Tom Landry, something u guys might like to know

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Ive always admired Tom Landry, thought you might like to know this. I am sure your aware he was a bomber pilot with the legendary 8th Air Force, during World War 2. What you might not know, is that most pilots went to 25 missions, then went home. Landry went up to 30 missions. Also, one emergency landing Landry was in, his plane all shot up, he had to do an emergency landing, and both wings were sheared off. Also, he was honored by the Air Force, and allowed to fly any airplane he wanted later in his life. Just thought you guys might like to know.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Any real Cowboy fan already knew about Landry and his war service.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

:rolleyes:

Yes, all the people that didn't know this... they aren't "real" cowboys fans.

Again, :rolleyes: .

Rockytop6

Reaction score
I think the most telling statment I ever heard about Tom Landry was when his nine feet statue was unveiled at Cowboy stadium and his wife Alicia said
"I remember him as being taller than that".

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that Joe. One can never get enough education on a topic as near and dear to my heart as Coach Landry.

I did not know he was honored in such a way by the USAF. After all, it was not the ** he served with but rather the Army Air Corp.

Thanks again Joe.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Thank you for posting that Joe. One can never get enough education on a topic as near and dear to my heart as Coach Landry.

I did not know he was honored in such a way by the USAF. After all, it was not the ** he served with but rather the Army Air Corp.

Thanks again Joe.

Then you aren't a "real" cowboys fan! :)

gbrittain

Reaction score
burmafrd said:

I am willing to bet there thousands and thousands if not millions of young Cowboy fans who do not know about Landry's military service or that he flew 30 instead of 25 missions.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
I still laugh when I hear the jab he took at Jerry in his HOF speech.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I like Landry talking about his first season in Dallas:

"Our guys were afraid to touch the football, it was so dangerous," Landry later remembered. "Eddie LeBaron [the quarterback] used to raise his hand for a fair catch before taking the snap from the center."

Something you may not know is that after he retired he was a pitch man for Abercrombie & Fitch. Something tells me their ad campaign was a little different back then compared to today.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Then you aren't a "real" cowboys fan! :)

Yes it's true. When cut I do bleed Burnt Orange but hey, my field dressing is always Matallic Silver Blue and White, with little stars all over.

:laugh2:

parchy

Reaction score
Has anybody else read 'Landry's Boys?' It really vilifies Landry. I don't know much about Golenbock, but his view of the team is really negative. It's mostly oral, so it's all interviews, but the parts where he does actually write are almost always slagging on Landry. "The players hated him...he couldn't stick with quarterbacks...he was indecisive..."

Not one damn positive thing. Needless to say I couldn't finish it.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
parchy said:
Has anybody else read 'Landry's Boys?' It really vilifies Landry. I don't know much about Golenbock, but his view of the team is really negative. It's mostly oral, so it's all interviews, but the parts where he does actually write are almost always slagging on Landry. "The players hated him...he couldn't stick with quarterbacks...he was indecisive..."

Not one damn positive thing. Needless to say I couldn't finish it.

Couldn't blame ya. I admit I don't know everything about Landry since my knowledge is mostly Jimmy Era onwards. But any Coach, who had that kind of unprecendet consecutive winning seasons, cannot be hated by his players. That would be such an idiotic statement if he said that about Coach Landry.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Couldn't blame ya. I admit I don't know everything about Landry since my knowledge is mostly Jimmy Era onwards. But any Coach, who had that kind of unprecendet consecutive winning seasons, cannot be hated by his players. That would be such an idiotic statement if he said that about Coach Landry.

There are always going to be a few players that hate the coach. That happens on every team, but the majority of Cowboy's players either liked or at least respected Landry. Same with Jimmy Johnson or Vince Lombardi. You can't please everyone and the coaches job isn't to please any player, it is to win games.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Does anyone know about Robert Kalsu? He was a buffalo bill guard that gave up football to fight in Vietnam. He died in combat. He was the original Pat Tillman, although I'm not taking anything away from Tillman. He too gave the ultimate sacrifice.

rynochop

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
There are always going to be a few players that hate the coach. That happens on every team, but the majority of Cowboy's players either liked or at least respected Landry.

Exactly. Even today when you hear Pearson, or Charley Waters or whoever on the radio they always refer to him as Coach Landry.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
"Discipline won close games; both Cliff and I were convinced. Tom Landry believed in discipline. He was descpline, and all those who worked for him were disciplined______or they were gone. We playersnot only held him in awe, we also feared him in a strange way. Why? It was the aura and perfection that he projected. His expectations of us planted a fear of unimaginable consequences if we failed, though it wasn't fear of his retribution, it was the fear of disappointing him. We didn't want to let him down, especially with mental mistakes."

Tales from the Dallas Cowboys......Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters.

That says it all about what 99.9% of his players thought of Coach Landry.

Haley94

Reaction score
When i was Kid i had a comic book that told told the whole laundry story from WWII to the Giants to the Dallas Cowboys. It had a christian theme to it. Does anyone remember this?

Manster68

Reaction score
That had to have ben a gut-wrenching experience flying the B-17 unprotected over Germany - especially in the daylight hours that the American pilots had to endure.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Haley94 said:
When i was Kid i had a comic book that told told the whole laundry story from WWII to the Giants to the Dallas Cowboys. It had a christian theme to it. Does anyone remember this?

I have that comic book to this day.