Tony Pollard needs more snaps

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
He's 6 foot and 215lbs. He's not as small as I thought (by comparison Zeke is listed at 6 foot and 228lbs).

He had 86 carries for 455 yards (5.3 yard average). He has soft hands too, catching 15 of 20 balls for 107 yards (7.1 yard average).

Small sample sizes but I could really see his game go to another level in Kellen Moore's offense (with some West Coast offense influence mixed in). He just needs more snaps.

He's not the load Zeke is but he's way more elusive, runs better pass routes, and seems to have better hands.

Zeke's punishing style won't last long. There's a chance there could be a "RB controversy" after this season if Zeke doesn't get back to his rookie weight.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Zeke can't separate on actual routes as a receiver, but he has very good hands and great spatial awareness to know where the sideline is and where the under-zone LB is lurking. He makes a great checkdown option

I've heard talk of Pollard playing WR but I just don't see it - he looked raw at it even at Memphis. I bet you Kyle Shanahan could get him a billion yards of YAC, but Pollard couldn't function as a slot in something like the 2019 Cowboys offense.

funkytown

Reaction score
Pollard is a weapon that hopefully our new coach can figure out how to use better. Would be nice to see more screens out of the backfield and even some time in the slot.

More touches for Pollard, more snaps for Jarwin, and the addition of CeeDee Lamb all mixed in with new concepts from McCarthy. This offense has the chance to be unstoppable.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If it helps keep Zeke fresh and mite efficient with his carries then it should be done. People always claim more carries = lower yards per carry. Spread the rushing attempts out and both RBs can be more efficient.

John813

Reaction score
He is more elusive and probably faster but you got to remember Zeke in a lot of those games did the early work to get the defenses tired. His two biggest games he came into the second half of blowouts in Miami and LA. Still, credit him for eclipsing 100 yards but those two defenses were either terrible the entire year or bipolar.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Gonna be tough for him. Lamb, Gallup, Cooper and Zeke gotta get their touches......then Jarwin should get some....I thought maybe Pollard could see more touches but we have so many weapons now.......whatever Zeke doesn't get or want.........it will be his barring injury.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’d like to see him utilized more in the passing game.

I’d also like to see him get about 30-35 extra carries this season which equates to about two less carries a game for Zeke which should keep him fresh for a post season run.

Last edited:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He's 6 foot and 215lbs. He's not as small as I thought (by comparison Zeke is listed at 6 foot and 228lbs).

He had 86 carries for 455 yards (5.3 yard average). He has soft hands too, catching 15 of 20 balls for 107 yards (7.1 yard average).

Small sample sizes but I could really see his game go to another level in Kellen Moore's offense (with some West Coast offense influence mixed in). He just needs more snaps.

He's not the load Zeke is but he's way more elusive, runs better pass routes, and seems to have better hands.

Zeke's punishing style won't last long. There's a chance there could be a "RB controversy" after this season if Zeke doesn't get back to his rookie weight.

Agreed that Pollard should be incorporated more . Sorry Zeke lovers but he just seems mentally and physically different since signing his extension and now Dak is following suit.

Give Pollard the chance to show what he can do with more carries/catches as Zeke is gone after the 2022 season (or as early as after the 2021 season) based on his age, treadwear, and contract.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lol!

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Pollard definitely deserves more touches. That kid is waiting to explode if utilized correctly. C'mon Kellen make it happen. I suspect some slot work coming his way too

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

I was just looking at some historical data, specifically the late 70s DC backfield. I vividly remember that the phrase "a lot of weapons" was first used then in regards to this backfield. Someone tv talking head made that phrase up and they still use it 45 years later constantly. But it began then. Dorsett who got up to 2nd all time in rushing at one point and made the Hall of Fame only got about 60% of the teams running back carries each year. They had Scott Laidlaw, Ron Springs, Timmy Newsome, James Jones and Robert Newhouse (Newsome replaced Laidlaw). That's what got that phrase "a lot of weapons:" started. Basically I agree Pollard should get more carries. Emmitt was a fluke in how he could get such a high % of the teams carries year after year. As much as we paid Zeke the ball does need to be shared more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The addition of the Lamb is going to continue to limit Pollard’s snaps. Had we not use our number one pick on a WR Pollard could have been used in the slot more. The only way to get him more snaps is as a receiver but there’s not going be a lot of balls to go around with the receivers we have. He’s just going to have to continue to make the most of his opportunities.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gonna be tough for him. Lamb, Gallup, Cooper and Zeke gotta get their touches......then Jarwin should get some....I thought maybe Pollard could see more touches but we have so many weapons now.
I just don't see how he will get many more touches than he did last year either.

Maybe the Cowboys won't punt this year. One way to get more offensive snaps.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I will say it's more about when Pollard gets his touches, and the playcaller is gonna have to feel out those situations. Pollard is a weapon to be used at just the right moment.

I think having TP be the passing situation (3rd down) RB could puts even more stress on defenses provided #20 is always running a route and not pass blocking.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

It's small sample size, as you say, so it doesn't really mean anything, but a 75% catch rate and 7.1 ypa receiving are terrible numbers for a RB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Agreed with the general point...

Allow me to add that he will get plenty of touches as the starter in 2022.

He can be extended on the cheap and can share time with a 3rd round pick in the next two drafts, and cap dollars for the RB position can get back in line with where they need to be.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
I just don't see how he will get many more touches than he did last year either.

Maybe the Cowboys won't punt this year. One way to get more offensive snaps.
yes maybe you are right. Bur maybe its going to be more of HOW he is used . With Lamb in the slot it will be tough to get Pollard much more. Its a nice problem for Moore to have.