Tony Dorsett

dupree89

Reaction score
I heard a great interview today on WFAN in NY with Tony Dorsett. Couple of intersting parts:

1. When he was set to be drafted, Tampa Bay had already said they were taking Ricky Bell # 1. Seahawks were # 2. He really didnt want to play in Seattle behind an expansion offensive line. So he and his agents made sure to get it out into the media that if Seattle took him, he was going to play in Canada. Then the deal went down and he couldnt believe it.

2. The 99 yd TD against Minnesota. It was his fault that Dallas had only 10 players on the field. When he was on the sideline, he was told what the first play was going to be. He messed up and thought it was a single back formation. He ran onto the field and saw Ron Springs in the huddle. He told him to get off the field, so Springs left. Tony then said that after the game Springs told him that as soon as the play started, he realized he was supposed to be on the field and was going to jump in and start blocking, but was pretty sure they'd call a penalty. LOL. Then Dorsett says...So sooner or later, there will be a long TD run to match mine, but I can always say that it took them 11 players and it only took 10 Cowboys to pull it off. o_O

popp1234

Reaction score
Good little read. I remember that draft and I definitely remember the 99-yard TD run. I realize more and more how truly fortunate I am to have watched some of the greatest Cowboy players and teams play the game the way it should be played. Lord knows, watching this team over the last several years make those games and players seem even more precious.

goshan

Reaction score
99 Yard Run was actually not that exciting. Dorsett really didn't make any moves and it was poor tackling by the Vikes on the sidelines.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What made the 99 yard possible is great blocking from a referee. He threw a great block on the LB coming over for the tackle and TD was off. Still remember that play like it happened yesterday.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
99 Yard Run was actually not that exciting. Dorsett really didn't make any moves and it was poor tackling by the Vikes on the sidelines.

Maybe not for you.

birdwells1

Reaction score
What made the 99 yard possible is great blocking from a referee. He threw a great block on the LB coming over for the tackle and TD was off. Still remember that play like it happened yesterday.

I remember good downfield blocking by Drew and I think we lost that game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep sitting in a bar in orange california watching it on the old projection big screen TV, it was one of my all time favorite Cowboy moments.