybe hes signed but IMHO im glad i still want to see Dak with MM for year and see how this story unfolds before he gets that mega deal.. he got 31 mil to play this season, Cowboys have their starter, and if we have a full football season, fans get what they want.. not really a concern for anyone really.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What’s not true? Did they ever budge about 33-35 million which was my post?

I believe your post said the following:

But we never budged off of our 33-35 million 5 year deal.

Well, they didn't start at 33-35, they started lower and came up to that and I've already said that it was rumored that a deal was on the table for 36 with incentives as well so I don't know that you can say that the team never budged but more to the point, why should they have to? They had a deal with Dak and France and Dak and France backed out. That's no way to do business and the response from the team was very predictable. To me, this is not the fault of the Cowboys at all.

That's how I see it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have no idea but if a person looks at this and says, well, if the team just kicks in a mil more then the deal gets done, I've always wondered why they can't look at the other side of the glass and say, well, if the player just settles for a mil less, then the deal gets done, but it never seems to work that way. Whatever the reason, I believe those numbers were always there for Dak but I said when Dak hired CAA and France that this wouldn't end well. I said that I didn't like or trust CAA and France and that people should go out and find out about those guys. Dak knew who he was hiring when he went out and signed with them. As far as I'm concerned, this was always going to go one way because that's how France works. But whatever. It's done now.
I wonder where it goes from here. I think once they got on the phone with Dak they worked out a structure for what Dak wants and after this season they will sign him with or without france. I believe JJ had a handshake deal done with france and after the fins game france changed his mind and wanted more money because of how well the team was doing. Bad move for france. Like you said Dak knew what he was doing. Dez did the same thing when he hired that other agency. No more home town discounts. lol..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wonder where it goes from here. I think once they got on the phone with Dak they worked out a structure for what Dak wants and after this season they will sign him with or without france. I believe JJ had a handshake deal done with france and after the fins game france changed his mind and wanted more money because of how well the team was doing. Bad move for france. Like you said Dak knew what he was doing. Dez did the same thing when he hired that other agency. No more home town discounts. lol..

I think the deal is what it is, unless Dak breaks out and gets us to the Super Bowl. If that happens and if the numbers support a bigger contract, then I can see Dak getting offered a bigger/better deal but I honestly believe that the deal Dak got offered was better then any other QB in the NFL already. I think that deal is still out there for him if he shows that he is the QB for this Head Coach. If not, the team will likely allow him to go out and find his deal and we'll see a trade IMO. That's what I would guess and honestly, that's what I thought was always going to happen eventually.

JMO

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because it’s the Mgmt’s job to get a deal done . Assuming they want to retain the player. Who can always seek a contract elsewhere.

In the end if another million or two was all that was needed then the Cowboys will ultimately end up paying more and why they’ve been criticized if they’re intent on retaining him.

If not then we can all stick our chest out holding our ground not over paying a less than Elite qb. And begin looking for our next franchise qb while enduring the effects of possibly not having one.

This is why the Cowboys have been criticized because we are under the assumption they are sold on Dak. For us fans who aren’t. Then it appears a solid decision.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think the deal is what it is, unless Dak breaks out and gets us to the Super Bowl. If that happens and if the numbers support a bigger contract, then I can see Dak getting offered a bigger/better deal but I honestly believe that the deal Dak got offered was better then any other QB in the NFL already. I think that deal is still out there for him if he shows that he is the QB for this Head Coach. If not, the team will likely allow him to go out and find his deal and we'll see a trade IMO. That's what I would guess and honestly, that's what I thought was always going to happen eventually.

JMO
Totally respect that opinion and it could shake out that way. But IMO the deal is done in structure after there phone call. Obviously if they make the SB then the numbers will go up. But not as much as people may think, the deal offered to him already had more money in it then mahomes is going to make over the next 4 years. At this point no other team would offer him that. These QBs that are piling on this type of money have a SB ring or have been to one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

JMO
You didn’t believe Jerry was seeking a HC who was also sold on Dak. The intention was always to bring in a new HC and let him evaluate after one season whether he was our future.

That Jerry wasn’t sold yet? That certainly goes against everything Jerry and the Cowboys organization have been touting .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Totally respect that opinion and it could shake out that way. But IMO the deal is done in structure after there phone call. Obviously if they make the SB then the numbers will go up. But not as much as people may think, the deal offered to him already had more money in it then mahomes is going to make over the next 4 years. At this point no other team would offer him that. These QBs that are piling on this type of money have a SB ring or have been to one.
That’s because Mahommes still has two years left on his current contract.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because it’s the Mgmt’s job to get a deal done . Assuming they want to retain the player. Who can always seek a contract elsewhere.

In the end if another million or two was all that was needed then the Cowboys will ultimately end up paying more and why they’ve been criticized if they’re intent on retaining him.

If not then we can all stick our chest out holding our ground not over paying a less than Elite qb. And begin looking for our next franchise qb while enduring the effects of possibly not having one.

This is why the Cowboys have been criticized because we are under the assumption they are sold on Dak. For us fans who aren’t. Then it appears a solid decision.

No, that's wrong. It's the management's job to get the best deal done for the team. It's not necessarily managements job to get a deal done period.

I think it's interesting that you paint a picture the way you do, chest out...... yadda yadda ........ That's not how I see it but I suppose it might be how you see it. Not every deal is meant to be done and that's the truth.

The Cowboys are criticized no matter what they do so who cares? I certainly don't. I never thought that negotiating with France and CAA was a good idea and guess what, looks like that was the truth. Not every deal is meant to be done and this may be one of those. Dak is not the last QB or the only QB who can win in Dallas IMO. The team can decide what they want to do here but at the end of the day, Jerry had a deal and Dak and France backed out. If they don't do that, this deal is done so how in the world anybody says this is on Jerry is beyond me. This is on Dak and France and CAA. But believe what you wish.