Video: Tony Pollard's rookie season

Verdict

Reaction score
He shows pretty good balance and breaks more tackles than I thought he would.
He definitely runs tough.

Kellen Moore supposedly wanted him badly. Seems like young Kellen has a much better eye for talent than old man Marinelli.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He shows pretty good balance and breaks more tackles than I thought he would.
He definitely runs tough.

Definitely about as good as a one two punch as you could hope for. The compliment each other perfectly. Lets hope that McCarthy doesnt waste Pollard on a 80/20 split or worse.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Playing time mismanaged.

Recurring theme under what's-his-name.

Really looking forward to how McCarthy uses him.

Zman5

Reaction score
Dont wanna derail the thread, but can you guys look at the video carefully and spot Jarwin and his blocking, it seems like he was in a lot on the Pollard runs.
To call him a useless blocker is exaggerated imo.

And notice the last run vs Wash - threw a nice combo block.

He blocked much better this year than people give him credit for and Witten blocked much worse . That's how it works with some folks. They form an opinion from narratives and previous reputations and just regurgitate the same BS. Some people need to watch the games more closely. I actually think we'll be fine at TE with him and Schultz and another good blocking TE next year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
A great addition to this team. A one two punch. We need to take a look at how the Saints utilized Kamara and Ingram because thats what we have right now. Thunder and lighting.
Cowboys offense would've scored alot more points if they didnt use Pollard strictly as a RB. The way the niners used Samuels. Back field, reverses, slot. He so dynamic that its a deservice for him not be on the field more even its not at RB. I dont think he could handle 30-35 touches like Elliot can but that dont mean he cant get 10 carries and 3-6 receptions. I know they were running an outdated system but Moore and his younger thinking should've found ways to use him in other areas.

Zman5

Reaction score
Pollard is a perfect WCO back. If he played for Fat Andy, I think he could have had a career similar to Brian Westbrook. I'm hoping MM can use him like how Reid used Westbrook.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Playing time mismanaged.

Recurring theme under what's-his-name.

Really looking forward to how McCarthy uses him.
Cant blame JG for playing time. He made it clear on radio that playing time and substitions play calling was all Moore choices.

Right or wrong throwing his coaches under the bus hes not tippie toeing around the answers he's saying whos fault it was..

quickccc

Reaction score
A great addition to this team. A one two punch. We need to take a look at how the Saints utilized Kamara and Ingram because thats what we have right now. Thunder and lighting.

except zeke should be back to his thunder/lightning combo...that's what made him so special .and the 4th overall pick in the draft.
Much better impact player than Ingram. and a better overall player than Kamara, imo.
That's what i'm so ready for us to re-vamp zeke and role of the RBs in McCarthy's offense.
Get him back to "splash" plays that defenses used to fear so much from him.

But i get the one-two punch notion. Pollard is a whole deal much better than the likes of Rod Smith, Morrris, Dunbar and D-Mac.
sad that it took so long for cowboys to realize how much we needed a true capable backup RB behind zeke.

quickccc

Reaction score
i never thought he'd be as tough and strong in his lower body legs than he is.
Showed surprising power between the tackles and i was impressed with his vision and patience in sensing developing blocking.

Totally dispelled all the" in space " and " gimmick/gadget' player that was tagged on him per draft day.

He's a back, and he has attributes and potential we still haven't since yet. Both RBs were severly under used as receivers in pass game
under kellen moore, imo. i saw the two or three nice plays with pollard in detroit game where he scored TD from slot, .. and zeke in a flair TD vd detroit same game ..and finally final Skins game with zeke top tapper. .... but overall the quick screen that uded to be so deadly was zero and vastly ineffective

quickccc

Reaction score
i really want a that idea RB coach in perhap Slayton to help revise the RB in McCarthy offense to be far more quicker, more quicker hitting, more into 2nd level of defenders, and make a much bigger impact in pass game with quick swings, screen passes, bubble screens,..slots, wheel routes, etc.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
With Fassel, I’m excited to see Pollard in the return game. Could be a game changer

If Tavon doesn’t return I’d expect to see Pollard returning punts. Fassel was Tavon’s ST’s Coach in LA though so I wonder if he’ll want to bring Tavon back?

cern

Reaction score
Great punt returners are as rare as franchise qb's, shut down corners, or run stuffing dt's. Just don't fumble the ball.