Tony Dorsett's greatest run - according to Dorsett

starfan1

Reaction score
I like Ezekiel Elliott more than many on here, but man, having a back who could cut away from contact and turn on the after-burners the way Dorsett could would be nice. I don't want to bad-mouth Elliott because I don't know if we've had a back who could take a clear lost-yardage play like he can and turn it into a positive gain by powering through tacklers (maybe Emmitt), but that ability to break ankles and burst away is just special. Pollard has some of it, but not to the degree of Dorsett, who also showed surprising power at times for his size.
No one had that skill like dorsett in a cowboys uniform and very few others . I loved watching him he reminded me a bit of gale sayers

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett is my sports hero.

Him and Barry Sanders were the best 185lb running backs to ever don a uniform.

Tony’s greatest gift was his acceleration. I’ve yet to see a back match his. He was a joy to watch.

Dorsett was more like 175lbs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No one had that skill like dorsett in a cowboys uniform and very few others . I loved watching him he reminded me a bit of gale sayers

True. You don't find Hall of Famers every day. We were blessed to have Dorsett and Emmitt and it's probably unfair to hold most backs to that standard. We tend to expect Elliott to be on that level because of where he was drafted and how much he's being paid, but not all first-round backs are Hall of Famers and how much Elliott is paid is a product of how much the league makes, market value and collective bargaining.

Despite my comment, I just want Elliott to be the best version of himself for us. If he can do that, play like he was last season before getting hurt, that really should be good enough, especially with Pollard being one of the better No. 2 backs we've had IMO. Get back to running the ball effectively and it helps the passing game and the defense.

It's not yesterday's NFL where having a Dorsett and Smith was vital to success, but it certainly helps still to have a strong running game.

IceBowler

Reaction score
The Cards had more than their share of problems dealing with Tony. :laugh:
Indeed - but do you recall how much trouble we had with number 84 .. Roy Green? Dude saved all his highlight reels for games against us! I hated that guy!! :banghead:

IceBowler

Reaction score
The other thing TD did was manage to never give defenders a good, clean shot at him. The smoothest, slickest & prettiest runner I ever saw.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
He’s talking about the spin move where the two defenders tackled each other . I know I saw the game.