Tolbert gaining crucial developmental reps at OTAs in Lamb's absence, poised to be WR3

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GREAT article about Tolbert. I recommend taking a couple of minutes to read the entire thing.

Tolbert is determined to break out in Year 3
By Garrett Podell
5/24/2024

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys All-Pro wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, who led the NFL with 135 catches in 2023, being absent from organized team activities (OTAs) provides the club with a fantastic opportunity to evaluate its wide receiver position, especially important in an offseason in which it released former No. 3 wideout Michael Gallup.

"He's ready to go," said Cooks of Tolbert on Wednesday. "Whatever the expectations are for him out there [in 2024], I'm telling you he's gonna crush it. He's ready. I look forward to him being able to get that opportunity. It's the way that he goes to work. I'm a firm believer that the harder you work, when you have a great work ethic, it's going to pay off. I think you've seen that over the last couple years, and I think that time is now for him."

Tolbert went from observing Cooks' habits and digesting McCarthy's updated offensive playbook in 2023 to being a frequent target of Prescott's early and often in the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work during Wednesday's OTAs.

"Making plays early on in OTAs," Cooks said when asked to point to an example of Tolbert's growth. "The way that he's able to talk about a route. The way he's able to tell a quarterback how he sees things. He's not shy anymore. He's able to go up to Dak and say, 'Hey I seen this this way.' I think it's awesome to see him grow in that aspect."

"I think I was still learning as well [last year]," Tolbert said. "But this year, I kind of have a grip of plays and things that Coach McCarthy would want. So now it's just about continuing to grow and continuing to build those nuances that could help me on and off the football field. ... My confidence is through the roof and so, just going out every day and like I said, doing what I know I can do and having fun with it. That's a big point, just having fun with what you're doing and being confident in what you're doing. I'm having fun, I'm confident, continuing to grow every day, continuing to build that chemistry with Dak and my teammates as well. Showing my value in this offense."

More: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...tas-in-ceedee-lambs-absence-poised-to-be-wr3/

jalen-tolbert.jpg

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
GREAT article about Tolbert. I recommend taking a couple of minutes to read the entire thing.

By Garrett Podell
5/24/2024

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys All-Pro wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, who led the NFL with 135 catches in 2023, being absent from organized team activities (OTAs) provides the club with a fantastic opportunity to evaluate its wide receiver position, especially important in an offseason in which it released former No. 3 wideout Michael Gallup.

"He's ready to go," said Cooks of Tolbert on Wednesday. "Whatever the expectations are for him out there [in 2024], I'm telling you he's gonna crush it. He's ready. I look forward to him being able to get that opportunity. It's the way that he goes to work. I'm a firm believer that the harder you work, when you have a great work ethic, it's going to pay off. I think you've seen that over the last couple years, and I think that time is now for him."

Tolbert went from observing Cooks' habits and digesting McCarthy's updated offensive playbook in 2023 to being a frequent target of Prescott's early and often in the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work during Wednesday's OTAs.

"Making plays early on in OTAs," Cooks said when asked to point to an example of Tolbert's growth. "The way that he's able to talk about a route. The way he's able to tell a quarterback how he sees things. He's not shy anymore. He's able to go up to Dak and say, 'Hey I seen this this way.' I think it's awesome to see him grow in that aspect."

"I think I was still learning as well [last year]," Tolbert said. "But this year, I kind of have a grip of plays and things that Coach McCarthy would want. So now it's just about continuing to grow and continuing to build those nuances that could help me on and off the football field. ... My confidence is through the roof and so, just going out every day and like I said, doing what I know I can do and having fun with it. That's a big point, just having fun with what you're doing and being confident in what you're doing. I'm having fun, I'm confident, continuing to grow every day, continuing to build that chemistry with Dak and my teammates as well. Showing my value in this offense."

More: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...tas-in-ceedee-lambs-absence-poised-to-be-wr3/

jalen-tolbert.jpg
I am not shooting the massager, and thanks good chap for posting.
Well, then. Tolbert is learning and growing. In his 3rd year.

So now it's just about continuing to grow and continuing to build those nuances.".

My regrets I was late to the "I'm #3 party" for Jalen.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score

By Garrett Podell
5/24/2024

jalen-tolbert.jpg
To me it looks like they have a ton of 3 and 4 guys and they are better without Gallup.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

By Garrett Podell
5/24/2024

jalen-tolbert.jpg
Great read! Thanks for posting. Sounds like Tolbert is ready to take the next step. Can’t wait to see it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have a boatload of guys to chose from for the 3 and 4 spots.
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Cropper
Flournoy

They all have upside. 5 guys for 2 spots.
Yes for spots 3 and 4.
Depending if they keep 5 but usually keep 6 WR’s. They kept as many as 7 at one point. However I think one was injured but they did not want to put him on IR. So 2 others from that list can make the team as well.

Don’t forget Tyron Billy Johnson the speedster.
And depending what version of the roster one believes. John Stephen’s is listed as a WR and as a TE.

JBS

Reaction score
He might actually get 300 yards receiving this year. Yay!!

quickccc

Reaction score
They have a boatload of guys to chose from for the 3 and 4 spots.
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Cropper
Flournoy

They all have upside. 5 guys for 2 spots.
They really have three guys competiting for No.3

Turpin is only gonna be a "spot " gimmick No..4 guy that''ll provide jet sweeps and occasional deep vertical play
hIs greatest value is easily on returns - which will be interesting given the new special teams rule.

i dunno if we have a guy should Brooks gets injured

i want to see what makes Tolbert special - is he just a serviceable possession guy ? does he specialize in double moves, separation, vertical , run after catch ... is he Ceedrick Wilson ?
Unlike Ceddy, Tolbert does not provide is special teams value .. we saw that. so he is essentially a Gallup like role

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tolbert could challenge Cooks for WR2.
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out by the end of the year.

Tolbert started taking snaps away from Gallup last year.

Could he be ready for WR2 role a year from now?

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
When we look at the receiving targets don't forget about Ferguson. He very well can have the biggest jump of any player on offense.
Lamb, Ferguson and Cooks will be the first three options and then Tolbert. The WR room is going to have to be sorted out a little bit and Cropper, Flournoy, Brooks and Durdan are going to have to fight for it.